Setting reasonable goals

Options
SamandaIndia
SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
Hi there folks,

I think setting reasonable goals really helps build a sense of achievement. So what is reasonable?

During our winter challenge, one exceptional soul lost 18.4lbs in seven weeks starting from 193.4lbs, but that truly is an exception (huge congrats to that soul!).

Many many people found progress slow and appear to give up if they have a bad week or two. Scales hate me one week and may love me later, so for me I feel persistence overcomes resistance. Even if you have bad weeks during our Spring challenge, I think it is worth continuing to help keep focussed and leverage a supportive community. Don't forget to track non scale victories as they are motivational through the natural weight fluctuations.

I just went through our first 7 weeks of winter challenge data, and if I could work out how to post the cross plots I'd do it here. For those who stuck with the challenge, starting at a weight of 100-150 lbs, up to minus 5 pounds. 150 to 200 lbs up to 10 pounds (exception above) and greater than 200 lbs up to 16 lbs. Some folk gained a little, but I suspect less than they would have, if they had not been reminded each week of their goals. Totally up to you what you set as your goal for Spring challenge. I think having this data helps have a basis to choose something achievable.

Replies

• SamandaIndia
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Above averages out as 0.2 lbs loss a week for those with starting weights 100 to 149lbs, 0.48lbs a week for 150 to 199lbs, 0.99lbs a week for 200lbs to 249lbs and 1.17 lbs per week for those greater than 300lbs. These averages can not take into account what happens when folk leave challenge as then there is no data to play with. Makes me more patient when others are posting high loss numbers, to remember it gets harder the closer we get to our goals. Hope that is interesting n helpful for someone.

Looking forward to a fun challenge ahead.
  • Melodieccurn
    Melodieccurn Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I so love your posts!
    We all want to lose weight or tone up our bodies. There are weeks for me when I may lose four pounds and even though my diet is within guidelines goes up though I'm kicking butt at the gym. There is no sense but if you stick with it, it will go down again.
    It's extremely frustrating but everyday you are here; log your good days and just as important your bad you are winning.
    The first step is being accountable to yourself. You are worth it.
    This challenge can be a lot of effort but if you want results and I know we all do or you would not be here then believe in yourself. We all lead busy lives, go to school,full-time jobs and or making sure everything is done for our family. You owe it to yourself to give yourself this gift. The gift of good health.
  • LastChanceRobin
    LastChanceRobin Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am guaranteed to gain within the first few weeks. Adding longer running distsnces as well as resistance and more weights will absolutely csuse my body to hold onto that extra weight until DOMS has decided to quit. Knowing is half the battle!
  • TangledThread
    TangledThread Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Does our goal weight matter to the game? I put in my final goal weight which is 10lbs away. Reaching that would be nice, however, my real life goal is to lose 0.5 a week.
  • SamandaIndia
    Options
    @TangledThread your goal is yours and not used for the amazing race challenge. You have set yourself a realistic goal and a stretch goal which is fabulous. Whatever motivates you to stick with the challenge for the whole challenge n feel a sense of accomplishment is great.

What is used is your weekly loss rate as a percent of total body weight and if you are in an amazing rate challenge, your participation in being more active and doing the various suggested challenges. Team effort so you don't have to do them all.
  • Diana6ft
    Diana6ft Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I think it's also important to have non-weight goals to work towards. I'm working on running for thirty minutes without stopping. Right now I can run for one minute and walk for two. I do that ten times. When I feel like I'm not going to die anymore I'll increase my run time. I also do this amazing hike a couple of times a week and I have a goal to do it in less than one hour. My last hike was 1hr 10min. I feel really good about my progress, and it's clear that my hard work is paying off regardless of what the scale says.
  • SamandaIndia
    Options
    @Diana6ft great goals and awesome ifea. Thxs for sharing
  • lynnjano
    lynnjano Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Truly if we can track ratio of lean body mass to fat ratio, that is the best measurement, but you need a bio scale. More muscle means the weight # doesn't always go down, but the jeans are fitting better! A scale that measures your lean or fat % is so worth the investment as it keeps you motivated ( you can find them for under $100) even when the weight # seems stuck. Where are we going this week Melodie? Need to prep!