Best cross training exercises?

Options
simmoner4
simmoner4 Posts: 132 Member
Training for a marathon but want to keep doing some weights as well, suggestions?

Replies

• kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    For basic strength training, check out StrongLifts 5x5 -- I also do spin class as cross training.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Just FYI, in the context of a training plan, cross training usually refers to some type of cardio activity that will give you the benefits of an elevated heart rate without the wear on your legs. However, strength training in conjunction with running for marathon training is always a good idea. My suggestion would be to keep it limited to 2-3 days per week, nothing too heavy (body weight or light weights to avoid excessive fatigue on your legs) and really focus on your core strength and maintaining flexibility. A strong core and flexible muscles will definitely help to minimize your risk of injury.
  • Wendy98
    Wendy98 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I spin and I am glued to the elliptical on cross training days. Some weeks I am on the elliptical more than I run. I am prone to stress fractures so I am am a huge cross trainer.
  • hyg99
    hyg99 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I do a mixed gym session, so cross trainer / elliptical (20 mins), stepper (10 mins), rower (10 mins), bike (10 mins) and a fast mile on the treadmill (I run slow normally), then a do a quick weights run through (not proper weights - the fixed machines) as my cross train day.

I was supposed to run today but slightly overdid sunday, then slightly overdid Tuesday so did a cross train tonight instead to give my poor thighs a rest..
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Biking or elliptical for me plus regularly weight training. I also use the trampolin for leg training without the impact that running has on my legs.