Dinner out

Options
I'm headed for dinner at someone's house tomorrow. Any tips for how you eat light (and polite) when You can't control the menu?

Replies

• carolerunsalot
    carolerunsalot Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    How well do you know them? I guess that would make a big difference in how to approach.

If they are strangers, just avoid bread and eat a little of everything so it doesn't look like you hated it.
  • stephaniebruning1
    stephaniebruning1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Pretty comfortable with one of the hosts.
  • getrealmommy30
    getrealmommy30 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If you feel pretty comfortable with one of the hosts you could probably turn things down without insult or take just a little.

That being said there are three sorts of plans that I can think of. You can use just one or a combo of these things.

Plan 1: Chance it

Try to make it work with what they are serving. This works best if you know your host is a pretty healthy eater. I agree with CD - Try to stick to the proteins veggies/fruit (as long as they aren't swimming in butter or oil). Avoid bread or grain side dishes like rice, stuffing or pasta (or just take a couple bites).

Plan 2: Fill up before heading out

Eat something within your calories before you leave for dinner. That way you feel fuller and can eat less. Also, it helps if you aren't super hungry when you arrive. You will have better judgement. This also allows for the excuse, "I can't eat another bite! I wish I could! Unfortunately I had a late lunch, so I'm not super hungry."

I like eating a big, low-calorie salad with plenty of greens and maybe some protein. Plus.. you can never go wrong with several glasses of WATER.

Plan 3: Get ready to indulge

You are gonna get your eat on.. so do what you need to in order to leave room in your calories. Eat lighter, but more frequent meals/snacks throughout the day.This keeps you from being super hungry but also cuts the calories.

Make sure the foods your eating have lots of protein (lean chicken, turkey, eggs, tuna) and filling foods that are low calorie (basically fresh, leafy or colorful veggies - spinach, lettuce, kale, peppers, broccoli, cauliflower)

You can also get an extra work out in. That way you can indulge a little bit without sabotaging your weekly progress. (say you know this host makes KILLER BROWNIES.. and you really don't want to say no).

I hope this helps. I'm trying to exercise some of this stuff myself... I'm always out at events where food is. So, I'm looking forward to any other ideas.
  • stephaniebruning1
    stephaniebruning1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    All options were good ones. By the end of the night I chose to indulge. Catered dinner on fine china is worth making up for it later. I find that's how my weekends roll anyway with weight maintenance. Disciplined eating and working out during the week and then totally relaxed on weekends. Does anyone else follow that diet plan?
  • getrealmommy30
    getrealmommy30 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I hear of people doing it. One lady actually ate at an incredible calorie deficit during the week (1200 cal/day) and then going nuts on the weekends. I think she got a lot of heat on mfp for messing with her metabolism.

My sister maintains her weight that way.

I really can't go off the plan for the weekends... cause I will eat til food comes out my ears! Calorie counting allows me to know I ate as much as I was supposed to. My hunger cues are completely out of wack.