Quick update

Options
bostonwolf
bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
Sorry for my absence of late. The job search has taken up a lot of time. Lots of good leads but still looking.

On very short notice, we got word that our gym and box had lost their lease and were closing in mid-February so it sent a lot of people scrambling. The box physically closest to us (less than a mile away) probably gained 40 members from it. I dropped in there but didn't like the vibe.

Used a LivingSocial deal to purchase one month at a local box for $88 that I will start Friday (yay Open!) and will be a vagabond again for April and May. My wife and I will be in Japan for half of May so I don't want to pay for a month and not really use it.

I'll be joining a brand-new, built from the ground up box called Crossfit Tilt that is affiliated with Crossfit New England. We will do CFNE programming. They had a founders special of $125/month for six months for unlimited and let me start it up June 1st.

Replies

• GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Glad you found a new place. Just like oftentimes it is good to mix things up, oftentimes it is good to change things up. Hope this works for you.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    I wondered where you'd been. Still on track so that's good - GO THE OPEN!
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    Yeah I think it will be fun. The new head coach/owner is a great guy. Had been the head coach at CFNE for years before this.

Also how is this for a kick in the nuts: Rumor is that a Planet Fitness is going into the spot we are vacating.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    How did you go with 16.1?
    How's the new box?
    I don't know anything about Planet Fitness - I'm in New Zealand. Guessing it's a chain?
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    It hurts to sit and it hurts to stand, but walking isn't bad. Got 130 scaled. None of the movements presented a problem, but the burpees just gassed me and I had to stop to catch my breath more than normal, especially towards the end.

Planet Fitness is a chain that costs about $10/month, has pizza and bagel days during the month and will kick you out of the gym if you deadlift or grunt excessively.

From a marketing perspective it's brilliant. They sign up tons of people who rarely work out and the monthly fee is so low people just pay it.

It is the polar opposite for a Crossfit gym where we all work hard every time we set foot in the door.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness doesn't judge...that's their motto...unless you're what they consider a Lunkhead (i.e. like free weights, lift heavy, and sometimes make noises when you are under heavy exertion)....then they judge you.

I'd be thrown out in a heartbeat.

p.s. you can Google Planet Fitness Lunk Alarm. It's hilarious. They actually have an alarm that sounds if you're caught being a Lunk. But no judgement.