Enough is enough?

Options
2»

Replies

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Love the Parkour video. I thought people only did that in James Bond movies. How come none of the people he went past looked twice? I'd be turning around looking to see who was chasing him.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Have you looked in to Wendler 5/3/1?
    I thought of doing that but ended up switching to a 3x5 version of ICF instead.
    The deload every 4 weeks looked like a nice break in order to get pass the mental fatigue of lifting at max weight all the time and dreading workouts.
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    mirrim52 wrote: »
    The deload every 4 weeks looked like a nice break in order to get pass the mental fatigue of lifting at max weight all the time and dreading workouts.

I haven't looked in to that - I should. It's def getting to the point that I am going to stop enjoying it. It's close now.
  • ninenines
    ninenines Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I hear you on being a schedule-oriented person. I am excellent at following a program, less so at hacking something together or winging it. I've been considering getting a coach that can pull everything together for me and provide a program that I just follow. I don't have someone local to me, so I've been looking at doing the program design package with http://body-improvements.com/
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    I'll chime in as an older ladies (58) perspective. I won't lift anything unless I have perfect form and nothing hurts. If something hurts on occasion like my hip or knee it is usually because of bad form which could be because the weight is too heavy. I then deload then and there or check my form. I don't care how long it takes to increase weight or if I ever do. I now only increase by 1-2 pounds at a time. I started Kettlebell swings in December. They are a full body workout and are supposed to help increase strength and enhance compound weight lifts. I am still very slowly increasing my lift weights.

I can tell you this about my physical changes- prior to weight lifting I have scoliosis- sideways the worse kind to have, 2 broken- crushed vertebrae in my neck, L4 and L5 disc bulges, L4 and L5 facet rub which can be felt in right hip during movement. Pain most of the time. Now I only have pain if I don't work out! I was a mess before weight lifting. I believe it has increased my bone density, reduced my scoliosis- I may be straightening my spine due to muscle development and I can't feel the facet rub anymore.

I don't add weight just because it is the next session. I will only add if my form is perfect and I have no pain.

I started lifting 12.5 lbs to 27.5 lbs one year ago on March 2nd. Now, Squats- 125, sumo squats 110, BP 80, OHP 60, BR 85, DL 150. My numbers aren't impressive but my form is perfect. Kettlebell 22x10x30. I tried to increase 5 sets to 35# but my form was bad and I felt it in my shoulder blades. I continued with good form and didn't have further issues.

I would never lift if I felt any pain anywhere that I couldn't make go away by adjusting my form.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Deena_Bean wrote: »
    So right now I lift Tue/Thur/Sat mornings doing the SL routine and on Wed/Fri (or Mon/Wed) I am on the treadmill. I mix the treadmill up with jogging and walking on an incline. In the vain of what you're saying - do you have any recommendations on switching things around? Maybe one of the SL days could be different types of lifts or body movements? Thoughts??

And that's awesome that you want to compete!! I watch your videos on instagram and I'm all :o -- how she do dat?! ---

I'm no trainer or coach, so while I experiment with stuff for myself I don't really feel qualified or confident enough to actually put a schedule together. For what it's worth though, I'd probably try to get into it gradually.

Start adding some quadrupedal movements to your warm-up session - if you do walking on a treadmill or biking to warm-up, trade it in! (all that crawling/monkeying is awesome for full body mobility, and it hits the shoulders, back, core and legs in ways that cannot be replicated with weight-loaded exercises, really.) Doing it as a warm-up means you get into it for fun, work up a sweat but don't go to fatigue, which is good because you can focus on keeping perfect form throughout and if you ever need to apply the "skills" you won't have bad movement patterns ingrained. And if you don't workout at home, you get to have people staring at you wondering what the hell you're doing and you can in turn educate them! ;) (But seriously, if you're self conscious about it, you only need a few feet of floor at home to incorporate it before you head out, or any time during the day, really)

Add in some core work to the end of your sessions. Planks (static and dynamic), hip bridges, superman holds, hollow rocks, etc.

Then maybe you can get a little crazy and add some circuits maybe once a week (after your regular lifting session. You may want to do only a 3x5 at first when adding those in). Use recline rows, body weight squats and push-ups. The most simple set-up is to set a time limit, say, 5, 6, 8, 10 minutes going through a circuit for as many rounds as possible while keeping good form, starting on a shorter duration and seeing if you can keep up longer as you progress. Or set a timer for 4-10 mins of 30s intervals and do one exercise for the first 30s, rest, then get back at it. Or keep it simple and do 3 sets of 8-12 of the variations you can do.

