Active minutes and translation to actual weekly exercise.

Options
I know Fitbit counts active minutes as 10 minute blocks of time or greater that are at 3+ METs. That meets the CDC's definition of physical activity. If it's good enough for the CDC, is it also accurate enough and good enough for my doctor? She likes to check in with me and my activity level, and I'm currently getting 350+ active minutes per week.

Would it be appropriate for me to tell her that I am getting 5 or more hours of exercise each week? It seems like cheating for some reason even though I do exercise daily now. I was pretty stunned by my consistent totals when I saw them. I earned over 6 hours of active minutes last week. I'm sure other people earn many more, but for me, this is a big accomplishment.

Replies

• NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your activity. As a lifelong exercise avoider myself (until 3 years ago), I understand feeling like it is a big accomplishment. It is a big accomplishment.

I certainly think you can tell your doctor that you're getting that much exercise. You could possibly break it out as x hours of deliberate exercise and y hours of active minutes when not exercising. You could also include things like average number of steps per day, etc. as that also speaks to level of activity.