Lifting with back issues

Options
ninenines
ninenines Posts: 197 Member
I am interested to hear from people that have experienced back issues and how you have approached lifting in that context.

I've recently started seeing a chiropractor. I have been having chronic calf injuries for the last twelve months, and some intermittent issues in the two years prior to that. I have been seeing a physiotherapist for some time and while that has been good I was continuing to have issues. I also suspected that there was some back/nerve issues and my physio suggested seeing a chiropractor.

Long story short, there is some degeneration in the L5/S1 space this may be contributing to my calf issues. There are some other issues in my neck also. I'm curious to know if/how I can continue weight training and what others experience is. For the time being I'll be resting from the heavy squats and deadlifts in the initial treatment phase, but I hope it's not the end!

Replies

• Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I have some arthritis in my neck and I also have a "military neck" - so no prominent natural curve there is present. I still do squats and all that, but I get a stiff neck and shoulders pretty easily. I'm sure it's somehow related, but I feel like if I could work a chiro into my schedule at some regular interval it may be worthwhile. Supposedly they can do some magic voodoo stuffs that help bring a curve to an otherwise curveless neck? Dunno - could be heresay. That's all I got, though, sorry it wasn't more helpful!

In other news, I'm really curious about this because my husband has a damaged back and I'd like to encourage some lifting for him - but both of us are wary of making it worse, not better. So I just don't say anything...he's sleeping like total garbage lately and has no energy to workout, so it's on hold for now anyways.
  • Isca_1
    Isca_1 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    My chiro is really great at explaining things and helping with what hurts and how to go about working out with injuries/pain. What exercises help and why. Backs are scary things when they hurt because it effects everything. My husband had back surgery about 3 years ago, L4-L5 disc replacement. He was in tremendous pain everyday. Find a good Dr that can help you with this.

I really can't offer any other advice other than that. But I wish you well and hope that you can continue doing the things you love, safely :smile:
  • ninenines
    ninenines Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your thoughts @Deena_Bean and @Isca_1 .

I think some lifting can be really beneficial for people that have back issues, especially if you can build up the muscle strength to help support your spine. But I think it's a matter of careful selection of exercises and really making sure you've got perfect form. That's the tricky part!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,131 Member
    Options
    I just want to say that my back is better since lifting. I'm glad that you decided to deload. Go slow, no pain, your body will heal and your bones can strengthen and degeneration can be reversed.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I have four herniated discs from about 23 years ago (when I turned 30, now I'm 53). Three in my lower back, one in the middle. Sciatic nerve damage (permanent) in my right foot, leaving a sort of drop-foot thing going on.

First, I think you have to go with your doctor's advice and treatment for your specific condition. That being said, I started lifting over a year ago, and for the most part I progressed really well. It was worth the money for me to hire a good personal trainer who understood my issues and nailed my form down over all else.

He would work on specific exercises for my right side, i.e. dorsiflexion, hip mobility. As a woman in her 50's, though, I never progressed to truly astounding weights, and I believe that my back issues will keep me from, say, deadlifting past 175, or what have you. I will probably never get far beyond a 100-lb squat.

After a year, I stalled on squats at about 105 or 110 lbs, my form would falter and my left side would compensate. Meaning my back would twist and my hips would raise at different points rather than together. My trainer had moved at that point, so I have a new trainer, and we work on individual leg lifts now, like Bulgarian split squats and TRX-contraption-assisted pistol squats and backward lunges. I don't deadlift anymore, but I do do rack pulls. I could still deadlift, but I only meet with my trainer once a week and we haven't gone there yet since I can do rack pulls on my own and that's ok with me.

So, yes, I still lift heavy, but it's heavy for me. And I'm ok if all I can do is squat 100, pull maybe 150, etc. I can maintain that.

Advice is to work slowly, ensure you have great form, don't lift when you're in acute pain, do some active stretching or a good warm-up beforehand, making sure you warm up your hips, back, hams, glutes, and lats (they really are all tied together with your back), and if you do have imbalances, STOP and figure out how to correct them. It may take more time to get to where normal/non-back-injured people get to, or you may have more plateaus. However, I think that lifting, when done correctly, can only help to improve strength and overall longevity, balance, and ability to compensate for weaknesses.