my struggles with losing weight with bad health.

Options
nbbaby
nbbaby Posts: 202 Member
Hi my name is Sharon, I'm over weight and I have Fibromylga and Arthritis and IBS-C, Acid Reflux, Depression and Anxiety and 6 screwed up disc in my back. But I'm also stubborn and my mind tells me I can do anything I want (of course it doesn't get the OK from the body) so I get into trouble sometimes lol. I have a hard time losing weight because I now (for the last year) have to eat a low fodmap diet. Which doesn't not leave a lot of choices for food. But once I get diet and exercise going im usually good. I am not a writer so I apologize for the grammar and spelling. I really need support and help on here, feel free to add me as a friend. I need exercise, my body feels better with exercise but I never know what my pain level will be each hour. You don't want to exercise when your in that much pain but it helps in the long run its a vicious cycle. Need someone to help motivate/push me. Well lets start this Journey...

Replies

• kettiecat
    kettiecat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Can you make an exercise plan that incorporates high pain days?

On a 1 day you can run or lift weights, on a 5 walk for 30 minutes on a 8 stretches on a 9/10 day allow yourself to just rest.

• Kell2912
    Kell2912 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Hey Sharon. I understand the pain thing. I found when i was in pain with my knees, I would do pool work. It supports your body and just helps you stay active. Having said that there are also some days where your body (and mind ) say nope no dice and that's ok too. Listening to your body is just as important
  • nbbaby
    Options
    I never really thought of that kettiecat that would work. I guess it's too easy to do nothing. But that's why I'm on here for accountability and support and a little push to help get me going.

Hi Khatmott
    I diffently am a slave to my body. That's a good idea to look into pools. Thank you for your kind words.
  • totaldetermination
    totaldetermination Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are really trying to do with the best with the situation that you are in.

Remember that you can lose weight through diet alone, as long as you maintain a calorie deficit.
    Could you use your 'stubborness' (:smile:) to stick to a healthy low cal diet ?
    Then any exercise you do can be a bonus and can 'earn' you more calories, but you are not depending on it for weight loss ?
  • nbbaby
    Options
    Well today has been a rough day. I did the bike 2 days ago for 30 mins and the treadmill for 30 mins yesterday and my stomach is hurting so bad today. You see for the last 6 months I've had a prolapse Uterus and if I over do it I pay for it. So I'm going to have to fine a way to not hurt myself by over doing it. Hopefully I'm feeling better tomorrow so that I can get back to it.
    I can do that @total. My calories are 1200 for the day but because I'm not that active my fitbit takes calories away from me. So I can end up with 1025 to 1100 aday with some days its hard to follow.
    Its hard to go from a person who could anything to a person who has trouble sweeping her floors. But one day at a time. Hopefully less weight will help the back and joints.
  • smiphette
    smiphette Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    It is tough when your body won't let you do the things you want to do. I am glad you are taking care of yourself.
  • totaldetermination
    Options
    Its generally recommended to eat at least 1200 calories daily. Are you able to feel full, but still lose weight at that amount ?

Calorie deficits don't have to be calculated daily - many people use a weekly total. As long as the total calories burned at the end of the week is more than the calories eaten that week, you will still lose weight. You could for example eat 1200 on all days (regardless of how much exercise you do). The days on which you would have been allocated more than 1200 balance out the days that you would have been allocated less.

You could then vary your exercise depending on how you feel, and what is the best choice to help your body feel better - rather than what is best for weight loss. The rate of weight loss might be a bit slower, but it might be more sustainable for you. If a calorie deficit is the first thing needed to lose weight, then a method to achieve that calorie deficit that you can stick to is the second :smile:.
  • Kell2912
    Options
    Listen to your body hon. It knows what i needs
  • kettiecat
    Options
    Have you pinpointed exactly what it is about certain exercises that lead to pain later on? The bouncing from running, or the using your hip/ab/flutes/legs too much, maybe just getting your heart rate up too high.

