Gu, beans, cliff blocks, zingers, stingers?!

Options
simmoner4
simmoner4 Posts: 132 Member
I am training for my first marathon and am curious to know what your favorite energy supplement is during races and long runs and when to take them? I need to start trying some out but don't know a lot about any of them. When should I take them in training long runs so they don't become a crutch? Help a girl!

Replies

• ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I've tried GUs, beans, and bloks and personally found that the bloks work best for me (meaning they are easiest to get/keep down). I generally chew them, but I like that you can just let them dissolve in your mouth if chewing is hard. I'd recommend trying out a few different ones during your long runs to figure out what works best for you, and stick with that. You don't have to just use the pre-made stuff either; I know people that take gummy bears (I did this for a few races!) or peanut butter sandwiches. As far as training with them goes: I take bloks with me on all my long runs (anything over 8 miles); I usually take 3 (1/2 the pack) at the 6 mile mark and another 3 at 10 or 11 miles. During races, I just try get down as many as possible. Regardless of what energy supplement you end up with, make sure you are taking it with plenty of water!

Edit: I've only done half marathons, so my longest long run was 14 miles. If I were going longer, I would probably take another set of 3 bloks around mile 15-16
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I've done a couple half marathons and am currently training for my first full marathon. I've been experimenting with different fueling options based upon recommendations I received from runners on MFP. While many people swear by Gu, I have found that it upsets my stomach if I consume more than one on a long run. A runner here recommended a product called Tailwind (a powdered drink mix), and I tried it on a 22-miler yesterday and LOVED it. I didn't need any other fuel on the whole run and felt perfectly fine during and after.

I've also had good luck with candy corn and regular kids' fruit snacks as fuel, and I think Honey Stinger Waffles are yummy. I'd recommend buying a variety of fuel options and systematically testing them out during training.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I think I responded to a similar question in the fitness forum but I'll add my thoughts here as well.

First, I suggest you find what works for you. Some products cause stomach issues in certain people. No way to know unless you try. That is why I always 'practice' during my long runs (10+ miles). I need to be sure the production does not do more harm than good.

As for using them as a crutch, don't use them for every run and you will be fine. If you are running more than an hour you really need to have some fuel. Gels are an easy and convenient way for me to get the fuel I need. I do not use them for every single run. Only if I know I will be out more than an hour (which again, is about 10 miles or more on a typical long run for me).

I personally like GU and HoneyStinger Gels. I only like the chocolate and vanilla. Other flavors for me on not enjoyable.

Good luck with your first marathon. I have 2 this year.
  • rrcoffey
    rrcoffey Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    ariceroni wrote: »
    I've tried GUs, beans, and bloks and personally found that the bloks work best for me (meaning they are easiest to get/keep down). I generally chew them, but I like that you can just let them dissolve in your mouth if chewing is hard. I'd recommend trying out a few different ones during your long runs to figure out what works best for you, and stick with that. You don't have to just use the pre-made stuff either; I know people that take gummy bears (I did this for a few races!) or peanut butter sandwiches. As far as training with them goes: I take bloks with me on all my long runs (anything over 8 miles); I usually take 3 (1/2 the pack) at the 6 mile mark and another 3 at 10 or 11 miles. During races, I just try get down as many as possible. Regardless of what energy supplement you end up with, make sure you are taking it with plenty of water!

Edit: I've only done half marathons, so my longest long run was 14 miles. If I were going longer, I would probably take another set of 3 bloks around mile 15-16

Get out of my head - LOL!

Seriously, this is me, as well. I tried GU on a long training run and the texture of it did me in. I have a couple bloks roughly every 60-75 minutes, which for me is around miles 6 and 12 for a half.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    You have to try different things and find out what works for you. Definitely try GU, because that's what is most commonly offered on race courses. Fair warning: Most GU flavors range from so-so to awful when you take them 15 minutes before the race; they taste much better 5 or 10 miles into a run when your body needs them. Chase the gels with water, not with electrolyte drink.

There are different disciplines on when/how much to take. The standard advice with most products is every 45 minutes to an hour. Some people go by distance instead of time; I take a gel roughly every 5 miles on long training runs, and give myself permission to take them more frequently in races. A buddy of mine targets every 5 miles in training, and every 4 in races. It does take some experience to learn when your body really needs the nutrition.

My understanding is that GU Chomps and Shot Blocks are more divisible, so there can be strategies of taking in few calories more often using that type of product.

One other thing to consider is, the natural tendency of the body is to shut down the digestive system during a long run so more energy can be devoted to running. You may not need to take nutrition during a long easy run; but you do need to train your body to digest whatever it is you're taking while you are running. That's part of how you prevent problems on race day.

