New Vegan

Options
MizJoy
MizJoy Posts: 12 Member
I'm a fairly new vegan. Which is better cooked vegan or raw vegan? Or are they both equally healthy?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    You can be healthy or unhealthy as a cooked vegan. You can be healthy or unhealthy as a raw vegan.
  • Chelsealovesart
    Chelsealovesart Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    @MizJoy choices are much less restricting and more familiar if you are eating cooked food. I have tried raw food for 2 years, and it was a very expensive diet (produce and nuts are very expensive compared to lentils and other staples). I ate so much but probably wasn't eating enough protein as a raw food vegan. As far as health goes, it depends on what you are going for. If you cannot digest fat well, the raw will be more difficult because you need to eat SO MANY nuts to get close to our protein needs. I personally like cooked better. I like to ADD uncooked veggies like sliced cabbage, avocado, whatever... to any cooked meal and this adds the uncooked vitamins. For another tip, if you steam your veggies less than 15 minutes, you will preserve most of the nutrients. Baking, and boiling for longer will remove nutrients (so I hear). End of day, you're probably miles ahead of the average in your veggie consumption so whether you're eating them cooked or raw, you should be proud of yourself and you are probably already really healthy and on a good path to cancer prevention!!
  • Chelsealovesart
    Chelsealovesart Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am also a returning vegan/vegetarian. I was vegetarian for about 10 years previously and raw vegan for about 2 years of it and now looking for support in getting back on the diet. Feel free to friend me and follow my diary/vice versa
  • MaizeyMaizey
    MaizeyMaizey Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Some raw foods like cruciferous veggies can interfere with the thyroid, so some foods are better cooked, as I understand the literature.
  • kwlaparo
    kwlaparo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm not a nutrition expert or anything, but I know that at least for me, raw veganism sounds really unsustainable in general, and especially if you want to have a social life. The advice I'd give to most people is to pick something that you can actually sustain. Veganism with cooked food is definitely doable for most and (despite what you may hear) a really cheap way to live. Raw veganism...sounds unsustainable and expensive.
  • pinaycoco
    pinaycoco Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hello - vegan here! I love, love raw food. But I also often fancy a stir fry or hot soup or Thai green curry. I wouldn't want to miss that. Why not check Instagram and some food blogs for some inspiration? It will be easier (and more delicious) to stick with veganism if you don't limit yourself too much. Good luck!