Cheryl's journal

Options
LuvHinesWard86
LuvHinesWard86 Posts: 104 Member
edited February 2016 in Social Groups
I've only been at this 3 days but each day is getting easier. Feel like I'm back on the right track. Lets hope I can get this right this time.

Replies

• 50extra
    50extra Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Hey Cheryl, care to tell us a bit about yourself? Or what kind of goals you are looking to achieve?
  • LuvHinesWard86
    Options
    I am 46 years old. 5' 3 1/2" and 194 lbs. Other than pregnancy this is my heaviest ever. I had tried to lose weight practically all my life. In Oct. 2007 I joined Weight Watchers. I lost 46.4 lbs. and reach my goal of 146 in 7 months and maintained for 4 years. Then things started happening, our WW meeting in my town was closed - had to go to a different meeting, then a few months later our leader quit and the time changed and it wasn't convenient for me to go to meetings anymore. Then they changed the program (I think they do that to make people gain weight or stop losing) and that was the end of me being thin. Took me 3 years to gain it all back but it is back plus a couple. I have to do this without paying money again. I know I can do it...I just have to put my mind to it.
  • LuvHinesWard86
    Options
    Two of my biggest challenges are weekends and when I allow myself to "splurge" a little. Seems like its tough for me to get back on track.
  • 50extra
    Options
    I have faith in you knowing that you did it once, you most certainly can and will do it again. Have you started tracking your food intake on here?
  • LuvHinesWard86
    Options
    Thank you. Yes, I have started tracking on here. My diary is public. You will notice I like snacking much better than actual meals. Hubby and I bowl tonight. I think we're going to stop at Pizza Hut before.
  • LuvHinesWard86
    Options
    LOL just noticed I don't know how to spell journal :blush: in my title.
  • LuvHinesWard86
    Options
    Here I am doing ok and I'm afraid to weigh myself. What if I don't get the result I'm looking for? Would I get discourage and give up again? I don't know what to do...
  • totaldetermination
    totaldetermination Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    The number shown on the scale can vary for many reasons, including how much food is in your stomach and bowels, and how much water your body is holding (due to certain foods or exercise). These are temporary gains that come and go - for example you can lose a lb or 2 just by going to the toilet. Unfortunately, these 'gains' can hide fat loss when you weigh yourself, because its impossible to know how much of the number you are seeing is coming from these temporary amounts.

The point I'm trying to make is that even if you have lost a few pounds, its possible that the scale will show the exact same number as when you started, because of the 'temporary gains' I mentioned above. It might even show a higher number, but that doesn't mean that you haven't lost fat.

I'm not trying to worry you - I'm just trying to say that you shouldn't put too much emphasis on one scale reading.

To me there are really only 2 reasons to weigh yourself.
    1. It can be motivating to see the scale go down
    2. If the scale is consistently not going down (and I mean for a month, or so), it could be that you need to measure your calories eaten or calories burned more accurately.

As I understand it, you have only been doing this for a week ? That means its too soon to judge number 2.

So I guess its just number 1.
    How is your motivation ? Are you motivated to continue ? If so then there is no rush to weigh yourself, especially if it might cause you stress. Also, the longer you leave it the more likely it is to show a bigger loss.

The alternative (and this is what I do) is to weigh yourself every day, and take an average for the week. You can compare this weeks average to last weeks to see if there has been a difference. Taking an average tends to balance out all those 'temporary gains', so you get a more accurate picture of your week to week loss.
    But I warn you, the scale will go up and down daily so if that is going to worry you then this probably isn't the method for you.

Good luck, and remember whether or not you weigh yourself doesn't affect how quickly you lose the weight - so don't worry too much about it :smile:.
  • LuvHinesWard86
    Options
    I did weigh myself when I got home from work. It did go down (yay). When I was doing Weight Watchers I was almost obsessed with the scale. Every morning, after dinner, before bed. I am very motivated to keep going because I have so many clothes that currently don't fit me. I have bought a few things in a bigger size but have decided to stop doing that and get back into what I already have.
  • 50extra
    Options
    Well that is fantastic that it went down! Are you happy with what you are seeing? Or do you need to adjust a little bit moving forward?
  • LuvHinesWard86
    Options
    I know after the first week it'll be slow going and that's ok. I'm determined to be back in my clothes. I should put an adjusted weight in. Figuring I lost 3-4 lbs. last week. Not sure if I should be conservative and say 3 or optimistic and say 4. :)
  • 50extra
    Options
    The best part about it your profile is you can do whatever you would like. Its yours. Personally I would use the lower number so that it helps ensure i get losses next week too.
  • totaldetermination
    Options
    Either way its a great loss!
  • LottieStanley
    LottieStanley Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    It is a great loss. I became obsessed with the scale the last time I did this. It was to the point where it defined how I felt for the day. I've decided on once a month this time around. Although I did jump on about three weeks in cause I was curious. This site is great for the motivation and the help from others who have been there or are still working on it. I love that we support each other. Have a great evening.
  • LuvHinesWard86
    Options
    Thanks. I am really motivated by the support here.
  • LuvHinesWard86
    Options
    I had a rough couple days but I think I'm back on track. Worked out a little today and ate better. Weekends tend to hurt me. Trying to motivate myself thru it.
  • kettiecat
    kettiecat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Can you bank a 100 calories a day so you don't feel so negative about your weekends?
  • cmr3399
    cmr3399 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Weekends are rough for me too. I tend to be so much more structured during the week. This is something I am working big time on. I am a little obsessive about the scale as well. Some days I weigh 2 times a day...then the week of my TOM I realized I need to completely stay off because it never reflects a proper number and this just depresses me. At least I took a step back and realized it however, or I would have anxiety spiraled out of the game this time around. I look forward to reading of your progress.
  • totaldetermination
    Options
    Well done for getting yourself back on track. I think almost everyone wobbles (or falls) during this process; so being able to get back on track is an important skill to have.
  • LottieStanley
    LottieStanley Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Yes it is, keep at it and don't give up