Smiphette: Finding a New Normal

Options
2»

Replies

• smiphette
    smiphette Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Back on the wagon and tracking again consistently. I am finally starting to get over this nasty cold, so I am starting to be able to work out a little. Holding off on cardio for a while, but over all positive. As of today, I am still down 10lbs total since I started.
  • LottieStanley
    LottieStanley Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    That's great !!! Did you draw your profile picture?
  • smiphette
    Options
    I wish. But it looks a lot like me, right down to the bad posture :)
  • Kell2912
    Kell2912 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    glad you're starting to feel better. Be kind to your body and ease back into things
  • WifiresGettingFit
    WifiresGettingFit Posts: 1,773 Member
    Options
    Way to go on the first 10 pounds! Glad you're feeling better! :)
  • smiphette
    Options
    It's been a while since I posted. I joined a spring challenge that is a little more social than I am comfortable with, so I've been withdrawing in other areas. I am still on track in spite of challenges.

After I finally kicked the cold, I had a work trip to Las Vegas. Not a place you want to be if you have post-concussion issues with auditory and visual stimuli. I made it through, but not gracefully. I got plenty of exercise, but my eating was a mess.

As I think about this journey so far, I am buoyed by the fact that I am continuing to progress through positive and negative. I am not getting stuck in the manic cycle of thinking I am a lost cause if I am not perfect. Whether it is perfection or a train wreck, one meal, workout, or day does not have to define my self worth.

This week I am starting to notice some new muscle definition. And I have started to pull out some clothes that are designed to flatter, not just cover my shape.
  • Kell2912
    Options
    You are way more than just one day in your life. You are awesome and will continue to be awesome wherever this journey leads you. Never forget that my friend.

Also yay for the muscle definition and flattering clothes. You rock
  • mimi2974
    mimi2974 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Smiphette,

Great attitude! A TBI can really wreak havoc on your life. Good to see you're working through that.
  • LottieStanley
    Options
    I think you have learned the key, pushing through the negative and enjoying the positive. I can't wait till I can quit hiding my body. Congrats that you can show yours off B)
  • smiphette
    Options
    I am having an issue with a tendon or something in my non-dominant hand. I can barely grip a coffee cup, so weights are out this week.

So I have been running... and it has been awesome. I have been doing the jog 30sec / run 20sec / sprint 10sec intervals for a while slowly increasing my pace for run and sprint. Today I was doing run @ 6.6 mph and sprints @ 7.7 mph, which is a pretty big increase from my starting point of walk @ 3.5/ jog @ 5.5 / run @ 6.0 in Jan.

I am seeing the doc tomorrow about the hand.
  • 50extra
    50extra Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Those are fantastic speeds. Being able to run continuously at 6.6 is a blistering pace and 7.7 is a real nice sprint speed too. Good luck with the hand, did you do something that you can think of that may have hurt it?
  • smiphette
    Options
    It's a likely combination of weights, yoga, and aggressive spacebar-ing that set the thumb off. Doc says 2-4 weeks splinted if I behave. So I am going to enjoy the running and walking for a while. It's been July-like weather in Seattle lately, so easy to find reasons to go tool around.
  • LottieStanley
    Options
    My daughter lives in Oregon and she's been letting me know how awesome the weather is. I'm in Kentucky and we had freeze warnings. Enjoy your walks/runs.
  • WifiresGettingFit
    WifiresGettingFit Posts: 1,773 Member
    Options
    I'm in PA and it's been snow and rain here over the last week. I want the sunshine back! haha
    I hope your thumb makes a quick/full recovery! :)
  • Kell2912
    Options
    Woo hoo great progress on the running.

Shame about your hand though. Perhaps a bit of tendinitis happening there??? Hope it settles soon