Anyone gaining more than planned-feel out of control

Options
Em_runs_away
Em_runs_away Posts: 194 Member
I'm up 28lbs at 32 weeks and my bmi was 26 to start with so I was aiming not to put too much on. I haven't been eating crazily and actually I'm off food in general but I am still gaining at an alarming rate, my hips, arms, legs and bum are all flabby so I know it's not just baby weight. Does anyone else feel like this and what can I do to combat it?

Replies

• ChLoE1130
    ChLoE1130 Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Yes I am with you. I walk 3 miles at least 5 days a week, do Jillian Michaels DVDs (with modifications) and Tracy Anderson PP DVDs at least 4 times a week. Averaging between 1800-1900 net cals a week, which are mostly clean healthy cals except for my nightly ice cream splurge....and I have gained about 25 pounds at 23 weeks, so frustrating! But, I don't know what else to do, I am listening to my body and eating when I am hungry. I am of course gaining in my belly, but my butt and legs have definitely grown....I can no longer fit in any of my pants and I had to buy new underwear yesterday!
  • Andrea3030
    Andrea3030 Posts: 161
    Options
    My BMI to start was 25 and I've put on 19 lbs at 24 weeks, I only wanted to gain 20 lbs the whole time!

I'm not logging though and I'm sure I am eating too much.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    You can control some, but your body is going to do what it is going to do. I wasn't careful during my first pregnancy and gained a lot (around 65 lbs). I lost it all and then a fair amount in the first year, and at 19 months got pregnant again. I wasn't awesome, and I had to stop working out due to a friable cervix and leg/hip pain issues, but I was much better about my eating this time. I gained about 70 lbs! I mean, maybe if I'd been super awesome about eating and working out, that wouldn't have happened, but I can't believe I gained more this time.

I'm now 5.5 weeks postpartum and have a long way to go (again). It sucks, but it's just the way it is. There are a couple of other women in my friends list who had a similar experience. I'm not saying you'll gain 70 lbs like I did, but my point is that sometimes you just have to accept it. If you're really being "good," my guess is that you'll have a higher than average initial postpartum weight loss. I've seen women lose 40 lbs in those first two weeks. For me, it was 25 the first time and 20 this time.

Part of it is also coming to terms with the scale. I had to stop reading the "How Much Have You Gained?" thread after a while because it bugged me to see women at a similar point in pregnancy complaining about gaining 15 lbs, whereas I'd already gained 35. They had every right to complain (in other words, the problem was mine), and it wasn't worth my energy to feel like a jerk, so I just ignored that thread.

Best wishes!
  • Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    My first pregnancy was a trainwreck. I started out overweight. I did not take care of myself, ate a ton of calories (all sodium laden) and moved as little as possible. I gained 55 pounds.

Fast forward to this pregnancy. I started out at goal weight (21 lbs smaller than last go around) and was very into fitness at the time. I was maintaining at 2150 calories per day and thought I was mentally prepared. I am at 25 weeks and up about 20 pounds. I am still running, lifting weights and doing yoga without slowing down much at all. I also log my food everyday and eat around 2250-2300, per the recommendations. At this point with my daughter I was up 25, so not too much of a difference in weight gain. I want to be frustrated by that because I have been working so hard to keep a reasonable gain this time, but to be honest, I am ok with it. I remind myself often that regardless of weight gain I feel a TON better than I did my last pregnancy. I have energy all day, most days and I am not swollen a bit. With her I was exhausted, swollen and in constant pain at this point.

Because of all of that I am convinced that a healthy lifestyle makes a HUGE difference, even if you still gain a larger amount of weight. A lot of that is truely out of our control. Staying healthy in every other was is within our control though and only good things can come of it!
  • Jessibear86
    Jessibear86 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I was gaining a LOT during the beginning of my second tri, but not it's tapered off quite a bit. I realized i was eating too many sugary items ( ie: JUICE every single day..) and cut out a lot of foods that were unhealthy and I didn't need. I'm 29 weeks and standing steadily at about 28 pounds gained.

