50extra - My weight loss journey with all the embarrassing details

Options

Replies

• 50extra
    50extra Posts: 751 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Phone wouldn't let me post another picture on the last reply.

• 50extra
    Options
    Anyways, with two large bears outside of my trailer I figured i would cuddle up next to my wife and stay in bed for a couple more hours.

We head home tomorrow for a week or so then I'm back down here for a month. Hoping to get back to low calories tomorrow for a bit. Might even try to take the assault bike for a rip when I get home.

I am happy that I stuck to what I said, even though my calories are way high, at least I recorded everything and acknowledged what I was putting in my mouth. To me that's a step towards long term maintenance, if I can ever get to that point.

I'll check back in when I get home.
  • WifiresGettingFit
    WifiresGettingFit Posts: 1,773 Member
    Options
    Such beautiful scenery! It's relaxing just looking at it!

I saw the couple of visitors you had in the morning, what a sight to wake up to!
  • 50extra
    Options
    So apparently it's been a week since I posted on here. That means that a really long post that I did went MIA. Since my last post things have been hit and miss. My food recording has stopped for the last several days but my activity level has been decent.

I am heading back to the lake on Wednesday for four weeks or so, I am really looking forward to it. It's the first time that I will have my daughter alone for that long because Momma doesn't get there until the next Thursday. Hopefully I have actually learned how to parent good enough to get through :smile:

My weight has snuck up a bit, we had two different parties on the weekend so there was lots of food and beer consumed. That being said, I did an 11 pound pulled pork and absolutely nailed it.

My goal for the rest of the shift home is to strictly maintain. Even if I gain a pound or two I will be happy, but if I can maintain I will be over the moon.

Will check back in once I hit the lake, our neighbors have sent us pictures and the bears have been back through the place. They knocked over my barbecue again and it looks like they clawed at it pretty good. If they wrecked it I'm going to be pretty pssd off.
  • PrimalJillian
    PrimalJillian Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    Four weeks at the lake...I'm jealous. I'm sure you'll do just fine as solo Daddy for a bit.
  • WifiresGettingFit
    Options
    I hope you enjoy the time at the lake! Hopefully there isn't too much damage to your grill.
  • totaldetermination
    totaldetermination Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Gosh that lake looks beautiful, though I'm not so sure about the bears that come with it !

I hope that you are enjoying the time with your family, and especially your daughter. precious moments :smile:.
  • WifiresGettingFit
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I hope you're enjoying your time at the lake! I look forward to getting an update from you!
  • 50extra
    Options
    Hey everyone! So it's been over five months since I have posted. Guess what? I have found EVERY SINGLE pound that I lost. The morning I left to come to work I was 242, and that is on my nice scale, not the mean one that I have at my apartment here in Russia. I fly out of here on January 25th and hope to make some serious progress by then. I am going back down to a pretty low calorie diet to get there.

So I'm back at this and am serious about it again. Near the start of the year I was 204lbs so being back up to 242 took a lot of effort, beer, and over indulging. At least I know what needs to be done to get back down there again, hopefully this time it wont take so long. I am going to do a very quick recap of how things have gone over the last few months.

So my last post was July 11th and that was pretty much the last day that I put any effort into being healthy. I stayed down at the lake until the start of August and it was fantastic. After summer holidays I was supposed to head back into work for three and a half weeks but when I landed in Germany I got a call telling me that there was something that needed attention at home and after two nights in Hannover i flew home never coming to Russia. Today is my first day back overseas since then.

At the start of September we welcomed our little boy into the world so that was pretty sweet too. Two kids is way more than twice the work of one!

On November 1st we opened the doors to a mechanic repair shop that I bought into, so life got a bunch busier than expected with that too.

I finished up the work in Canada that I was sent back home to do on December 13th so we decided to book a cheeky week long trip to Hawaii on December 15th. It was fantastic to do an impulse trip like that and my wife's parents even decided to come which made it a bit easier to handle the kids.

