BED.....dealing with it.

Options
chipper15173
chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
First and hardest step is to get the "diet" out of your life. You are not longer on a "diet". This has been my deal. But, I have reached the point to finally burn my old weight watcher food journals. And to get rid of the many different programs I have. I already got rid of the many diet books.
I have such freedom now. I don't have guilt when I can't workout. I do not have guilt when I eat out. I order what I am feeling at that time. I buy food that for years has been labeled my "bad" food. Nothing is no longer "bad". I no longer stress going into the store.
I had to have ankle surgery Thursday. The day before I went and bought loads of junk food. I knew that when my husband went to work Friday I would fill my backpack, and binge in front of the tv with my leg up. I did get a few things. Didn't touch them. Because I knew that I could if if really wanted them. Now when I do eat and I do a body check of feelings half way through to see if I was still hungry or what. If I am good, i stop, put away for another time.
Yes I gained 5 lbs at the beginning, now it's coming off. I do still weight, but, not often. People think that if they allow them self their food, it will be over. Not really, when u give permission it gets easier.
I have so much freedom now. It can't seem like it's right, but, it is!
Have a good weekend. My tummy is browling, need hubby to grab me something. Sorry if these may not make much sense, good drugs.

Replies

• mweckler
    mweckler Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I am happy to see that you are gaining control of your eating. It is so wonderful and inspiring to know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Thank you for sharing this.
  • sidspirtational
    sidspirtational Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If anyone is looking to achieve this I am currently reading (just 5 or 10 minutes at night because I am a student) breaking free from emotional eating and I find it really helpful. It sounds a lot like what chipper was saying to help you break free from that diet mentality. It has many tools and steps that may work. Another book that I have heard is helpful is intuitive eating which I have purchased and not gotten around to reading yet :)

Here are the links if anyone is interested:
    http://www.amazon.ca/Breaking-Free-Emotional-Eating-Geneen/dp/0452284910/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1456155721&sr=8-1&keywords=breaking+free+from+emotional+eating

http://www.amazon.ca/Intuitive-Eating-Evelyn-Tribole/dp/1250004047/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1456155747&sr=8-1&keywords=intuitive+eating
  • chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    Yup, that's the first thing you have to do is get out of diet mind. Getting rid of any diet material. If you have been on diets for years this is hard to do. No food is "bad" food anymore. I read where people are afraid if they had free run with food. It is frightening. But, once you do it, you treat it like regular food. Yes, in the beginning, you can gain. If you don't weigh, it's not as in you head. Then as you get use to it, the weight starts coming off. Slow, but, it does. You just feel better about youself. You begin to feel better on how u look. We are all different and don't fit into the numbers game of bmi, pounds, inches. Our bodies know what and when it needs food. My doctor won't even tell me my weight changes. He says it's not important. The diet industry makes way too much money off people with food issues.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I gotta say, that currently, I am feeling much this way. I've always been an over-indulger.... but the real binging started when I started 'dieting'. Coincidentally, it also started after I found MFP, and started counting calories. :huh: While it's been very short time, and I'm not really losing any weight, at the moment... I'm not gaining, either, I don't think... and I'm really eating, much more 'intuitively.' I'm not going to start doing any happy dances, just yet.... I've tried so many crazy ideas... I have no real reason to think that this one is gonna last, either.
    I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!

I'm the first one to start making random moves, when things don't seem to be going my way.

snoopy3.gif