I would say not to worry, you can do everything you're supposed to, eat the way you should and workout, and you're going to gain anyways. It's part of being pregnant! Those ladies out there who look thin all over and have a belly and go back to a size 0 as soon as it's over are very rare and we shouldn't put that idea on a pedestal. I lost 45 pounds before i got pregnant and even had a 4 pack. I feel like a cow most days, but at the same time, i LOVE my pregnant body and I'm so thankful that my little boy is almost here, and then I know i'm going to do it all over again! I'm looking forward to getting back into shape. Just look at this as an opportunity to kick some *kitten* when it's all over!
  • ChLoE1130
    ChLoE1130 Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    I totally had to stop reading the how much have you gained thread too!

I agree with Rubyann, although this is my first so I have nothing to compare to. I know that no matter how much I am gaining, remaining as active and as in shape as possible can only help during labor and afterwards with getting back to it once the doc allows. I keep thinking I am training for some big competition like a marathon when I am working out....only this competition is labor :laugh:
  • Rubyayn
    Options
    I totally had to stop reading the how much have you gained thread too!

I agree with Rubyann, although this is my first so I have nothing to compare to. I know that no matter how much I am gaining, remaining as active and as in shape as possible can only help during labor and afterwards with getting back to it once the doc allows. I keep thinking I am training for some big competition like a marathon when I am working out....only this competition is labor :laugh:

Yes! I am prepping for an unmedicated VBAC and remind myself of that every day when I hit the gym. It is like preparing for the biggest marathon EVER. I think it keeps me focused and I have to think of it that way because it is very much a mental challenge to get up at 5am, workout and log your calories everyday just to get bigger and bigger every week...even if you are supposed to!
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I gained rapidly up until a month ago, when I just stopped gaining! I've already gained as much as in the whole of my last pregnancy, so it makes sense that my body has put on the brakes. I'm eating 2200-3000kcal and not gaining. Pregnant bodies are weird!
  • Rubyayn
    Options
    I'm eating 2200-3000kcal and not gaining. Pregnant bodies are weird!

And this is exactly why I helped myself to a little extra home made peanut butter pie the other night!
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options

And this is exactly why I helped myself to a little extra home made peanut butter pie the other night!

Sadly gestational diabetes has put an end to random cake :(
  • Rubyayn
    Options

Sadly gestational diabetes has put an end to random cake :(

Oh no!!! I know you don't have much longer, but have you tried xylitol? I bake with it all the time and it is very diabetic friendly, all natural and even has a lot of health benefits. I especially like cheesecakes made with it. yum!
  • MsWax
    MsWax Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I second what many of the other ladies have said. Everyone tends to gain at different times in their pregnancy. With all 3 pregnancies, I gained much faster in the first and second trimester than in the third. In fact, with this pregnancy, I gained about 35 lbs by 24 weeks (yikes!), but I've not gained ANYTHING since then, and I'm now almost 36 weeks. Around 30 weeks I started being really careful with carbs and sugars, as my 1 hour glucose test came back high, but I'm still eating plenty of food.

Do the best you can. As long as you are not going crazy with food, I truly believe your body will gain what you need, and then you'll just have to do the work to lose it once the baby comes.
  • Em_runs_away
    Options
    Thank you so much for all the reassuring replies. You've made me feel so much better about it. I'll keep doing what I am, trying to eat as healthily as possibly for good nutrition with the occasional indulgence too. I gained roughly 35lbs with each of my two previous pregnancies and that's about what I'm heading for now.
  • freckledLeanne
    freckledLeanne Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I second what many of the other ladies have said. Everyone tends to gain at different times in their pregnancy. With all 3 pregnancies, I gained much faster in the first and second trimester than in the third. In fact, with this pregnancy, I gained about 35 lbs by 24 weeks (yikes!), but I've not gained ANYTHING since then, and I'm now almost 36 weeks. Around 30 weeks I started being really careful with carbs and sugars, as my 1 hour glucose test came back high, but I'm still eating plenty of food.

Do the best you can. As long as you are not going crazy with food, I truly believe your body will gain what you need, and then you'll just have to do the work to lose it once the baby comes.

