Fitbit charge HR giving more calories than just the charge

Options
My hubby upgraded my charge to the charge HR for V-Day and I'm noticing that the calorie adjustment in MFP is now insanely different. Does the HR matter that much? I typically go on two 15 min walks during my work breaks, a 10 min walk at lunch, and then a 45 min walk in the evenings. Yesterday the calorie adjustment was 935 extra work out calories....

I don't eat my exercise calories back unless I'm ravenous, but isn't that a little excessive just for light walking? Today I've only done my one 15 min walk so far and it's saying I've earned 81 calories. On my charge, I didn't even get on the green side of exercise calories until well in the afternoon after my last break and lunch.

I guess it doesn't really matter as I don't eat them back anyhow, and if I do only about 100-200 at most.

Replies

• cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering about this too because I'm earning an insane amount of calories just for strolling around.
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    That is high but it depends on I guess how high ur hr goes
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    You will earn all the calories back for strolling around if you are set to sedentary. So any activity gives u cals back
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    You will earn all the calories back for strolling around if you are set to sedentary. So any activity gives u cals back

That makes sense. I just don't see where I would want to eat back anything for walking room to room though. :/

• NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    In both cases, the key is testing how accurate your Fitbit is for you. You want to avoid eating more than you should, but you also want to avoid creating too big a deficit. Trying to lose weight too fast is counter-productive. You'll be less likely to be able to stick with it over the long term and even if you do, you risk permanently damaging your ability to burn calories, making it harder to maintain your new weight.

So, trust your Fitbit for a month, while logging your food as accurately as possible. (You don't have to eat all your adjustment calories back. Just keep your deficit reasonable.) Then, you can use the numbers found on your Fitbit profile page to compute your expected weight loss and compare it to your actual weight loss.
  • rickyems
    rickyems Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Check you HR zone setting. If you have a normal faster heart rate you would need to raise the "fat burn" lower threshold otherwise the device will give you too many calories based on your increased HR.
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    My resting heart rate ranges from 70 to 77 normally. I'll look into that. (I am so out of shape LOL)
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I don't think setting a custom heart rate zone will affect any calorie calculations done by Fitbit. It just changes the display of when you're in an exercise zone. However, I have gathered that, over time, it will adjust calorie calculation itself based on your resting heart rate. (And you can definitely affect that resting heart rate by getting in shape. Mine used to be in the 70s, I think. Now, it's upper 40s.)