Personal preferences, FWIW and not necessarily what will work for you: I have GU and Clif Shot Gels in stock for training and racing. I tried GU Chomps, and found I couldn't handle chewing them while running. Sport Beans worked for me in training runs, but were too dry and clumsy during an actual race. After a while, I got the bright idea of taking a pack of Sport Beans 15 minutes before the race, when chewing is not an issue, and taking gels during the race. That way, I avoid the unpalatable taste of GU before the race when my body isn't crying out for energy and electrolytes. This has worked out pretty well for me.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    When I'm doing normal training running paces, I can eat basically anything. I could eat a burrito at Chipotle and bang off a long run. At race pace though, my stomach is sensitive. My guess from what I understand on physiology during a run is that the reduced blood flow to the digestive system during race pace makes my stomach more sensitive. I will test fueling strategies at race pace, either a pace run or a fast finish long run.

I'm personally not a big fan of GU gels. Clif Shot gels sit better with my stomach, and even then I have to take them slowly. During my last marathon, I had 2-1/2 gels and I had a little bit every 10 minutes, taking about an hour to eat each gel, and it seemed to cause no stomach discomfort. The gel blocks seem to work well too. I use a similar strategy and eat them a block at a time.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Agree with the "what works for you" advice.

They all do *basically* the same thing. The big differences are -
    1) caffeine vs no caffeine
    2) solid food vs gummies vs gels
    3) taste/texture

#1 should be pretty straight forward. Caffeine can help with absorbtion, and may or may not provide a little kick. I'm a big believer in caffeine, but YMMV.

#2 think about toting around a clif bar vs a gel packet. Some people also find it easier to consume a gel vs a bar. Personally, I have a hard time eating/digesting solid food at higher exertion levels, so bars don't work as well for me during a long run.

#3 is pretty obvious - find tastes/textures that you like. Texture is, IME, a bigger factor with gels as some can be really thick/sticky while others are thinner and go down easier without making me really thirsty.

There are differences things like sodium and calorie amounts, but IMO, that's a finer detail that you can worry about once you find some options that work for you within the context of the 3 points above.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Personally, I am a big fan of Honey Stinger gels and chews (the Acai Pomegranate is my favorite gel), and I usually take those every 5 miles or so on long runs/marathons, with 1-2 pieces of dried pineapple in between. The pineapple is just enough to keep my afloat between gels. I also add some sports mix or nuun to my water during races to drink in the later portion of the race when, inevitably, I start to get cramps in my quads. Some people say you don't need to train with fuel, but I am always trying to refine my fueling plan, and there's no better way to do it than on a 2.5 or 3 hour long run!

The three "big differences" that @jacksonpt noted are probably the most important to keep in mind. Not all gels are created the same or have the same ingredients. I can't stand the texture/thickness of Gu brand gels, but I can suck down a Honey Stinger, Clif, or Power Bar gel no problem. Don't try just one brand in one flavor, dislike it, and say gels aren't for you. And remember with chews that 1 block or chew DOES NOT a serving make! You usually have to eat a few to get the recommended caloric intake. And don't discount "real" foods. Dried fruit, cut-up PB&J sandwiches, and gummy candies like gummy bears are all other favorites.

You'll want to practice/experiment on your long runs. I'd encourage you to do any runs less than 2 hours without fuel. More than 2 hours, try those gels and chews and figure out how to carry the fuel and water with you. When you find what works best, make a detailed note of it so you remember on race day!
  • alikonda
    alikonda Posts: 2,358 Member
    Options
    Personally, I am a big fan of Honey Stinger gels and chews (the Acai Pomegranate is my favorite gel), and I usually take those every 5 miles or so on long runs/marathons, with 1-2 pieces of dried pineapple in between. The pineapple is just enough to keep my afloat between gels. I also add some sports mix or nuun to my water during races to drink in the later portion of the race when, inevitably, I start to get cramps in my quads. Some people say you don't need to train with fuel, but I am always trying to refine my fueling plan, and there's no better way to do it than on a 2.5 or 3 hour long run!

The three "big differences" that @jacksonpt noted are probably the most important to keep in mind. Not all gels are created the same or have the same ingredients. I can't stand the texture/thickness of Gu brand gels, but I can suck down a Honey Stinger, Clif, or Power Bar gel no problem. Don't try just one brand in one flavor, dislike it, and say gels aren't for you. And remember with chews that 1 block or chew DOES NOT a serving make! You usually have to eat a few to get the recommended caloric intake. And don't discount "real" foods. Dried fruit, cut-up PB&J sandwiches, and gummy candies like gummy bears are all other favorites.