On this note: I had gained about 7 lbs by 24 weeks, and I'm up to 19 now at 38 weeks. Eeep. I've really loaded up over the last trimester, even though I try to eat as healthy as I can and still work out.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I was gaining a LOT during the beginning of my second tri, but not it's tapered off quite a bit. I realized i was eating too many sugary items ( ie: JUICE every single day..) and cut out a lot of foods that were unhealthy and I didn't need. I'm 29 weeks and standing steadily at about 28 pounds gained.

I would say not to worry, you can do everything you're supposed to, eat the way you should and workout, and you're going to gain anyways. It's part of being pregnant! Those ladies out there who look thin all over and have a belly and go back to a size 0 as soon as it's over are very rare and we shouldn't put that idea on a pedestal. I lost 45 pounds before i got pregnant and even had a 4 pack. I feel like a cow most days, but at the same time, i LOVE my pregnant body and I'm so thankful that my little boy is almost here, and then I know i'm going to do it all over again! I'm looking forward to getting back into shape. Just look at this as an opportunity to kick some *kitten* when it's all over!

Agreed, I know two women who were *obsessive* about not gaining weight and who, as a result, overdid workouts and never did rest days. Both delivered early, one at 30 weeks, the other at 34 (after being on bedrest for three weeks). Even after having signs of early labor while working out, the second one kept going even though I pleaded with her to call her doctor and slow down on the workouts. Another woman I know just never ate enough. I don't think she was trying not to gain but was just busy and isn't a big eater in the first place, and she wasn't making sure she ate enough. She also delivered at 34 weeks after spending literally a month in the hospital.

Thankfully all of their kiddos are fine, but premature birth is not a good thing. Sadly one of them continued to be obsessive about her postpartum loss and then had major bleeding issues that required medical attention because she kept working out hard immediately postpartum when her body needed to rest.

It's not natural to stay skinny while pregnant for most women. Our bodies basically force us to put on weight for good reason! I'd much rather have gained my crazy weight gains and then fight to lose while taking care of two healthy, happy boys who were delivered at term than be skinny right now with a baby in the NICU.

I know the OP isn't freaking out to that degree, but my point is that gaining a little too much (whatever that means) is better than the alternative.
  • jaylas_mom21
    jaylas_mom21 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    It makes me sad to see that it seems some people on here are still "dieting" while pregnant! Although most of us are still counting calories, there is a healthy way to do it and an unhealthy way. Some of us will gain a little more than others. As long as you're not getting really heavy, try not to stress too much. I think a lot of people on that thread think this is a contest. This is not a contest. We all want healthy babies and to not blow up like a balloon while doing it! :)
  • Em_runs_away
    Options
    Wise words, thank you.
  • TRHuston
    TRHuston Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I agree that it is really tough watching the numbers go up, despite efforts to maintain a good activity level everyday and eat sensibly. My biggest issue has been with swelling. I've been really good about upping my water intake for the past few months, but I'm still super puffy. 40 weeks today and I've gained 60 lbs. It all occurred in the first 8 months, not an ounce over the past 2, so who knows what's going on there. I'm not worried about losing the weight after the baby, but it took about 9 months to relinquish control and understand that my body is doing what it feels is necessary. The whole purpose of this site is to help us struggling with lifestyle, weight, health, etc, regain control of our lives and pregnancy is the polar opposite of that. I've learned to just go with it and not stress. Wishing everyone a great pregnancy and remember, you're in the best place to pick up the pieces once it's over!
  • Em_runs_away
    Options
    Thanks for putting it into perspective for me. You're all right of course!
  • igottaworkout
    igottaworkout Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    For me the weight gained during pregnancy is hard too, I worked really hard to loose weight and reached 3lb away from goal weight when I found out I was pregnant. I have not gained an excessive amount (19lb at 37 weeks), I'm really trying to limit it to 20-25 lb this time because when I gained 23lb I had a 9lb 6oz baby and I am very sure he would have been even bigger if I had gained more. My body is crazy. :D That was such a hard birth and I just wanted to keep the baby a normal size. At my 36 week ultrasound they said this one is 6lb1oz which means he might be around 8lb for delivery time so that seems more manageable :)

For me the hard part is when I am breastfeeding, with all three of my previous kids this is the time when I gained weight instead of loosing like I'm supposed to. This time I am planning on resuming to work out once I have the ok from my dr. and hopefully I won't gain this time once I've had the baby :)