Keeping a exercise/ pain log might help you narrow it down so you can eliminate that type of activity and hopefully increase you low pain days.
  • nbbaby
    Options
    You guys are Awesome. I thank you so much for your support it means lot to me. okay so I will explain what happened even though you might find it gross lol. My uterus is prolapsed stretched but not torn. but if I overdo it or lIft or push to hard or sneeze to hard it starts to fall and come out. I find if I'm on my feet to long that that will start to happen and with pain I might add. I'll just have to watch the days I go on the treadmill. I like the bike better anyway. With Chronic pain ontop of it. Its like playing Russian rullet (not that I've played) but I'm not sure what I'll be each hour. But I really want (and have to) loss weight. Yes I have some blockers
    - I have to eat a low fodmap diet which really limits what I can eat.
    - I have chronic pain and a prolapse and FM etc.
    - I don't have a home support group for dieting.
    - I have 1 home support for my health but he's at 70% . which is better than nothing. I'll take it.
    So my goals on here are probably alittle different than most.
    1) learn portion control (which is my biggest problem).
    2) lose weight (45 pounds). For me and my body pain. (Less weights means less pain in the joints). And Obviously To look better.
    3) Learn what my body can do safely and get stronger so I can do more and to help strengthen my body then maybe less pain.
    I have lost a lot of strength and muscles in the last 2 years.
    4) Need to stay motivated
    5) I need to find people to help support me and vice versa. Having support Empowers people and make them believe they can do anything. it's very powerful if you think about it. and I thank you all for helping me with support.
    My down faults are
    -I eat junk food
    -I eat to much food
    - I'm an emotional eater
    -I can't consistently exercise
    -My limited food list
    -I easily get depressed (And I need to stay positive to diet and exercise)
    -I fight my inner child (lots of times I didn't have food as a child so my Urge to eat everything in my house at once is an ongoing battle.
    -My body pain.
    Yes I have more blockers and down faults than goals but hopefully as I get healthier those list will shrink.
    Again thank you everyone and I hope you all have a great day and find lots of low calorie foods. ☺

• nbbaby
    Options
    Question, I measured my body yesterday for my own records but should I put them and my weight on here or no?
  • kettiecat
    Options
    I've always heard that the more people you share your goals and progress with the more accountable you feel and the more likely you are to stick with those goals.

Doesn't work for everyone though.
  • PrimalJillian
    PrimalJillian Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    It seems a lot of people here do share in an effort to keep ourselves accountable. Ultimately, it's up to you if you want to share.
  • 50extra
    50extra Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    nbbaby, you have a real nice list of goals and they are all achievable. You know exactly what you need to do in order to get there. You are a step ahead of most people because you also know what the issues are that will hold you back. I'm not talking about the pain and medical reasons because for now those are out of your control, I am talking about the over eating, the junk food and the emotional eating. Once you figure out how to curb those, or find a low calorie healthy substitute for them your journey will pick up. I have been lucky enough to find my sweet tooth substitute, I put chocolate protein powder in coffee with a splash of milk and it takes like creamy hot chocolate. Now I need to find something that can get rid of my late night hunger pains. This isn't a diet, it is a lifestyle change and each and every person will need to figure out what works for them.

Just stick to your calorie goals and regardless if you are getting exercise you will start losing weight. This will be an added bonus because the more weight you lose the easier it will be to exercise. It's the reverse of how we got big in the first place. We gained weight, and therefor stopped exercising. We are working on reversing a lifetime of abuse, and the real cool part about it, is we can do it 1 or 2 pounds a week with a little focus and very minimal effort. It took me years to get obese and should take less than one year to get out of it.

