Symptoms are increasing ready to go back gf but wanting to do testing first.

Options
ShrinkinMel
ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
edited January 2016 in Social Groups
I've been dealing with IBS like symptoms for a year now. Also had an increase in my long time mild anemia(usually just one area was SLIGHTLY low due to heavy menstruation) got more severe. They gave me an iron shot and I did supplements off and on mostly during my period and week after for months and then when my lab was still low went to daily supplements but NP I was seeing never told me a dose I was taking generic sloFe. Now I take Natures bounty but not sure how it has helped. It is balanced with vitamin C, folate and B12. I take two a day around my cycle. With 6 months of sloFe though my numbers only went up a little. I have my lab orders and had told my Dr of the new"ish" intestinal cramping, urgency and diarrhea issues that have been going on for a year though I miscalculated at the office and said 6 months but not since my starting Metformin(for prediabetes and possible PCOS) It caused me nausea at first but for months nothing even after increase but then the tummy issues started up and at first thought tummy issues was meds but he said no it would have started right away not a year to year and half later.

After he gets these labs I'm sure they will request to see me to go over them and I will talk about more labs to rule out celiac and gluten intolerance. I know I've been lactose intolerant for years though I eat small amounts of cheese and occasional ice cream even though I remember why I don't eat it and stop for months again. LOL I know my body can do without the wheat, gluten and grains as I should be limiting those anyway due to the PCOS, insulin resistance/prediabetes anyway. If he doesn't respond too much I was reading Walgreens lab can do them and the price I found online was $31.40 but that sounds too good to be true. That is the blood lab not sure they do further stool sample testings. But I think the blood is enough for me to see if its negative I don't need the diagnosis I'll eliminate gluten anyway. I did about 2-3 weeks YEARS ago and felt great. I was also doing raw foods up until dinner then. Fruit for breakfast salad for lunch. It was a nice cleanse then started adding protein in the salad and later ended up eating gluten again because of budget reasons. Ready to give it up even if it means skipping grains/carbs(not from veggies or beans) completely. My daughter bloats up and gets constipation and gas from pasta. She doesn't notice with other grains like bread though. She is also lactose intolerant from birth. So will likely be the household on most meals to make it easier. I cook for my brother who we live with plus my friends 14 year old that lives with us.

I'm so sick of the cramping and urgency making life difficult. I worry about it constantly and have been taking imodium because it does help slightly. But nothing I'd take long term. I carry it with because I never know when it will strike.

I'm wondering if they might send me to gastro and hematologist. My prior NP wanted to but my Dr's office closed and I went to the one they referred me to. The PA I saw was nice but seemed more interested in seeing if I knew his kids and nephews/nieces because we all went to same high school around the same time. LOL No it wasn't too bad but I didn't recall names but may know them if I saw them. I was the loner type I didn't have a ton of friends and the ones I had and hung out with most were from my first high school(transferred). He was nice and I get that he can't go into much unrelated to that visit without scheduling another appointment. I did feel he actually listened though. And best part 6 months of refills not this 2-4 months business my last Dr's office did. I totally hate wasting time going just to say yep same stuff here you go I'll fax your refills.

I'll be over here collecting more info trying hard not to cut it out because I know you need to be consuming for testing. Those two things(anemia and digestive) are not the only symptoms I have. Anxiety, migraines(mostly silent aura ones), brain fog, hair loss, joint pain in past(lupus and RA was ruled out but some labs were elevated) and itchy skin and particularly scalp and ears have itched for YEARS. Tar shampoo helps some but for limited time. I always assume it was seborrheic dermatitis and/or candida overgrowth. Hard to tell on the itchy skin I do have allergies of varying sorts that started up about 12-13 years ago after the birth of my daughter. Started with nickel(including stainless steel and sterling silver), some soaps and fragrances, and one certain medication which I've had once or twice since without issue.

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Many who have Celiac Disease are also very sensitive to dairy. If one of you tests positive, everyone related by blood should assume they also need to be GF as it IS hereditary. More medical studies are quoted here http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10104290/medscape-medical-professionals-continuing-ed-site-celiac-disease-gluten-sensitivity-articles#latest from a Medical Professionals Education Website that I subscribe to (I have Med. background and previous career). There are also wheat gluten proteins in a fair number of shampoos & cosmetics so you will need to do some research there as skin absorption is a sneaky but serious way of 'ingesting' gluten.
  • ShrinkinMel
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I read the first one and will work my way through more. Already have Metabolic syndrome have been there for a few years now. High bp and almost hyperglycemia more than likely been insulin resistant for many many years. I tried to talk to one Dr a couple years after my daughter was born about PCOS. He said oh well you'd have a hip to waist ratio of more than this(can't recall the ratio though) and then measured that was the farthest he looked into it.