You can learn new exercises and variations as you go along. Starting simple is probably best though!

If you find you enjoy that, there are many, MANY programs out there. A good number of which you don't even need to pay for. Some will be body weight only. Some will use dumbbells or kettlebells, or bands. Some do incorporate barbell work with body weight exercises.

5/3/1 does have a variation with bodyweight assistance only, but it is more geared towards intermediate lifters (it's got chinups and stuff? haven't checked it out in a while) although it is a perfectly valid routine if you want to switch up from 5x5 completely. It takes a lot less time to work up to the work sets and no one says you have to really push the envelope that much on the + sets. I'm usually done with an exercise within 20 minutes (after 20 minutes of general warming up, but I go to the gym basically first thing in the AM so I need the extra mobility work and I do some skill work as well), so it'll drastically cut back on your workout time. And you can make it work for a 3 days a week schedule by combining OHP and deadlift on the same day :)

You can also experiment with doing some yoga or replacing one of your cardio sessions with some of the fitness blender workouts that can be found on youtube. There are so many possibilities!

I hope that helps and doesn't make it any more complicated, haha xD

Also, sorry I haven't been around that much lately. The life be crazeh!

• scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    mirrim52 wrote: »

I haven't looked in to that - I should. It's def getting to the point that I am going to stop enjoying it. It's close now.

I switched to 5/3/1 a while ago. 3x5 was just starting to take up so much time. I am the same way with routine, and I use the (free) Wendlerized app on my phone. Progress is slower, but that's fine with me.
  • Deena_Bean
    Options
    krokador wrote: »
    So right now I lift Tue/Thur/Sat mornings doing the SL routine and on Wed/Fri (or Mon/Wed) I am on the treadmill. I mix the treadmill up with jogging and walking on an incline. In the vain of what you're saying - do you have any recommendations on switching things around? Maybe one of the SL days could be different types of lifts or body movements? Thoughts??

And that's awesome that you want to compete!! I watch your videos on instagram and I'm all :o -- how she do dat?! ---

I'm no trainer or coach, so while I experiment with stuff for myself I don't really feel qualified or confident enough to actually put a schedule together. For what it's worth though, I'd probably try to get into it gradually.

Start adding some quadrupedal movements to your warm-up session - if you do walking on a treadmill or biking to warm-up, trade it in! (all that crawling/monkeying is awesome for full body mobility, and it hits the shoulders, back, core and legs in ways that cannot be replicated with weight-loaded exercises, really.) Doing it as a warm-up means you get into it for fun, work up a sweat but don't go to fatigue, which is good because you can focus on keeping perfect form throughout and if you ever need to apply the "skills" you won't have bad movement patterns ingrained. And if you don't workout at home, you get to have people staring at you wondering what the hell you're doing and you can in turn educate them! ;) (But seriously, if you're self conscious about it, you only need a few feet of floor at home to incorporate it before you head out, or any time during the day, really)

Add in some core work to the end of your sessions. Planks (static and dynamic), hip bridges, superman holds, hollow rocks, etc.

Then maybe you can get a little crazy and add some circuits maybe once a week (after your regular lifting session. You may want to do only a 3x5 at first when adding those in). Use recline rows, body weight squats and push-ups. The most simple set-up is to set a time limit, say, 5, 6, 8, 10 minutes going through a circuit for as many rounds as possible while keeping good form, starting on a shorter duration and seeing if you can keep up longer as you progress. Or set a timer for 4-10 mins of 30s intervals and do one exercise for the first 30s, rest, then get back at it. Or keep it simple and do 3 sets of 8-12 of the variations you can do.

You can learn new exercises and variations as you go along. Starting simple is probably best though!

If you find you enjoy that, there are many, MANY programs out there. A good number of which you don't even need to pay for. Some will be body weight only. Some will use dumbbells or kettlebells, or bands. Some do incorporate barbell work with body weight exercises.