Jillian nailed it about the sharing. That HAS TO be something that you decide for yourself. I hate being fat, I have been fat most of my adult life and I hate people seeing that I am fat. Because of this I post pictures and as soon as I get a tape measure I will be posting measurements. It embarrasses me to do this. It doesn't make me feel good, in fact it does the opposite, I feel terrible when I post that stuff. The way I look at it is hopefully posting photos of myself makes me want to work harder to change it. The faster I can lose weight and inches the faster I will be proud of showing them. I want to bee the a**hole posting topless pictures on the internet knowing that everyone is jealous. Just take some time and think about it before you post anything. I have surrounded myself on here with people that know the struggles that I am going through with my weight and that helps comfort me a bit. I wont be going to a bodybuilding forum and doing the same. At the end of the day you didn't decide to lose weight to show a bunch of people on a webpage that you did it, you have decided to lose weight to live a healthier life for you and your family. If you want to keep your pictures to yourself then do it. Just make sure that you have some beginning pictures so that when you reach the end of this transformation you can look back and see just how far you have come.
  • Kell2912
    Options
    Honey this is all about you. What you choose the share or not share is completely about your comfort zone. As @jilliancreates said some people (like myself) do to stay accountable but it doesn't necessarily work for everyone.
  • totaldetermination
    Options
    I've never uploaded pictures or measurements because I don't think it would help motivate me.
    It really is ok for you to chose whatever you prefer :smile:.
  • leannamvaughan
    leannamvaughan Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    It's really great that you are working and trying different options to see what works for you. These journeys are always so personal, but doing the work is such a great achievement! Keep it up! Even if it feels like a rocky journey, you are still learning a lot about yourself, and showing yourself love <3
  • nbbaby
    Options
    Well I've gotten myself Into a little bit of a pickle. I have been cleaning up (and moving stuff around) the top floor of my house. Which is also my bedroom and exercise room. So one night I'll move the treadmill and bike then rest. Yesterday I worked in the basement because I wanted my youngest daughters desk I bought her when she was younger and she no longer needs it. She moved out with her boyfriend about 2 years ago and left some of her stuff here. (I know she should of packed up her remaining stuff). Im going over to her place on friday now we can bring her her stuff . So I did 4 moving boxes later and the learning I have mice in my basement (I hate mice) and now I have a empty desk. Omg I have to get it up these 2 skinny width stair cases there way too narrow. Then up another set to get to the top floor. So I did just that with a lot of pain. ( I told you I was stubborn lol). Problem is I forgot I have a prolapse Uterus not the smartest thing I ever done. If I could just put that stubborn onto losing weight and getting fit.
    So there I am laying there in bed till 4:30am. Thinking about my new friends in the basement. (Did I mention I hate mice)? Im use to getting up ever morning and I'm in pain, stiff and sore but now it's lunch time and I'm so sore (my back). Trust me I have chronic pain so when I say this is bad I mean it. I can't do anything again for the rest of the day. I'll just put heat on it. I'm hoping by this evening I'll be able to move the rest of the furniture up there around dresser etc... I have to be careful if I really hurt myself bad it can take weeks to heal. Hopefully my back will calm down today.
    As for eating I've falling a little. I took a bag of dark covered blueberries to the couch with the thought "I'll just eat a few...... (famous last words). So anyway a bag later and not only was I very full and feeling sick but I was feeling so guilty you'd think I'd just killed someone.
    So note to self don't buy the bags of my favorite yummy chocolates. I have no self control yet.
    I'm hoping that all my work in the basement and lugging that desk up up stairs that will have to count for exercise yesterday and maybe today, my back will tell me later. As for eating I'll just have to get back on track.
    Oh and as for the mice in the basement ( which so far that's the only place they are, did I mention I hate mice.). My husband already new and was desperately trying to keep it from me. He already had traps everywhere down there. Ewwwww
    I hope you all have a great day....

• kettiecat
    Options
    I feel you on the mice. We have cats for that very reason, only way to keep the mice out of our old house. Get some rest. Trust that your husband will deal with the problem and just stay out of the basement, lol.
  • Kell2912
    Options
    Honey honey honey............stubborn will be the end of you. Trust me I live with one. It helps sometimes but mostly it just causes you grief (re your back). Having said that glad you got everything sorted without major injury and I hope your back is settling with some REST. I'm sure you burnt enough calories with your furniture shenanigans to account for most if not all of those yummy blueberries so I wouldn't be stressing there. It's not like you do that every day. And as Kettiecat said trust that your hubby will sort the mice. Peanutbutter on a mousetrap is awesome.