What are some new foods that you've tried? And have they helped or hindered?

I thought I would start another thread. I heard about bone broth and decided to give it a shot. Made my second batch over the last few days adding many new vegetables and beans to it as well the seasonings. One thing I like about making Broths or soups is that gives you an opportunity to try new vegetables. Has anyone else heard of or tried bone broth?

Replies

• jlowejharrinjann
    jlowejharrinjann Posts: 14 Member
    I heard of it an tried it once or twice . Taste was good. I am not a big fan of soups, so I haven't made it sense. But I heard it is very good for you.
  • jlowejharrinjann
    jlowejharrinjann Posts: 14 Member
    I found a recipe for mustard glazed chicken thighs that it is one of favorite meals. Easy to make in advance and freeze some so I have it during the work week. You basically use gluten free mustard, sage and sea salt to put on top of the chicken. Oh and I recently found a cherry bbq sauce recipe that is wonderful http://autoimmune-paleo.com/nightshade-free-cherry-bbq-sauce/
  • I heard of it an tried it once or twice . Taste was good. I am not a big fan of soups, so I haven't made it sense. But I heard it is very good for you.

You can also thicken the broth and use as a gravy.
  • I found a recipe for mustard glazed chicken thighs that it is one of favorite meals. Easy to make in advance and freeze some so I have it during the work week. You basically use gluten free mustard, sage and sea salt to put on top of the chicken. Oh and I recently found a cherry bbq sauce recipe that is wonderful http://autoimmune-paleo.com/nightshade-free-cherry-bbq-sauce/

That sounds good, I will have to try that!
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    edited March 2016
    I really found the Autoimmune Paleo diet eye-opening. The AIP is an elimination diet-- you remove inflammatory foods for a month or more, then very gradually re-introduce them one at a time, about one reintroduction a month. It lets you see how different foods affect you, as an individual. Go to PaleoMom's website for the best, freely available info on it.

I was amazed at what was triggering my symptoms.

I also find that bone broth helps me a lot! If I don't have any, I use hydrolyzed gelatin to dissolve in my drinks. (I use the Great Lakes Gelatin brand, the green tin is hydrolyzed and will dissolve, not gel). Same benefits as the bone broth, but lighter to transport if you're traveling, and flavorless if you don't like the taste of bone broth.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Finally getting off of sugar and all forms of grains finally has my pain and flairs management better than any Rx meds ever. I think what works can vary greatly from person to person.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Jealous of all the food you guys can eat. Gotta love Crohn's
  • Cheesy567
    Jealous of all the food you guys can eat. Gotta love Crohn's

It's interesting how AI affects so many body systems so differently, isn't it? I'm jealous of all the exercise people can get, I've been on bed rest for a couple of months now (some days I can get out of the house though). But, pity parties don't do anything to help me, so I try to take control of what I can!

How does the Chron's affect you? What things *can* you eat? How does one go about re-introducing foods with Chron's?
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Bone broth unpredictable re heal or inflame. Coconut macaroons n strawberry cheesecake win awards for small taster samples creating major sneezing and eye watering hayfever like response. Btw half day older macaroon reaction is worse than fresh. Old red curry paste (jar open a week) Avocado, tomato, old cheese, even young cheese and a few other veg are on my headache causing, sinus pain, cause agent suspect list. Thinking histamines may be the link.

Green leafies are mostly my friends as is meat, fresh fish , nori and asparagus. Still investigating n learning.
  • Akgramma
    Akgramma Posts: 66 Member
    What is the AIP diet?
  • Cheesy567
    Akgramma wrote: »
    What is the AIP diet?

The Paleo AutoImmune Protocol. There's a bunch of info about it at the PaleoMom's website. (She wrote a book about it, but has kept all the information freely available on her blog).
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    edited June 2016
    Last weekend I read: The Fast Metabolism Diet: Lose Up to 20 Pounds in 28 Days: Eat More Food & Lose More Weight by Haylie Pomroy. Monday and this evening I ate a lot of whole food carbs that knocked me out of ketosis for about 18-24 hours and I will see for how long tomorrow to get back into ketosis. Her way is 2 days of high carbs, 2 days of high protein then three days of LCHF to speed up one's metabolism and lose weight. It is still no sugar, wheat, etc but I am eating 30-60 grams of D-Ribose sugar daily now.

Eating whole foods like cold slaw, beans, cabbage, beets, black eyed pies after living in a state of nutritional ketosis.

I have lost some weight this week but it could be other factors.
  • xabachay
    xabachay Posts: 12 Member
    edited August 2016
    I like roqegh blood pie.... but im Klingon...so....

The more veggies the better. A little meat fat is totally good for us with autoimmunes that center with inflammation. As well, look into pistachios and any inflamation reducing foods.

Another tip: research diet by blood type. For me... its dang near Gospel. I've found the foods im not supposed to eat, i dont lime or give me heart burn if i do like them. Like 'taters. Loves me some 'taters. Fried, mashed, pancakes... i dont care. I love me some taters. But man, do i pay for it. Look into it, its actually pretty interesting and has helped me quite a bit .

GET RID OF CARBS! Carbs should be about 10% of your diet, and come from green leafies... not bread.
  • dea131313
    dea131313 Posts: 13 Member
    I have heard of the bone broth, also good for the Leaky Gut Syndrome... Myself I have not tried it, looks a lot of work. But I do know a few people with PMR ( Polymyalgia rheumatica ) like myself who have been on it for 6 months and not only lost weight but their auto immune disease is better, it's very good for inflammation.
    So I will look into it again and try it... This is a old thread so just wondering Kimberly if it worked for you in the end..

I do agree and have finally got through my head that Carbs and sugar are very bad for inflammation so I have been working on that.

Gentle Healing : Dea
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    One thing that has been a life saver has been olive leaf tea, actually. I collect leaves myself, but you can buy online, or there is olive leaf extract that is supposed to be more effective (research on this always uses the latin name for olive trees, if you want to track any down, ^_^).

Basically, it has certain bioflavonoids that stabilize mast cells and make them less likely to dump their contents. And since mast cells release inflammatory mediators, among other things, it is supposed to help some with potentially lowering inflammation.

Quercetin and luteolin are the two substances I know of in it. There are other plants that are high in these that have help me some too- guava leaf tea, and fresh thyme.