Pressure to Be Thin as a Performer

Options
jennadog55
jennadog55 Posts: 1 Member
Hey guys, just throwing this out there, but, do any of you ever feel pressure to be leaner because of industry standards?

Replies

• soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on the role you are trying to fill. If you want to audition to be the hot girl friend of the attractive male lead then the casting director is going to look for a person who can fill that role but that is far from the only role out there.

Jack Black
    Chris Farley
    John Candy
    Bruce Bruce
    Chris Burney

And many many more are out there having found different niche's across the ages. Some people have in fact actually been helped along the road to fame by the fact that they were overweight.
  • artiepuppy16
    artiepuppy16 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yes! Its as if the performers who are a little chubbier never get the serious parts, and are only landed with "the friend". However I think its more important to be fit than thin :) I guess we all just go for the parts that suit us :) x
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Orson Welles
  • newblue95
    newblue95 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I definitely feel the pressure, if I'm being completely honest. My first paying job: didn't have to sing, didn't have to act, didn't have to dance at the open call. Size 6? Okay, you're hired.
    Literally. They said it was because the costumes were rented from a company overseas and would only fit size 6 or below.
  • bookdeity
    Options
    I'm only recently getting back into it, but yes. Then again, part of my wanting to lose weight is the dreaded double chin in pictures. :wink: I need new headshots and don't want to worry about that. But as was said just before me, the idea about costumes that may already be on hand, probably won't be in a size that I can wear. :ohwell:
  • dekutree
    dekutree Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hey guys. Sorry for radio silence I shall try and be a bit more active on this group..!

I felt pressure to be thin when I was gigging with my band. Part of the reason we stopped, actually. The music scene here is basically full of pretty, skinny, straight boys...

And yeah, I'd dread if any gig photos turned up. I had quite a big band (with strings, brass, etc.) so usually there was something more interesting than me to look at, ha ha.
  • lydian8
    lydian8 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Yes, I feel it too. I know if I were a pretty young thing, gigging would be easier and finding a band would be easier. I won't even touch theater (I'm talking local amateur theater) until I lose another 50 pounds. I don't aspire to national fame or anything. I do believe there is a place for me here, locally. I'll find it.
  • dekutree
    dekutree Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I do believe there is a place for me here, locally. I'll find it.

Yes you will!! :)

I performed at a local performance night last week for the first time in a while, with a new song. Felt good. I'm hoping to get back into it early next year with more new material.
  • mollylayton
    mollylayton Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I do feel pressure to look a certain way so I can get into more roles. What that look is appears to change at the whim of directors.