Pistachio-Dusted Kabocha Squash

Options
ladipoet
ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
Made this recipe this week-end. It is terrific but then Kabocha Squash is one of my two favorite kinds of squash so I'm a little bit prejudiced. For those who follow VLCHF, you may not be able to work this into your daily menu / numbers.

http://www.turntablekitchen.com/recipes/pistachio-dusted-kabocha-squash-let-thanksgiving-begin/

Here are a couple of important hints / tips / tricks if you plan on making it:

(1) Do NOT remove the rind...it is edible and that's where most the nutrients are;
(2) Kabocha Squash is very hard and very dense. Since I have carpal tunnel, it used to be very difficult for me to make anything with this squash because it is EXTREMELY DIFFICULT to cut through unless you are a very strong man or woman. Soooooooooo, be sure to prick the squash all over with the tines of a fork. Put it in a microwave safe dish with 1/4 - 1/2 cup water in the bottom. Heat it in the microwave for about 3.5 minutes or until slightly softened. This will soften the squash enough to make cutting through it much easier / simpler; and
(3) The amount of squash I used, not including the scraped out seeds and the cut off ends, was 1 pound 8.8 ounces or 24.8 ounces or 703 grams.
(4) based on the amount of squash I used, here is the nutritional data breakdown for this recipe (serves 4):

1 serving:

211 calories
17.7g total fat
2.4g saturated fat
2.5g polyunsaturated fat
11.8g monounsaturated fat
13.5g total carbs
0.9g dietary fiber
0.5g sugar
3.2g protein

(5) If you can get a smaller squash, this will of course bring the carb count down per serving and you can always add more fat per serving by adding some yummy butter to your serving. Enjoy!