Roasted Rhubarb and Dark Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream

Options
ladipoet
ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
Found the recipe online and ketofied it because I love all things rhubarb. Here's the link to the original recipe but it is not LCHF friendly as is:

http://theviewfromgreatisland.com/roasted-rhubarb-and-dark-chocolate-chunk-ice-cream/

1 lb fresh (or frozen) rhubarb, washed, trimmed, and cut in 2 inch chunks.
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup whole milk (I used coconut cream)
1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped, pod reserved
1 cup your preferred sugar substitute (or equivalent in liquid sugar substitute)
1&1/2 Tablespoon lemon juice
5 oz dark chocolate, chopped (I used 72%)

Follow the directions from the above link to make the recipe. I tend to eat one serving of ice cream as a meal so the somewhat higher carb count might not work for everyone. The above tweaks will, however, leave you with an absolutely delicious ice cream that is MUCH lower carb than the original recipe was. If you decide to use a liquid sugar substitute, that will reduce the carb count even further. Enjoy!

Replies

• phxteach
    phxteach Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I am surprised that there is not an egg to bind it. Did it melt quickly after it was set up? And if you did you substitute vanilla extract, how much?
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Many ice cream recipes are egg-based. This one is not. The thing about home-made ice creams is that once you freeze the batch, because there are no preservatives or chemical softeners in your ice cream like there are in the kinds you buy from a store or specialty ice cream shops, it gets as hard as a rock so it is nearly impossible to "scoop". For that reason, I strongly recommend that you portion out your ice cream into individual servings after churning and before you put them in the freezer. When I want ice cream, I literally take out a single serving and set the timer for an hour. I leave the ice cream out on the counter and yes, it really does take that long to get soft enough to eat and it's still kind of hard in the middle. Sometimes I only wait 45 minutes. I think defrosting time will be probably shorter in the heat of summer. I did not substitute vanilla extract although you can. I happened to have some vanilla beans on hand so I used one. It's very simple and easy to do; however, I just googled vanilla bean to vanilla extract equivalent and here is what I found: 1 vanilla bean = 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or more to your taste). I love vanilla so more is always better as far as I'm concerned; however, I have found that using a vanilla bean always tastes way better than using extract...but I know that it can be difficult to find stores that carry them locally AND vanilla beans are expensive!