Fitbit Charge HR - Exercise while not wearing

Options
Just wondering how to handle exercise that I do while not wearing my Fitbit? Is there a way to specify this?

For example, today I did 48 minutes of Zumba like exercise while wearing my Fitbit for a calorie burn of about 600 calories. I then did an Aquafit class where I wasn't wearing the Fitbit and burned say 400 calories. If I log the Aquafit in MFP, it deducts this from my Fitbit adjustment assuming I was wearing the Fitbit while doing this and, it shouldn't because my Fitbit calorie adjustment does not include any steps or calories burned for the 1 hour I wasn't wearing it.

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    What you think is happening is not - that was the correct way of doing it.

Though logging it on Fitbit using their database has increased accuracy over doing it on MFP.

Either way - your manual entry replaces calories for that chunk of time you specify. So what Fitbit is told and what MFP has shown cancel each other out as far as the math.

The FAQ in the stickies explains why this still works with the math in the 2nd half.
  • SuzieQzie123
    SuzieQzie123 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I don't think mine is doing that. When I logged in to MFP last night before the entry I had a manual adjustment of 752. I logged the cardio of 595 which matched what my Fitbit showed and then the Aquafit of 380 which the Fitbit at this point didn't know about so, to me, the Fitbit adjustment should have only gone down by 595 leaving some Fitbit adjustment. It went to zero.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    Yes, this totally happens. I can walk 10,000 steps in a day and then go for a swim with the fitbit on my wrist (which I always do and it seems OK). I manually input the swim int MFP, and then MFP subtracts those calories from whatever fitbit adds for the daily steps. It thus underestimates my calorie burn for the day overall.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I don't think mine is doing that. When I logged in to MFP last night before the entry I had a manual adjustment of 752. I logged the cardio of 595 which matched what my Fitbit showed and then the Aquafit of 380 which the Fitbit at this point didn't know about so, to me, the Fitbit adjustment should have only gone down by 595 leaving some Fitbit adjustment. It went to zero.

Why did you manually log what Fitbit already had?
    Need to read first part of FAQ for sure.

What you logged went over to Fitbit to replace the calorie burn there - which was given BMR level calorie burn for that chunk of time (not 0). Fitbit then syncs that back.
    Catch it at right moment and Fitbit hasn't come back yet.

Fitbit - MFP - exercise = adj

Base eating goal + exercise + adj = new eating goal.

Pretend figures:
    Fitbit 2752 - 2000 MFP = 752 adj.
    Eating 1500 + 752 = 2252 new eating goal.
    500 cal deficit.

After logging exercise.
    Fitbit 3132 (2752+380, the 595 is already in the 2752) - 2000 MFP - 595 exercise - 380 exercise = 157 adj
    Eating 1500 + 157 adj + 595 + 380 = 2632
    500 cal deficit.

The reason you probably saw 0 now was because the difference in time/stats from prior sync to after you logged your stuff. So you weren't only dealing with changes regarding logged exercise, but more time moved on too.
    You might have had negative actually, but without negative being enabled - it won't show it.

Do you have negative enabled?