You'll want to practice/experiment on your long runs. I'd encourage you to do any runs less than 2 hours without fuel. More than 2 hours, try those gels and chews and figure out how to carry the fuel and water with you. When you find what works best, make a detailed note of it so you remember on race day!

All of this.

I have had to do a lot of experimentation because I have a super sensitive runner's stomach, which means I have to be careful with my nutrition the night before a long run (and especially races), the morning of, and anything consumed during. If I am not careful, I waste a lot of time running for a bathroom! I don't eat anything during runs less than 16 miles, but any training runs in the 16+ range are perfect for experimenting with fueling plans. I try to fuel on 5-ish mile intervals and find that if I "wait until it feels like my body needs it" it's far too late.

..And this thread has just made me realize that I have to go back to experimenting again because my plan was heavily based on Pocket Fuel products, but that company appears to not exist anymore. :scream: Whelp, I used to like Pocket Fuel Chocolate Haze before starting, and then alternate Pocket Fuel coffee packs (caffeine boost!) with Honey Stinger chews (much easier to eat/less chance of choking while running than Gu Chomps).

The only Gu I found easy to take while running was a limited edition Peppermint flavour, which didn't leave you feeling sticky and dried out (a little peppermint is so refreshing when you're hot and sweaty!). I haven't tried Nuun yet (I just drink water during my runs) but have had it recommended to see if it helps my "runner's tummy."
  • twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I have run a bunch of half marathons and am minimalist on the fuel intake. That said my go to when I feel I need a little sugar to keep going is mike n ikes. All the gu/ blox/ Gatorade are just hard for me to take in while running but through experimentation and a suggestion here to try "real" food mike n ikes worked.
  • kristinegift
    Options
    @twinmom_112002 Oh my goodness, that sounds like such a good idea! Probably a little less sticky than gummy bears, and easier to chew. I may have to add that to my list of candies to add to my fuel experiments!
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    for real food, I use rice crispy treats.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I make these oatmeal lace cookies without the chocolate and have used them for fuel for a marathon. They are really chewy, almost like honey coated oatmeal. They are delicious and I found them easy to digest. But mostly I use the Welch's fruit chews or occasionally shot blocks, but the gels and gus tend to be too heavy for my sensitive stomach.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/12/dark-chocolate-oatmeal-lace-cookies.html
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I have a pretty sensitive stomach when running my race pace so I've done a lot of experimenting during training. I've run 18 marathons and did a big fundraising run (166 miles in 6 days) last summer. My go to fueling source - medjool dates. They take up just about the same space in a fuel belt as the gels, but they don't have the maltodextrin that upset many runners' stomachs. Also, you mentioned you're worried the fueling might become a crutch - keep in mind anything over an hour, the general rule of thumb is approx. 30-60 g of carbs per hour. It's not about the food or gel being a crutch, it's about performing our possible best. You can probably run quite some time without taking in any energy/fuel, but .... I would challenge, how much better can you run and how quickly will you recover if you do take in energy/fuel?
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I've used Honey Stingers chews (cherry cola with caffeine). I've also used Tailwind powders in my water at trail races. My stomach is sensitive and Honey Stingers and Tailwind have been easy on it.

I haven't run a marathon yet, just a bunch of halfs. I now can get by with Gatorade at the water stops during a half race (4.5 mile mark, 8 mile mark, maybe at 11-12 mile mark, if needed). I just seem to need something on my stomach for a race. Outside of occasionally testing how I respond, I don't use them for most long training runs.
  • sthoma13
    sthoma13 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    What about BEFORE you start running? Who eats "normal" foods and how long before you run do you eat?
  • alikonda
    alikonda Posts: 2,358 Member
    Options
    sthoma13 wrote: »
    What about BEFORE you start running? Who eats "normal" foods and how long before you run do you eat?

~3 hours before running I have coffee with a little nondairy creamer and a plain bagel. About 40 minutes before the start I like to have some kind of nut butter because I hate feeling hungry when I run.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options

My typical pre-race meal is about two hours before warm-up (approximately 2.5 hours before race start). It typically consists of an English muffin and honey along with a cup of coffee, sugar and half and half. I may also skip the coffee and just go with plain water.

I have also used a nonfat yogurt (honey and yogurt or vanilla yogurt) and coffee as a pre-race meal.

Warm-up (for me) starts 30 minutes before gun time. Approximately 15 minutes before the race start, I'll consume a Gu gel (usually salted caramel) and a little water to wash it down.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

Either a bagel w/ peanut butter or a clif bar, usually an hour-ish before race time.
  • kristinegift
    Options

Lately before long runs, I've been eating either a honey stinger waffle or a bowl of oatmeal. And always a cup of coffee. I don't eat before runs besides my long runs though.