Do many of you have success eating grain raised beef??

Options
ShrinkinMel
ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
edited January 2016 in Social Groups
Just curious. Who has success eating the normal beef at the store. For financial reasons that's all I can do right now but I'm waiting to start gf again until I do testing. I saw the tip in Pro tips to do grass fed. I'm currently looking to replace my part time job with something full time and hopefully a bit higher pay soon. At that point I'll be happy to go to the grass fed cattle farm a little ways north of us and get their packs of meat that is all grass fed. Nice that it will also be local. Plus they get eggs and local honey in the packages which is great for my seasonal outdoor allergies, never had a test for specific allergy but been diagnosed for years.

I imagine it makes a difference if its CD diagnosed or non celiac gluten intolerance?

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I personally have never had a problem with grain raised beef since the cow has used the grain after digestive enzymes have broken it down into its chemical components. Then the animal uses those components to build its own cells, which are completely different. Grass fed beef has a better fats profile and they are often treated more humanely than the usual feed lot type cattle. I believe that most cows are finished with corn and not wheat or barley, but I could be wrong. I live in a dairy cattle area and not a beef cattle area, but most of the meat around here is from small holders and fed on grass pasture.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I figured it was corn if anything. Thanks.
  • amyc_900
    amyc_900 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm diagnosed coeliac and in the UK our coeliac society does not say eating grass fed is necessary. Disclaimer - I'm now vegetarian but have never had any issues nor know anyone else that has had issues after eating meat without knowing it's source and therefore presumably it was grain fed. Hope this helps! :)
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Here's an interesting article in the British Medical Journal just lately about the high levels of Omega 6 compared to Omega 3 in our diets and the heart and obesity complications arising from that. Animals fed grains (the usual factory farm diet) have higher levels of O-6 in their flesh/eggs and that translates to damaging our health when we eat them. Healthiest is still grass fed meat/pastured chickens and their eggs/wild caught fish.
    openheart.bmj.com/content/openhrt/3/2/e000385.full.pdf