Replies

• NewOR2015
    NewOR2015 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I've bookmarked it. Thanks.
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    Every time I'm suffering through my squats I'll think of the fact I don't want to be the only one in the group with granny fanny. LOL :D By the way if I squatted as low as the girl in the 101 blog I too would have a great looking booty. Something to work towards I guess.
  • SweetPeasMom55
    Options
    Today I'm waiting for the electrician to come and work on what's hopefully the last of our electrical problems. I will try to stay out of their way. ;)
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    When I started training, I couldn't get very low with squats. Now, I almost go to the ground. The next step for me is to do weighted squats, but I will start next month after my comp because I need to gradually introduce leg based stuff due to my bad knee. Incorporating weights in your training is great, so if you have mastered a body weight version of an exercise, it is great to add weights to make it more challenging. It also helps to tone your muscles in a great way!
  • Dory_42
    Options
    I am having an amazing week. All concussion symptoms are gone so I can train hard. Had a couple of great bjj sessions on Monday and Wednesday, pushing hard with my teammates as we prep for comp. On Tuesday I did upper body weights and then judo, which turned out to be a private session with a black belt (who is dating my best friend!) Also got in two fitness classes, and today we did a hectic comp prep session straight after fitness. Judo black belt and bjj blue belt (the ultimate power couple) pushed me and another girl through a rigorous run of both stand up and ground work. I'm covered in bruises and exhausted, but it was brilliant!
  • Living360
    Living360 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you are feeling better Captain. You're typing even seems more perky and cheerful!
  • Dory_42
    Options
    Haha! Thanks. Missing the comp really was difficult for me (I was planning to use it as prep for the next one, partly to just get a comp under my belt but also for the mental side as I am sure I could have won!) and the stress of a head injury plus the fuzzy brain that concussion brings were not great. I'm now over all of that and prepping for the comp at full speed. My best friend and her boyfriend are both helping me loads with my prep (she is a personal trainer and belt above me in bjj and he is a judo black, so they are really well equipped to help me!) Their support is super encouraging and helps me push harder every day.
  • NewOR2015
    Options
    @CaptainBoing Just wondering, how active were you as a child? Did you excel in sports?
  • Dory_42
    Options
    Not at all. I hardly did any sports. I used to play around in the garden and bully my brother a bit (I was a tomboy) but never got into any sports. At high school I swam lots and helped coach the junior beginners, but was never very competitive. I was naturally bouyant as I was always at least pudgy. (The only thing I hate about all my muscles now is that I have lost the bouyancy). I also have useless ball skills and my balance was horrendous. I started fencing in September 2012 at the age of 34. That was all I did (twice a week, not very high intensity) for two years. Last year I wanted to improve my fitness to be a better fencer so started training at an mma gym with some friends. Very quickly found that I loved the style of training and in a few months could already see the difference. Healthy eating came as a result of the training as my body craved healthy food. In June I was really struggling with some exercises because my balance was so bad and I asked my trainer how to fix the problem. He told me to develop my core strength and suggested brazilian jui jitsu as the best method. I tried it and was hooked from day one! I have gradually increased my training as my strength and skill improves and have stabilised at my current weight around 70 kgs (about 20 down from when I started) but I have dropped from a size 16 or higher to a size 8. My balance is much improved, but I can still get better... Starting so late has meant it is a hard and slow journey to peak fitness, but I am enjoying it!!! Plus I was out for a few months last year with knee surgery (fencing related) although I did train upper body through that recovery time...
  • NewOR2015
    Options
    @CaptainBoing That is wonderful! You found something that you loved and that was good for you. Your choices have transformed you into an amazing person, physically and mentally. I love how you always express with excitement what you're going to do next. You constantly set goals for yourself and achieve them. Thanks for sharing and motivating our group.
  • NewOR2015
    Options
    This week I am still helping my daughter move out. (It includes a lot of lifting.) After that is done, I will continue with my plan to thoroughly clean my house. (Includes stretches & squats). And then, finally, I will create a daily routine for my continued journey to good health.
  • SweetPeasMom55
    Options
    The electrician is coming again for day 2 my hubby is getting hyper he's truly not helping my ulcer. Hopefully this will fix everything.
  • NewOR2015
    edited February 2016
    Options
    You got an electrician who can fix an ulcer? Awesome! :)

I have a light switch that is not working. I turn it to "off" but the light high in the attic stays on. I can't reach it to loosen the bulb, and it's too risky to use a ladder with my weight. So our solution: we stuck one of those little plastic toothpick thingy in the light switch to hold it in the actual "off" position. It was a temporary fix, but it's been there 6 or 7 months.
  • Dory_42
    Options
    NewOR2015 wrote: »
    @CaptainBoing That is wonderful! You found something that you loved and that was good for you. Your choices have transformed you into an amazing person, physically and mentally. I love how you always express with excitement what you're going to do next. You constantly set goals for yourself and achieve them. Thanks for sharing and motivating our group.

Wow, thanks for the kind words. I have also met some amazing people who enjoy this adventure with me which makes it easier. I still have such a long way to go in so many ways (balance is one and I'm still only at the beginning of my martial arts journey) but I love it when what I have achieved can inspire others.
  • TrishV2013
    TrishV2013 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    What are your plans for the weekend?

I feel like hibernating this weekend but hubby and I both agree we need to get outdoors and enjoy ourselves and some sunshine. I will going to the gym tomorrow, since I skipped it today. I will probably do a barre class on Sunday mornings, as those always make me feel good. We probably should pack some of our apartment up, too. I really hate packing and moving.
  • Living360
    Living360 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    This weekend I am starting my spring cleaning. Going room by room, floor to ceiling. We need to clean closets, cabinets, wash walls, paint . . . everything needs freshening. Not sure when we did this last but it's been quite a while. My house in not huge but with only weekends available this will take us some time to complete. Through MFP I've learned that little steps add up to success. I find it interesting that my choice of healthier living is reaching out into other areas of my life beyond diet and exercise. I didn't realize my entire life has been affected by not taking care of myself properly. Or maybe I knew and it all seemed so overwhelming. In some ways it would be nice to pack and move and start fresh but that's not where my life is now. So I'll put in the work to get the results. And now that I've shared I'm looking forward to starting tomorrow. Thanks for listening!
  • NewOR2015
    Options
    This weekend I'll continue moving my daughter's stuff, continue cleaning the house, continue raking leaves (if it doesn't rain), and maybe power wash some outdoor chairs to freshen them up. I will also continue thinking about doing a squat. :smile: I haven't tried it yet.
  • Dory_42
    Options
    This weekend is my last hectic training session before comp - 45 min fitness and 2 hours of bjj on Sat morning. The rest of the weekend is relaxed, friends, church, some house cleaning and a full moon walk on Sunday! The next week will be mostly low intensity to give my muscles a rest so they can push hard next Sunday!
  • SweetPeasMom55
    Options
    Well the electricians will be back things are worse than expected. Honestly I must have a guardian angel as there is no reason why the house shouldn't have gone POOF. Oh here is another thing if we bought the house and it was 50 years old and now have lived in 17 years doesn't the house age? Nope not according to my husband he keeps saying the house is only 50 years old. I guess that's how he looks at himself too. :D

So I am working the weekend as usual it's nice here too so I'm hoping for an easy day
  • NewOR2015
    Options
    My dad always told us that everything has only "a certain number of clicks." He'd say that when something would break or not work right. Two years ago when he died we all had the same thought: His heart only had a certain number of clicks.