complete newbie trouble

Options
Hi everyone,

After reading some discussions on this group and looking at the success pictures you guys are such an inspiration, real women making big changes :)

I started doing SL 5 x 5 last week so this is only my third workout tonight.

I can do several of the exercises, however my barbell row is recommended at 30kg (around 66lbs) and i just cant do it. Ive to try the same weight tonight again.

Did you find trouble this early on? It may be to do with the fact i dont normally lift, i only ever do a lot of walking.

Replies

• Ariadnula
    Ariadnula Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Is this based on the app? I think you have to ignore that and choose your own weights - as long as you're increasing, that's all that matters. Start low and easy and build up till it's hard. I use 0.25kg 'fractional plates' that I bought myself, so that I can add half a kilo at a time!

And ... I can't do the proper 5x5 row, I just hated it and felt it was going to break my back! There are a few threads discussing alternatives.

Good luck!
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the club! The great thing about SL 5x5 is that it is a very progressive programme. Start where you need to start to give good form and get your confidence and in just a few short weeks you will be throwing that 30kg barbell around like it was a cardboard tube!!

It's not a competition... So you go at your pace. Just because the app says move up a weight doesn't mean you have to until you are ready.

And all of us have exercises we find more difficult... For me it is Ohp...I seem to take forever to improve. But I know that this is a long term game and patience is the key.

Enjoy!! And join in the workout reporting threads...very motivating and great for asking questions of those who have been at it a lot longer than me!!
  • ashleyylo
    ashleyylo Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Yay, another newbie! I am one, too.

I had a similar issue with the barbell row. (my first workout was yesterday!). I might switch over to a dumbbell row, so i can work on my form and also i think the starting weight is just too heavy for me.

I also hurt my neck from the barbell squat...not sure if i didn't have it on the proper place on my shoulders or what...but I am feeling that today.
  • Ariadnula
    Ariadnula Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Ah, yes, do be careful and start really light to get your form right. I worked with a trainer for just one session, just to check things were okay. He's still in my gym and gives me the odd tip on how I'm doing!
  • anbuckmaster
    anbuckmaster Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I started yesterday but I've lifted in the past. It's been a while for me so I started really low on my weights since you move up weight so quickly. I have some back problems that I'm dealing with and I know barbell rows kill my back, even with good form, so I opted to do one handed bend over dumbbell rows instead. I'm planning on switching over to barbell rows when I get stronger. Good luck!
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Get the book Starting Strength and Google videos by Alan Thrall in addition to reading all the stickies on this forum and everything on the 5x5 website. Starting Strength has some excellent information on proper form (I skim in the places where he starts getting into the science. I'll go back and read that later). Watching videos is so helpful, as a picture really is worth 1,000 words.

I just bought 10 pound bumper plates and 1.5 pound fractional plates that I carry with me to the gym so I can do deadlifts, barbell rows and the other lifts with good form but at a lower weight than what SL 5x5 recommends. Remember, that program is primarily geared toward men, in terms of how much weight to use st the beginning and how quickly to progress to heavier weights. I'm hoping the fractional plates will finally help me OHP with something besides the bare bar.
  • siobhancollins90
    siobhancollins90 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks very much for all the helpful reponses ladies :)

I like the sound of the one arm bent over dumbell rows to begin with, seems more reasonable for now. Instead of following the app i will make myself a wall chart and just use a stop watch for my rest times in between sets. Im really enjoying my squats and BP and as recommended ive got fractional weights i add on each time. Its amazing how empowering even a quarter of a kilo can be because as you all say... its still progress!

I will definitely look up that info after work, thanks again