When I had knee problems my PCP sent me to a rheumatologist he just looked over my labs ordered some more(basically same thing I had done already) plus x rays and said it all looked well no sign of arthritis going on. Which I was happy about. I did have indicators of inflammation on lab work. High CRP and SED rate. My PCP came back with a list of possible things before she sent me off to that rheumatologist and then nothing more was said, asked or done after. Just irritates me so many Drs have ZERO follow through. Inflammation could be anything though all they'd say was it was probably weight related, like usual. So I guess either way I'm going to try out gf with very little grains in general so not planning to do a bunch of replacement products just eat naturally gf foods because it will help with weight loss and then I can see if its all weight related. Nobody ever followed up with where those levels were recently. But my knees did improve.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    @ShrinkinMel - perhaps a phone call to set up an appointment with your PCP "to go over the results of your tests and the Rheumi appointment, and decide on a course of action to improve *blank*" might work? I think sometimes they tend to ignore the non-squeaky wheel, lol. Ask for the follow up levels and a meeting to discuss what you are doing differently and how that is affecting your knees, for instance. Then make an appointment that day for 3 months or 6 months ahead. Get retests scheduled just before that appointment so you can discuss the findings with the doc. Sorry... I'm coming from a Canadian perspective where you get to choose what you want done/tested, and can make appointments with your PCP without having to check your budget. Perhaps you are in a situation where you have more flexibility like that, but my apologies if you don't have the choice due to health insurance policy dictate or budget constraints.

Anyhow, it's always a good idea to eat more whole foods, less processed, and trying GF won't hurt you either. Keep track yourself via MFP or a food diary of some sort to correlate your health symptoms with your food choices. It also helps if you have that sort of thing on hand to discuss with your PCP or Rheumatologist.
  • ShrinkinMel
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I saw the rheumi 2-3 years ago. My office closed so I don't know if new office has my records yet. I could get the records from them myself I mean I'd like them. My new office said on the forms it would cost me. But I think the old one should be able to get them to me. I get it paper and ink costs. The join pain was long time before the stomach pains started happening on near daily basis. The joint pains are mostly gone. I get them on occasions but not very often.

I have state insurance right now so my copay is nominal $3.40 very doable but getting a dr to do testing is tough because they know insurance tends to deny that stuff. :( It's very annoying. Sometimes you can find Dr's(naturopaths are big on it) that will do testing you want but they don't take my insurance. Walrgeens now has labs at some and mine does and you can order your own testing the celiac panel is one. If its in the $30-40 range I could squeeze it in but wouldn't have much left. So figured I'd see about it when I get my tax refund. Right now I broke down and bought gluten free noodles. Still have some gluten going on and closer to the testing time I'd make sure I had 3-4 weeks of eating full gluten again before going. Today I was fine all morning after gf breakfast until I ate left over KFC hot chicken tender and bisquit around 1. 45 minutes later my stomach started cramping. I know its not just hot sauce though for sure. ;) I'm writing the foods symptoms in a little book but will try to make the notes in MFP too so I can see when they happen and what I ate. I know whole foods low on grains and gf ones if I do will help me in general with other health issues.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Good the joint issues have lessened. I have much less Fibromyalgia pain and fatigue when I am gluten free (plus, of course the GI symptoms (IBS) go away).
    Ouch from the KFC coating & biscuit! Hope you feel better soon.
  • ShrinkinMel
    Options
    Well two Imodium and I went skating for 2 and 1/2 hours. Spontaneously we ended up eating pizza there and so far no symptoms but would probably be masked by the Imodium some though. Feeling better at the moment. I'll see how tomorrow goes but definitely tracking meals, the times I ate and the times GI symptoms pop up. Then I'll have the diary to talk with the drs about. :) Maybe get to the bottom if its not gluten intolerance celiac kind or otherwise I'll still avoid it if it makes IBS worse. I KNOW its not just food poisoning because its been going on too long(1 year + nearly daily). But I knew it could possibly be medication side effects though my dr said it sounded unlikely.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    You could probably be ok with just scraping all the toppings off a couple of pieces and eating that (especially if you are low carbing - sorry I have trouble remembering which of my MFP friends is on what WOE, lol). For some just having their food touch the crust or be cooked together would mean that food is out, but others may be a little less sensitive especially if NCGS.