The trip to Hawaii is actually what has spurred the motivation to get back into shape. Both the wife and I aren't happy with how we look in bathing suits. She's not happy with how slow the weight is coming off since giving birth and I miss what I was starting to look like in the low 200s. We made a deal that when we both get down to our goal weights, mine is 202, and hers is 129 that we are going to go on another vacation. We are thinking that we would like to go to Tamarindo Costa Rica and scout out some places for when we decide to pull the trigger on buying a winter vacation property.

So anyways, that's a rough breakdown of what has been happening with my life for the last little bit. I have said it before and i will again now, sticking to MFP and this group is the best way that I can motivate myself to stay on track. I am starting over from scratch but this time I have the base of knowledge needed to succeed.
  • 50extra
    Options
    Oh one more thing. I got myself a new piece of fitness wear. My wife bought me a Garmin Fenix 5x for Christmas and I absolutely love it! I bought one online back in like August or something but ended up getting ripped off for the purchase so I am super pumped that I finally got one!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Welcome back!!! Glad to hear from you again, and congratulations on the new addition to the family! I'm sure you will make great progress, and it's awesome that you and your wife are both on the same journey!!!
  • WifiresGettingFit
    Options
    Welcome back! It's nice to see a post from you, I have no doubt you'll reach your goals, look forward to your next update and following along in your journey! Also, Congratulations on the birth of your son!
  • 50extra
    Options
    Thanks guys.

So yesterday as I mentioned was my first day back at work. I didn't eat very much due to being dead tired as well as having minimal groceries in the apartment, I'll take it though, one day of low calories isn't going to hurt me. So being New Years Eve, we let the nationals go home early which meant that I left early too which was rather glorious. I got home and pondered what I was going to do to start losing weight again and for some reason decided to start Insanity again. Well... It didn't go so well. I made it to the 20 minute mark before both of my calves started to cramp up pretty bad. It was bad enough that I had to stop. The only good news was that I hopped on the bike and went for a little 20 minute ride to get a little bit of a burn, after that it was a shower and bed at 9:30. Yesterday was officially my lamest new years eve ever.

So my deficit looked huge from yesterday.

Calories in 1128 Calories out 3665 for a deficit of 2537. I'm not to sure that I trust the Garmin daily calories amount yet but I will stick to it and see how things go.

This morning I set my alarm for 4:30 and got up, got motivated and went outside for a walk. I left the apartment at around 5am and managed a 40 minute walk before I started to freeze up. I really wish I had a pair of long johns here because the only part that was starting to worry me was my legs. I could have gone longer if I was a touch warmer. It was only -17 this morning and I am hoping that it doesn't cool down too much more so I can get more morning walks in this trip.

I am not too sure what will be on the agenda for tonight's workout. My legs are pretty jacked up today but surely I will do something to get moving.

I will be checking in tomorrow. Hope everyone had more fun on NYE then I did.
  • 50extra
    Options
    So last night wasn't as good as I was hoping. I got home and procrastinated, then procrastinated some more then decided to hop on my bike. 8 minutes into my ride a buddy from Australia called me and we ended up chatting until around midnight. Needless to say I didn't get a good workout in last night. Regardless everything was in check when it comes to calories in vs. calories out.

Calories in were 1785 calories out were 3410 for a deficit of 1625.

My goal is to keep the deficit around 1000 per day to give me the 2lbs loss per week but I will take the larger gap when i can get it. I am really skeptical about the calorie burn that Garmin gives me but everything I read it says that the longer you wear the watch the more accurate it gets.

After staying up so late I still set my alarm for 5am but didn't crawl out until 530. I solved my cold leg problem by putting on two pairs of jeans but I have some other issues to deal with. First my workout shoes are pretty much toast. I have put them on without undoing them too many times and the back of the shoes are all bulged out. I already have a blister on the back of my ankle from this. New shoes will be a top priority when I get home. The second problem is that it was only -10 this morning but the wind was howling. After 8 minutes of walking my heel was on the verge of bleeding and my face was absolutely frozen. Moving forward I am going to have to walk in my work boots and find something to put over my face.

So today with the lack of exercise this morning I am going to have to make a conscious effort to get up from my computer desk and get some steps in. I know from experience that it's really hard to get the calorie burn after 13 hours of sitting at a desk.

