Low Carb Flavored Meringue Cookies

Options
ladipoet
ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
So I've been on a kick over these meringue cookies. Just made my 4th batch of them this past week-end.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/218490/low-carb-flavored-meringue-cookies/

Have to say, that previous to trying these cookies, I was never a fan of meringue at all; these cookies, however, have completely changed my mind on the subject. One note of caution: I found that the temperature and time-frame this lady tells you to bake the cookies at is much too high and much too long so you may need to do some adjusting where that is concerned. I've found that baking them for 1 hour @ 200 degrees works for me / my oven. Also, given the nature of meringue, these cookies have virtually no fat in them (heresy, I know). I really like the fact that the are a little bit of nothing and contain very little calories, carbs, etc. so they're very easy to work into my daily menu if I want a little something sweet. They have more protein than anything else.

Replies

• motown13
    motown13 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I love meringue, but it just seems like to much of a hassle to make. Which is funny since I love to cook, and am really good at it..... but I am not a baker type.

I once asked a trained chef why I am such a lousy baker. He said "Baking is a science, and cooking is an art". So, I guess I am more like an artist.
  • ladipoet
    Options
    lol Since I'm good at cooking and baking, does that mean that I'm both a scientist and an artist?
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    oh I so love meringues. thanks for posting. do you think they were really sweet with the sugar free jello and the cup of splenda? it just seems like a lot to me.

that's too funny, I love to bake and am fairly good at it, actually thought about doing it for a living once but I'm not an early morning person lol. what's funny is everyone says its a science and I think their nuts cuz its just second nature. yet I struggle with cooking, apparently i need things to be precise
  • ladipoet
    Options
    Yes, I thought they were too sweet. I have since started using unflavored gelatin and whatever extract flavor appeals to me at the moment to flavor the batch.
  • Jan93L
    Jan93L Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Can they be made with no gelatin or sweetener ? Just some vanilla?
  • ladipoet
    Options
    @Jan93L...yes, I'm fairly certain that they can be made without the addition of gelatin and sweetener. I'm sure any kind of extract would suffice. If you give it a try, let us know how it turns out.