Western States 100 mile race

Options
Jonathanfales
Jonathanfales Posts: 38 Member
Complete play by play action available at www.sftrails.com. Read the full report that breaks it down aid station by aid station.
http://www.sftrails.com/2013/06/when-it-comes-to-ultra-running-wser-100.html

Replies

• sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    irunfar.com did a pretty awesome job with their coverage as well :smile:
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    So awesome that the OP pulled photos off their Twitter feed. I recognize many of them. iRunFar's coverage along with the runner stats updates from ultralive.net kept me glued to my iPhone. Yes, amazing job. I actually had a few friends on the course tweeting for iRunFar.

I was at Foresthill AS and saw the elite men and women go through. It was insanely hot. The announcer brought up an interesting stat. Same time last year 100 runners had come through. This year 30.

I was there to pace a friend but dropped before reaching me. So I headed back to the finish line and watched the elites come in. Really amazing performances on a day with super tough conditions.
  • sarahc001
    Options
    I can't even imagine how insane it must have been out there. I spent Saturday on my iPad...my husband thought it was nuts. Sunday from 1-2pm (EDT) I was glued to ultralive trying to send positive vibes to the last runners still out on the course.

@jturnerx did you hear about this? (it's in the irunfar WS results article comments):
    Dan T says:
    June 30, 2013 at 4:26 pm
    I was at Rucky Chucky, waiting to pace my runner to the finish at about 1:30 AM when I heard a woman offer to pace a guy who was running solo. I thought she looked familiar so when she stuck out her hand and said, “I’m Ann,” the light bulb in my head went off. The guy asks her if she knows the course, she smiles and says, “Yep.” Dude had no idea (at least initially) that Ann Trason was going to be his pacer. I understood that she was there to pace a friend, but maybe they dropped? I thought it was incredible jester and a story this guy will be able to tell for years. Another word of thanks to Tim Twietmeyer and Nikki Kimball for cheering the runners in coming up to Robie Point.

It would have been great to be there. One day. Pushing for a qualifying time at JFK in November (it's after the cutoff for 2014- I'm hoping to qualify for 2015) and then I'll throw my hat in the lottery. I'll be out in May next year for the training runs, regardless!
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Yes, I did read that comment about Ann Trason. My jaw dropped to the floor when I read that. lol

I qualified to enter the WS lottery so I am putting my name in the hat in December. My chances of getting in aren't great as a first timer and I have historically terrible luck with lotteries. I can only hope.
  • sarahc001
    Options
    Best of luck with the lottery! Sorry your friend dropped, btw. What a rough day it must have been. You going out for the training runs next May?
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I paced a friend (Jeremy Alsop) this year from Foresthill (Mile 62) to Rucky Chucky (78). Awesome event, and Jeremy was doing great, so that made it very enjoyable for both of us. He ended up finishing in 22:45, easily earning his 24-hour medal in some stifling heat. The Rucky Chucky crossing was a lot of fun! Not so much fun: Walking 4 miles to the car up a steep hill on the other side...
  • sarahc001
    Options
    Congrats to your friend!
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Congrats to your friend!

Thanks!

Here is my recap:

http://mungerruns.blogspot.com/2013/07/the-western-states-experience.html
  • sarahc001