Good cardio exercise during SPD/pelvic girdle pain?

Options
So I am about 22 weeks and SPD seems to be setting in again..... Lots of pelvic pain today, to the point of struggling to get into the car. I have read conflicting advice about cycling (which I do every day) and swimming breaststroke (my preferred stroke, and I swim a couple of times a week) is a definite no, so I am on the hunt for new cardio.

Does anyone have any experience with SPD in pregnancy? I would like to keep on exercising to keep the weight under some control, but not sure is best. I though possibly rowing as it keeps the pelvis stable, but the bump may get in the way?

Replies

• steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I had wicked pain that lasted about 4 weeks (27-31) where I could barely walk, and then intermittent flare ups there after. I continued to cycle because it was one of the only exercises that didn't aggravate it, and i also rowed. Elliptical, running, weights(lower body) were impossible.
  • EmmaDetermined
    EmmaDetermined Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Fern! Your boy looks so cute! I am glad to hear cycling was ok for you, as I can continue with that at home. I think I will try the rowing machines in the gym (normally detest them but...) and then possibly get one for home if that is a better option. I start antenatal yoga in a couple of weeks too, maybe that will help realign things a little.
  • steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    The only thing I found that helped was wearing an SI belt. I purchased one from a bracing store and it allowed me to continue walking my dog (which I had no option of not doing). They let me try a bunch of pelvic support braces before purchasing, the one I bought immediately reduced the pain when I put it on in the store and tried walking. If it doesn't do that it's not worth buying. Luckily the severe pain only lasted four weeks. I think it had to do with the baby's position. He was transverse and then when he flipped into head down things improved.
  • LaurenBraddy
    LaurenBraddy Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I will see my chiropractor regularly for spd this pregnancy. I'm only 16 weeks and I feel it starting to flair, which is terrifying. With my last pregnancy I really enjoyed rowing a d even got a home rowing machine.