5/3/1 does have a variation with bodyweight assistance only, but it is more geared towards intermediate lifters (it's got chinups and stuff? haven't checked it out in a while) although it is a perfectly valid routine if you want to switch up from 5x5 completely. It takes a lot less time to work up to the work sets and no one says you have to really push the envelope that much on the + sets. I'm usually done with an exercise within 20 minutes (after 20 minutes of general warming up, but I go to the gym basically first thing in the AM so I need the extra mobility work and I do some skill work as well), so it'll drastically cut back on your workout time. And you can make it work for a 3 days a week schedule by combining OHP and deadlift on the same day :)

You can also experiment with doing some yoga or replacing one of your cardio sessions with some of the fitness blender workouts that can be found on youtube. There are so many possibilities!

I hope that helps and doesn't make it any more complicated, haha xD

Also, sorry I haven't been around that much lately. The life be crazeh!

Soooo many words, but all great ideas! I do workout at home and I do it before the sun is up - so I stand zero risk of spectator interference LOL. Once upon a time I did 'boot camp' at the local Y and it was great. It mixed up all kinds of different things. Hurdles, planks, tabata, cross fit, etc. We killed it and I loved it. It doesn't fit my schedule anymore, but I'm friends with the guy who is now the trainer for the class (he was just 'in the class' with his wife, but he went all badass and is the lead now). So they've offered to give me their routines. I may take them up on that and then modify them to fit my time bracket (the class is an hour long). I can also pick and choose the things in it I want to do. They were awesome workouts.

Thanks again, friends, for accompanying me on my crazy field trip. I'm definitely going to de-load tomorrow @fanncy0626 - I am terrified to screw myself up. I am 37 and I have arthritis in my neck already and I also have cervical kyphosis (aka "Military Neck") - I don't want to make any of that worse...time will do that all by itself I fear. No need to speed it up. I'm really considering bringing a chiropractor into my life on a regular-ish basis. The one I have is rather far away right now, so I just need to find a more local solution I suppose.
  • whmscll
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    I'll chime in as an older ladies (58) perspective. I won't lift anything unless I have perfect form and nothing hurts. If something hurts on occasion like my hip or knee it is usually because of bad form which could be because the weight is too heavy. I then deload then and there or check my form. I don't care how long it takes to increase weight or if I ever do. I now only increase by 1-2 pounds at a time. I started Kettlebell swings in December. They are a full body workout and are supposed to help increase strength and enhance compound weight lifts. I am still very slowly increasing my lift weights.

I can tell you this about my physical changes- prior to weight lifting I have scoliosis- sideways the worse kind to have, 2 broken- crushed vertebrae in my neck, L4 and L5 disc bulges, L4 and L5 facet rub which can be felt in right hip during movement. Pain most of the time. Now I only have pain if I don't work out! I was a mess before weight lifting. I believe it has increased my bone density, reduced my scoliosis- I may be straightening my spine due to muscle development and I can't feel the facet rub anymore.

I don't add weight just because it is the next session. I will only add if my form is perfect and I have no pain.

I started lifting 12.5 lbs to 27.5 lbs one year ago on March 2nd. Now, Squats- 125, sumo squats 110, BP 80, OHP 60, BR 85, DL 150. My numbers aren't impressive but my form is perfect. Kettlebell 22x10x30. I tried to increase 5 sets to 35# but my form was bad and I felt it in my shoulder blades. I continued with good form and didn't have further issues.

I would never lift if I felt any pain anywhere that I couldn't make go away by adjusting my form.

