Low energy and chronic pain in exercise

Options
Hi. I have had Fibro/chronic fatigue since 2004 and I have gained 40 lbs being bedridden. I have tried several "diets" and gained weight on all of them. I can only exercise about 30 min per day due to pain/fatigue. I was eating about 800 cal. per day, but since adding a few carbs find my appetite has increased and I am growing again. Last year I lost and gained 17 lbs. I feel sick my stomach is so big. I dont know what to do. I'm 51 and up until age 49, I was still being asked when "I'm due". OMG, embarrassing. Can anyone relate? I feel like Im the only person ever to gain weight giving up all carbs/sugar for a year and gained weight. Frustrated...scared. I don't want to look like this forever. I used to be an athletic 138 lbs until getting injured. Any suggestions?

Replies

• sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I also have fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome. I was diagnosed last year but realize that I've had symptoms for over a decade. My son is 18 and I'm still claiming "baby weight" even though I weigh a good 60 lbs more than I did when I gave birth to him! I have been on My Fitness Pal off an on for years and I have found that if I'm honest about my activity level and honest about what I'm eating... I lose weight. HOWEVER, my downfall each time has been that I can only sustain exercise for a week or two before something catastrophic happens... I get sick, my plantar fasciitis acts up, my joints ache to the point that I can't walk... I used to think I was just sabotaging myself and that I "didn't want it bad enough" - but I now know that my Chronic Fatigue and Fibro kicked in.

So, this time - I calculated my calories using "sedentary" as my lifestyle and being honest that I'm not going to exercise. Perhaps as I lose weight and feel better I can begin exercising regularly - but I can't even commit to 15-20 minutes a day... all of my energy is used trying to live my life - clean my house, do dishes, laundry, etc.

800 calories is too low. Really you should never go below 1200 calories. If you are only taking in 800 calories a day there is a really good chance that your body is going to hold on to every calorie it can and you will not lose weight.

I try to eat lower carb. I am not eating pasta, rice, sugary anything... but I do eat fruit, vegetables, one piece of whole grain bread a day and will occasionally use a sauce that has some sugar in it. In the past week I have lost 9 pounds. I fully expect that to slow down - but I'm happy with the direction the scale is going.

What medicines are you taking for your fibro? Remember that may be a contributing factor. I take Savella and then flexeril and klonopin as needed. Savella has been a God-send, but it is not without it's awful side effects - I have hot flashes and cold spells that are awful... I sweat like someone running a marathon. It sometimes makes me nauseous, but it hasn't been too bad. I still have some bad days - but NOTHING like I did before being medicated.

I wish you luck and if you need support, I'm here. We can do this!
  • allieatkinson77
    allieatkinson77 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Heya ladies.
    I have had CFS/fibro for at least 7 years (that's when I became bed-ridden and Drs said that it was probably it).
    I was blessed to get to stay with a couple who are passionate about health and identified that I had food issues. I am currently about to start back on a strict RPAH Elimination Diet to identify if I am reacting to food chemicals after YEARS of living on a gluten, dairy, egg, etc etc etc free diet. I am finally getting close! So excited!!!

Remember that basically CFS/Fibro are NOT diseases/illnesses, but a collection of symptoms. I would say that the chances are high that you are reacting to food and/or are deficient in some nutrients/vitamins etc...
  • Dpritch921
    Dpritch921 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have had fibromyalgia for 15
    years. also in perimenopause. Exercise can be very painful.
    Best exercise I have found is water aerobics and yoga. I have started power walking but do this on days that I am not feeling so fatigued. I am taking Lyrica, Doxepin and flexeril for the fibro. Hoping to get in shape and lose 10 lbs.
  • gharbs73
    gharbs73 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have had Fibromyalgia and CFS for about 8 yrs now and am 42. In the process have found out I am gluten-sensitive and lactose intolerant. Food sensitivities are very common with these syndromes and can really mess with your weight and metabolism. The best way to find out if you have a sensitivity is by going on an elimination diet as previously mentioned. You will start feeling a lot better once you have eliminated trigger foods from your diet. I would start with gluten. My stomach gets big and I get bloated and retain water if I ingest it. It's a tough one, we all love, bread, pasta, etc. but your health is more important. The second thing that has helped me a TON is the arthritis aerobics class at my YMCA. It literally changed my life. I was barely functioning when I started and now I am the best in my class and can go to the gym and do cardio or light yoga as well. What made it work was that the pool is indoor and stays between 88-90*, the water relieves all the weight on your muscles and joints, and the focus of the class is increasing mobility, stretching, core, etc. Everyone goes at their own pace. When I first started I could only go once per week and had to rest and recover in between. I've slowly built up to 4 classes per week and now I feel bad and tighten up if I don't go! LOL. If you can find something like this in your area, GO to classes or even water walk. I agree 800 calories isn't enough. I tried that too for awhile and didn't lose any weight. Now I stay between 1050 and 1250 and have lost 10lbs, about 1lb per week. Also, don't get down on yourself. The fact that your are on this sight looking to make changes and not stuck in the self-pity stage puts you way ahead of the game! Just remember, the pain you get from gentle exercise with Fibro is B.S., useless pain, not your body trying to warn you that you've overdone it like it did correctly before you were sick. You know by now if you've really overdone it, so try your best to pay the Nonconstructive pain no mind. That mindset change helped me when I first started. Good luck, Lynn!
  • howduuwnt2fl
    howduuwnt2fl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Im have recently been doagnised with fibro after years of living with M.E have complex regional pain syndrome .sleep terrors...resteleszlegs, plantar and everything else....
    Iv been to my doctor today and told him that I feel so bloated around my belly and legs etc like swollen he said its more than likely just my perception....exercise is difficult ...I have set calorie level at half pound as at mo think 1200 set would mentally tax me so rTher have half pound figure and wnjoy being below x...
  • nrshfqh
    nrshfqh Posts: 1 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I have been diagnosed with fms/cfs in 2013. I had to stop working because the work stress really worsen my condition to the pt that I was wheelchair-bound and even had to get help bathing. Gained over 22lbs the first 2 yrs. I was just too tired to workout so the dr suggested starting with 5 mins walking on the spot. Just fyi, I stay in bed all day to afford that 5 mins.

It wasn't until I started keto that my body started to have more energy. I know it is a controversial diet, but honestly it helped me so much. I do hardly any workout at all, stick to abt 1300 cals so I don't binge (I had a bad rship with foods esp those sugary things which I'm still working through). Lost 55 lbs over the past 2 years. I did my first 5km race this year. Of course, I rested for a week to afford that race. And still not working and mostly on sedentary. But hey, any day I can get up and do my own breakfast is a win.

Hope this helps.