"Healthified" Rhubarb Pumpkin Twinkies

Options
ladipoet
ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
Made this over the week-end and had one for breakfast this morning. I absolutely adore rhubarb and I enjoy pumpkin so I thought I'd give this one a try. OMG!! It's definitely a keeper:

http://mariamindbodyhealth.com/rhubarb-twinkies/

Next time I make it though, I may make them as mini-muffins instead of the traditional "twinkie" shape and I may decide to switch out the mascarpone filling with cream-cheese frosting instead. I think these things would be terrific as muffins even without any kind of filling or frosting. They smelled so good after I took them out of the oven...I was hard-pressed not to have one right then and there! lol Enjoy!

Replies

• motown13
    motown13 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Never had rbubarb. Does it taste sumilar to anything else?
  • ladipoet
    Options
    It's very tart by itself; however, when appropriately sweetened either with sugar substitute or the addition of another fruit like strawberry, it has a berry flavor to it. It's my favorite of all fruit flavors. I think the closest comparison I can make taste-wise is to cherry but only because of the tartness, which when sweetened, is milder than cherry. Not sure if this helps at all.
  • ladipoet
    Options
    Update: I wasn't impressed with the mascarpone cheese filling / icing as I thought the twinkies needed an icing / filling that was a little sweeter. I've decided the next time I make them I'm going to use cream cheese frosting instead...YUM!
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    MimiOfTheLusciousLawn Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm rhubarb... <3
  • ladipoet
    Options
    Mmmmm rhubarb... <3

I know, right?! lol I have quite the love affair going on with all things rhubarb! <3:)
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I've never had either I don't even know what it looks like lol. But I'm willing to try!
  • ladipoet
    Options
    Rhubarb looks like celery stalks, only it's usually more pink / red in color.
  • ladipoet
    Options
    Okay, so I made this again except this time I made them as mini-muffins instead of twinkies and I swapped out the mascarpone frosting for cream cheese frosting and with these couple of changes they were THE BOMB!!!!
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    MimiOfTheLusciousLawn Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    @ladipoet, how did you make your cream cheese frosting? I might give these a try now that rhubarb is in season. YAY!!
  • ladipoet
    Options
    Recipe for Low Carb Cream Cheese Frosting

4 ounces whipped cream cheese (114 grams)
    4 Tablespoons (56 grams) softened butter
    4 Tablespoons Heavy Whipping Cream
    1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
    1/4 Cup (60 grams) Swerve (or your preferred sugar substitute equivalent to 1/4 Cup sugar)

Beat first 3 ingredients with mixer on medium speed 1-2 minutes.
    Add last 2 ingredients. Beat 30 seconds until blended and fluffy.