Thanks for this. I'm 55 and have strained muscles twice, I think because I'm trying to add weight too soon, while my form is not yet perfect. I have been wondering if lifting for older women is just not a good idea. Now I am going to continue lifting but not be in such a hurry to add weight.
  • fanncy0626
    edited February 2016
    Options
    whmscll - I really believe that lifting his strengthen my bones and reversed the arthritis that I had in my neck and back area. I was diagnosed with degenerative bone disease. I would bet if I had a MRI that would not be the case anymore. Go slow make sure your form is perfect first and increase weight slowly good luck to you!
  • whmscll
    Options
    Thanks. I have a few more days or maybe a week before I'll be ready to get back in the gym. I really like lifting, and how it makes me feel so strong, so I'm gonna get back to it when I've healed. I just think the 5x5 program as written isn't right for me, I may try 3x5 with less weight and add weight more slowly while perfecting form. I already bought 1.25 pound fractional plates, so I can go REALLY slow next time.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Great idea!
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    This morning my squats were 135. It was pretty heavy, it was hard and my lower back and right knee noticed. I didn't hurt anything, but I could feel those 2 body parts sort of reminding me that they're capable of injury in a jiffy.
    Here's the thing. I'm not lifting to be like the strongest woman in the world or anything. My goal here is to have muscle vs. fat, and to make sure I'm lifting for the benefits of aging/bone loss. I'm not looking for an award, I don't have any desire to lift cars or pull semi's :) I think it's completely awesome for women to lift and be strong, and I think each of us probably has our own idea of what we're here for (and the reasons for it).
    I'm wondering now, in my case, is there a point of 'enough is enough'. It's not worth it to me to keep inching up and risking injury due to failure. I've seen back injuries happen and then the person (read: my husband, playing basketball more than 10 years ago) that have caused permanent damage - and therefore permanent recurrence of pain. Not interested in all that - I've seen his pain resulting from a sports injury and it ain't pretty (like taking off work for a few days to lay on the couch). I know, good form prevents it, but accidents happen. Like I said, I could tell what I lifted this morning was quite heavy (to me anyways) - and I could also see that it wouldn't be too hard to screw myself up with one wrong move, balance failure, shift in a leg, a hip dip...whatever.
    At this point, if I were to max out now (or soon), will I continue to reap the benefits of lifting at this amount? It seems like that should be fine, right? Obviously I won't lose muscle by not going up in weight...I just theoretically won't get "stronger" right? What are the best reasons (aside from being stronger) to keep inching up? Feel free to unload opinions or facts - I'm up for it all. Just bouncing around ideas and whatnot...

This has been an interesting thread. I'm almost 54, started weightlifting with a trainer two winters ago on a progressive lifting routine, essentially barbell lifts. By spring (so one year ago as of now), I had worked up to 105 squat, 145 deadlift, etc...so nothing fantastic, but really good for me, my age, and from where I started. Throughout spring/summer last year, my goals were to maintain those numbers at a minimum while picking up more cardio/outdoor activities to lose fat, specifically mountain biking.

Then I anticipated picking up again this past winter, wanting to continue increasing in weights. Well, I stalled at about 105 in my squats, my form indicated I had a much weaker right side due to several herniated discs from a 20-year old accident, sciatic nerve damage, and a weak foot. My left side and back would start compensating for that right-side weakness, and it was throwing off my form. I had also done something to my rotator cuff, which affected my OHPs.

So last winter, I was at essentially where you are now. I got another trainer, and he has been working with me using a COMPLETELY different approach than my first trainer, and it fits what I need now. He moved me away from lower-body lifts that use both sides of your body equally, to movements that use each side individually, so I am doing mostly single-leg lifts to improve the balance and power on my right side. I've used kettlebells, and lately one of those TRX contraptions, which use bodyweight for resistance. I still do decline benches, rows, and chin-ups (assisted!), and do different sorts of exercises for my shoulder.

I don't know if I'll ever get beyond a 105 lb squat. I guess that's OK with me, my overall goals have changed away from numbers on a barbell to overall diversity and variety of what I do, to focus on overall strength, flexibility, and balance. That may involve barbells, or may not. There are certainly more options than just doing the five main barbell lifts.

If I went to the gym today, could I pick up with the barbell squat and get to 105 the first time? No way. I've definitely lost some momentum by NOT doing squats regularly, but I have no doubt I could pick it back up and get there fairly quickly. Meanwhile, my right side's strength and balance is improving, so I'm seeing other changes that, to me, is an OK trade-off.

I've moved from "keep those numbers moving up up up!!!" to "keep my body flexible, moving, strong, and balanced" by a more diverse set of exercises. Not in this for a medal, but for the same reasons you are--improve bone density, make impacts from the aging process as minimal as possible, keep flexible, etc. etc.

Do what feels right for you. It sounds like you are listening to your body; just know there are definitely a lot of options out there!
  • Deena_Bean
    Options
    Thanks so much for your insight! I'm happy to hear the diversity of choices. I am going to lay off the heavy lifts as a mission and start shaking it up some. I think I'll be happier and on a better path to achieving my true goals! Stay strong
  • DDHFree
    DDHFree Posts: 502 Member
    Options

Your entire message really resonates with me. Thank you. I will file this away in the memory bank for safe keeping.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    DDHFree wrote: »

Your entire message really resonates with me. Thank you. I will file this away in the memory bank for safe keeping.

:)