Oh booked a trip down to Phoenix for three weeks in April. Hopefully I can get to a respectable point before then because historically that throws me off quite a bit in the weight loss department.

Same as before, I will make sure to check in tomorrow.
  • 50extra
    Options
    So last night I finally went and got some groceries and ended up cooking my meals for the next week and a bit. Was pretty wiped by the time the shopping and cooking was done and didn't feel like working out. Thankfully I wasn't glued to my chair for the entire 13 hours at work and was able to get some decent steps in yesterday. Calories were in check.

Now that I write that, I am going to keep a running total of my calorie deficit for this shift and then compare it what the scale shows once I get home and hopefully that will tell me if my Fenix 5 watch is giving accurate calorie burns.

So yesterday, calories in 2004 calories out 3632 for a deficit of 1628

Running deficit total for January 5790
    Theoretical weight loss for January 1.65lbs

This morning I was again able to crawl out of bed by 5:30 or so and bundled up for my walk. Two pairs of jeans, work boots, toque, gloves and a t-shirt tied around my neck and face to block the wind. I probably didn't look all that great but there aren't too many people out and about at that time so I don't really care what I look like :smile: I walked for 43 minutes. The wind was howling again and it dropped to -17 so I was pretty much frozen by the time I got back to the apartment. If it gets much colder I will have to shorten my walks substantially because even at that temperature my jacket isn't warm enough. After 8 years of doing this you would think that I would be a little better prepared. Might have to take home my coveralls and start walking in them.

Anyways that's about it for today.
  • 50extra
    Options
    Yesterday was a successful day to say the least.

After arriving to my apartment from work I sat down on my bed and opened my ipad. Just as I started to get lazy I forced myself to get up and went for a 31 minute bike ride. It was well needed because I literally didn't leave my office yesterday for 12 hours except to go to the bathroom. The bike ride coupled with the walk in the morning gave me right around the calorie burn I needed for the day. I did notice that after my ride I was feeling a little bit dizzy/light headed so I had a yogurt drink and it cleared it right up.

Calories in 1837 (although it feels like I'm forgetting something) calories out 3595 for a deficit of 1758

Running deficit total for January 7548
    Theoretical weight loss for January 2.16lbs

Thankfully I went to bed earlier last night and getting up early today was no big deal. I think I found the magical amount of clothes and it is to wear my coveralls. It was -17 again today and the only thing that was cold was my face. The t-shirt that I am tying around my mouth and neck is helping. I mustered up a 52 minute walk.

I do find that the first week of staying motivated is the easiest, after that my determination tapers off. One thing that I am changing this shift is zero alcohol. Usually I go out one night for a meal and beers but end up going 2000+ calories for the day. The next day I am hungover so I don't eat right nor do I workout and it costs me almost 2lbs of loss for the shift. Will have to see how it all goes.
  • WifiresGettingFit
    Options
    It's single digits here and I don't go out unless I have to so I commend you for walking in negative temps. Seems you're on a good path, keep it up!
  • tcunbeliever
    Options
    It's like 20 here and I don't want to go walking in the cold, I can't even imagine walking in the temps you are facing, way to go!
  • 50extra
    Options
    It's not THAT bad I guess, but you guys got to remember I'm Canadian so when I say it's -18 that's like 0 degrees F. Probably not as cold as you think it is.

When I got home last night I was right wiped so I didn't do any workout.

Calories in 2028 calories out 3419 for a deficit of 1391

Running deficit 8939
    Theoretical weight lost 2.55

This morning when I woke my feet were still really soft and sore from picking up the walking lately. I decided that I would ride my bike instead of walking. I hopped on the bike and immediately knew that wasn't going to work either because I'm sore from sitting on the seat. I managed a 20 minute ride and then went outside for a walk anyways. I went up to the church and back, took me 33 minutes. I even counted the steps at the church, 185 steps up, 185 steps down!

The calorie burn so far today isn't where it needs to be but will try to work on it some more this afternoon. Also I'm starving today so it might be a challenge to keep it in check.

• tcunbeliever
    Options
    Hang in there, you still have a really steep deficit!