July book

Options
mabug01
mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
The Scarpetta Factor by Patricia Cornwell - I love a good mystery. Plus, it's set in December and I absolutely love Christmas in July. Happy Reading!

BTW, Amazon has this book in hardcover for $2.50

SS - here are some flowers for your husband :flowerforyou:

Replies

• mabug01
    Options
    I'm set to receive the book on July 10. I can hardly wait!

BTW, the Amazon price went up to $2.79
  • steppingstones
    steppingstones Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Ordered my copy from the public library. :happy:
  • mabug01
    Options
    First sentence of the book "A frigid wind gusted in from the East River, snatching at Dr. Kay Scarpetta's coat as she walked quickly along 30th Street." And I'm absolutely hooked! I love the idea of cold weather and all of the excitement it brings (such as the first day of school, halloween and the holidays) during hot July.

Is everything going well with all of you Diamond gals?
  • steppingstones
    Options
    I know that East River wind well. I will be picking up my book tomorrow and look forward to it. Thanks for adding to the interest with your latest post.

This Diamond Gal is doing okay. Husband is improving by the day AND the temp. finally fell under 100 degrees. The heat was brutal the past couple of weeks. And hopefully, my computer is finally repaired.

How is your vacation going Mary?

Hope to let you know how the book is going for me in a few days.

Best to All :flowerforyou:
  • lenoresaari
    lenoresaari Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Hey Diamondettes! I am doing well. Havent started the book yet because I am studying for a test on Aug 17 but I plan on picking it up soon. It sounds good to have Christmas in July. As far as weight loss, not so well. I actually have put on some weight due taking steroid injections which are giving me a voracious appetite. Hopefully the last one is this Saturday.
  • lenoresaari
    Options
    Hello Diamond Stars!!

I am just getting into this; yes a good mystery..........waiting for the exciting part to begin. I am right there where the mother
    identifies the body;ew.
  • mabug01
    Options
    I got a slow start because I was confused and I kept wondering what I was missing. I have a problem with dual story lines. However, I do find the mystery interesting. The writer allows me to come up with a bunch of questions and possible scenarios, so I'm really engaged in the main story line. I just got past the part where the mom identifies the body, so we're about the same.
  • mabug01
    Options
    I'm still in the first half of this book. I'm enjoying the mystery and the interaction of the characters. I only have 10 more days to finish this book because I'll be traveling to California at the end of the month. I'm flying this time. Hope you are having a nice weekend.
  • steppingstones
    Options
    I, too, am about half way through. Lots of references to prior books in the series and I have to sit back and try to think about the references. The story lines are coming together.

It is hot in Calif. Maybe it will be less so when you come here. But not humid :)

Nice weekend Diamond Gals!!
  • steppingstones
    Options
    Diamond Gals,
    I finished the book. Will wait for you all to do the same.
    Mabug will you have time to select the next book?

Have a good day
  • lenoresaari
    Options
    not done yet between biking, swimming, getting ready for test on Aug 17 and sleeping; I need to fit in some time to read it; maybe Thurs when I am off
  • mabug01
    Options
    I'm exactly 1/2 way through the book now and see the convergence of the story lines. Lenoresaari - it's a fairly easy read so I think you'll have no trouble getting into it on Thursday. But if not, no sweat! What type of test are you taking?

My friend in Coconut Grove told me about a book she really enjoyed, and it got 4 stars on Amazon, so I'm going to suggest, Carl Hiaasen's Native Tongue. This is one in a series this author has of humorous mystery books. Or if you've read that, are we ready to read Nevada Barr again?
  • lenoresaari
    Options
    I vote for Native Tongue. I am taking a test for Certified Case Management. It shouldnt be that hard but I am taking
    courses to prep for it that require reading; hence alot of time being spent doing that.. ....
  • mabug01
    Options
    That sounds like a good career move - good luck with your prep.
  • mabug01
    Options
    I finished the book. I enjoyed it; however I wish it had a little more holiday in it - if the author had just described holiday decorations as part of describing the scenery, that would have helped remind the reader of the time of year. But I did like the mystery and it certainly had some unusual circumstances.

It's raining AGAIN in south florida. If California had this much rain it would never have a water problem...
  • steppingstones
    Options
    I have ordered the Hiaasen book from the library. I have heard of the author but have not read his books. Looking forward to reading it.

Mabug glad you enjoyed the book. I did for the most part but I thought it needed some serious editing. It was too big and there were too many characters that kind of went nowhere. And the constant references to other previous books in the series was confusing. I am glad I finally read a Cornwell book. I might try one from the beginning of the series. Happy traveling. The heat wave in Northern Ca. is over and the weather is very nice.

Leonoressari good luck on your exam.