Introductions

Thought it'd be nice to have a separate discussion for introductions, so here's mine.

I'm a 5' 6" 45 year old father of three, ages 10, 12, and 14. Two girls and the oldest a boy. My wife and I just celebrated our 18th anniversary.

In September of 2013 I went to a wedding with my wife and we had a photo taken there that really shocked me. I was around 205 pounds. My wife looked better that day than she did when we got married, I thought people must wonder what she was doing with me.

So I got serious about tracking what I ate with MFP, which I heard about from a friend. When tracking became a habit, I started using the treadmill we had sitting in our basement for the previous seven years. When that became a steady habit three days a week I added two days of weights.

By July of 2014 I ran a local adventure race. I weighed 145 and finished ninth in my age group. I was running three miles a day at a 7:30 minute mile average. I maintained this weight and running pace for a year.

I'm in construction and found that I was starting to struggle with things that used to seem easy. I realized that I had lost quite a bit of muscle mass during my weight loss. So I decided to try to gain around ten pounds of muscle.

I did some research and got some good advice from people here in the gaining weight forums and last July I began a serous bulking effort. There were some struggles and I had to make some changes to my thoughts and plans but the summary is that gaining muscle was far more difficult than losing fat was. At least for me.

I am currently at 175 pounds, with some of that being fat. I'm ready to start a slow and careful weight loss to shave the fat off and see how much muscle I put on.

With the increased calories needed to gain, I've been struggling to get back in the weight loss mode, hoping to get some help and encouragement here. And done accountability.

Replies

• OhioGuy37
    OhioGuy37 Posts: 99 Member
    awesome, great journey! Thanks for sharing. I had a similar wake up call when I saw a picture of myself I was disgusted with. Hope we can all benefit from this!
  • OhioGuy37
    To help keep it in one place,

For me, I hit an all time high weight of 243 lbs +- about 2-3 years ago. I've gotten down as low as 194 and currently I'm sitting at 206 lbs.

I just wasn't happy with how I looked and although I didn't have any health issues I was worried they would develop. Plus as some of you may know I am now the father of a 2 year old little girl (3/15/16) and lucky to have been with my wife for almost 15 years.

So I want to feel good about how I look, or better about it- and be around a long long time for them.

Goal weight is 185 and id be ecstatic to hit that by this deadline
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Okie dokie my wake up call came 5/28/15 when I went to the Dr's I'm 5'3 and I was 168 and found out I was a match for my nephew. My nephew is stable and doing well but will need a kidney in the future. The Dr told me I had to be in great shape to do this in order for my body to manage with one kidney. As I will be giving my better kidney to my nephew and keeping my malformed one for myself. Right now I'm at 142 this winter was really hard but I have fluctuated up and down the same 2 lbs and can say I have not lost but I haven't gained any weight this winter. I'm taking the weight loss slow and steady. I'm shooting for 132 . The end of march I have another evaluation and we will see what the results are and where I will be heading.
  • OhioGuy37
    Awesome! My wife's sister received a kidney from their mother. She had a kidney and pancreas transplant from a cadaver the first time and it didn't take.
  • OhioGuy37
    Good luck!
  • OhioGuy37
    50lbs awesome! And Happy Birthday tomorrow!
  • inspiredjen34
    inspiredjen34 Posts: 63 Member
    Happy Early Birthday Laura. Great weight loss!!