Plan to start 5x5 Feb 15th!

Options
ashleyylo
ashleyylo Posts: 101 Member
Hey all!
I am planning to start SL 5x5 on Monday, and I am super excited! My goals in the past have usually focused on weight loss, and rarely on muscle gain. I'm trying to change my focus (i have a history of disordered eating and want to channel my energy into something healthy instead of destructive).

I don't need to loose weight (in fact, I SHOULDN'T), but I am interested in maintaining my weight (or even gaining a few) while building up my muscle mass. (Note: there is a part of me desperate to loose weight, and I am truley attempting to re-focus this onto strength instead).

I want to do this right, and I want to be able to track my progress. Do you guys take measurements of your arms/legs/waist? Take progress pics? Do you recommend doing this? How often do you do so? I want to be able to do this is a healthy way that doesn't become obsessive.

Any tips for a newb?

Replies

• Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I track my weight & measurements. It's been very helpful but I was trying to lose weight. I've lost enough weight now & I'm more concerned now with losing fat & preserving muscle. I measure my neck, ribcage(just under bust), bust, bicep, waiste, navel, hips/butt, thigh, calf. I do it monthly. Maybe eat maintenance calories & keep protein up & track your measurements. You will already be tracking your strength and that's fun! I hope you enjoy the program.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Also, if you want build muscle you will need to eat at a slight surplus. I haven't done that yet but maybe others who do can chime in with how much.
  • ashleyylo
    Options
    Finished my first workout. Strange to work with a barbell as I never have before. I think I will need to work a bit on form before I up weights
  • tiffanylacourse
    tiffanylacourse Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I'm "re" starting tomorrow. Great job getting it done today!
  • ashleyylo
    Options
    Thanks! I was kind of nervous but it was less scary than i thought. I am excited to get "ripped" lol. Though I know of course that doesn't happen overnight...
  • tiffanylacourse
    tiffanylacourse Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I'm 3 months postpartum, so I have quite a bit to lose ( about 60lbs or so). Ready to make it happen though!