New here!

Options
Hello fellow MSers!

I was diagnosed with MS in 2010. It was pretty rough as I progressed quickly and was having frequent relapses. It took quitting a job I loved, moving half way around the world, and four MS meds to finally stop MS some.

Between relapses, lack of mobility, steroids, etc, I've gained around 75 lbs! I'm addressing with various doctors causes for my weight gain other than being sedentary since I barely eat (sleeping problems, depression, hormones). Started on a prescribed high-protein/moderate fat/less than 100 g of carbs a day working with an endocrinologist and weight management doctor.

So far, I've lost 7 lbs. (yay me!), but it's an uphill battle since I just don't have the strength or desire to eat during the day. I cook when my family comes home, but I survive on protein shakes, veggies, and some berries during the day. It gets old!

Anyhow, hopefully I can get some insight here on how to deal with some of these issues.

Thank you!

Replies

• lizzyliz90
    lizzyliz90 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey! I sent you a friend request. I have MS too. Happy to talk more. :)
  • margaretkane2013
    margaretkane2013 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm new here too and also have MS. I too am now leading a sedentary lifestyle. My husband does all the cooking now and although he tries to help me control my weight he doesn't really understand what I should be eating.
  • alli_dalli
    alli_dalli Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Interesting comments about diet/food. Is there anything us MS-ers should avoid? Or a diet we should follow? I'm almost vegetarian (I sometimes cave!) but the fatigue is bad... Love to hear anyone's ideas.
  • sexygatubela77
    sexygatubela77 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    So far I've discovered that limiting my carb intake helps with my pain level. Who knew! I asked my doctor and he said carbs increase inflammation. I've pretty much eliminated all added sugars (except for the occasional cookie or small treat), still eat bread (like once a week and in very limited quantities), etc. Most days less than 100g a day. I eat a fair amount of eggs weekly (cheap quality protein), veggies, berries, and protein shakes during the day (don't like cooking for only myself). I've lost 17 lbs thus far.

I've started to walk more now that my joints and muscles aren't as spastic (expect for today that I over did it and have a major spastic leg). But, I haven't been Mobil for 6 years this month, so I'll take the little improvement!

Anyhow, hope this helps y'all!