Tracking WODs and Progress

Options
ortega1990
ortega1990 Posts: 236 Member
Hello - I just got serious with Crossfit and everything I read tells me to keep track of my progress by noting the WODs and how I did, so that I can compare it to my future numbers. So... how do you track your progress? I have iPhone and I was looking thru the apps yesterday and just couldn't find a free one that made any sense. I was hesitant to pay for an app only to be disappointed. Don't get me wrong, I'll pay for an app but I just want to make sure it's easy to use. Any recommendations?

Replies

• momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I think myWOD is the go-to. Great reviews. That's the one I got, but I don't know much about them yet.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    I downloaded myWOD too and entered in my stats but find that I don't take my ph to the box, having a journal makes it easier to enter and refer to info. Also a quick reference when finding out what your weight should be when loading up the bar.
    I have just purchased a specific WOD book online - haven't got it yet though.
  • alysa521
    alysa521 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I used the beyond the whiteboard app. I really like I can log online or on my phone. My gym posts their workouts there so I can log pretty easily and my box worked something out so we dont have to pay the fee, but I think it's only $1.99 a month anyways.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    myWOD would be more awesome if I could enter from a computer. It backs up to dropbox...would be great if they had an emulator/reader of some sort that could work with that file locally on my computer.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I'll have to check these out. Right now I'm using Fitocracy which isn't easy to look back at WODs bu I like it because I can check my performance and know what my PR was or what weights I used for how many reps.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I'll have to check these out. Right now I'm using Fitocracy which isn't easy to look back at WODs bu I like it because I can check my performance and know what my PR was or what weights I used for how many reps.

Oh, I also use evernote since I can access it from the app and browser. Not the easiest to find past weights though (like this morning when I was trying to look up my last kb swing weight).
  • kevie1021
    kevie1021 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I just have a small notebook that I keep tabs of any of the "Girls" or "Hero" WOD's i've done, along with specific lifts or moves. That way I can track my progress, not just my last PR. My box has a specific notepad for this, but just a regular notepad works fine for me. Just my $.02 :)
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Haven't done any girls or heros yet (I'm just starting out) but I will make notes on each workout. When I start to repeat them I might make a spreadsheet or something to compare them from workout to workout.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    myWOD is great. iOS and Droid, Dropbox/iCloud syncing, Social media posting, exercise example videos, max-weights (built in percentage chart), PR/Rx tracking, even a cheesy basic HRM using the device camera LOL. You can also graph your progress on the Girls and Heroes over time. Cheap and effective.

The only thing I'd change about myWOD is to add a Strength Training Logbook, like they have for WODs.

I'd go WODbox after that.

If you want strictly a lifting app, Big Lifts Pro is great as well.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Bumping this because my Star Wars workout journal is almost full and I'm debating between getting another notebook or using an app. I like the ease of reference this book has offered in that it's easy to flip through the pages and see PRs, general weight info for strength training, and improvements on WoD times.

So I do a barbell gymnastic segment, a strength segment, and a conditioning (Wod) segment every day that I work out. Is there an app that would lend itself well to this?
  • MoJokes
    MoJokes Posts: 691
    Options
    Personally I use a spreadsheet...
  • maryrunslikeafox
    maryrunslikeafox Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I was writing in a notebook, but not really into that approach. Just download the myWOD app and I like it much better. Its really cool how it tracks your progress with dates, etc.
  • RivenV
    Options
    I use a spreadsheet to track my finances, so I can appreciate that. However, taking a spreadsheet to the gym seems a little inconvenient since I won't be working on everything I'd be tracking every single day. I'm willing to concede that sounds pretty awesome for gauging long term progress, evaluating goals, and the like, though. Did you download a template or have you formatted your own? Also, how frequently do you input and analyze your data?
  • MDLNH
    MDLNH Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Call me old school ... I've tried to use several different Apps, but nothing is a good as hand writting in a notebook.

I've use a notebook and recorded every WOD I've done since day #1 (*even my activities on open gym days). I use colored 'post-it' tabs to indicated my PRs, so I can find them easily. *I will also write some of my own personal comments about my performance (good or bad) AND include any tips given to me from coaches/trainers & fellow cross-fitters that made a differnce in my perfomance.

** It's nice like to look back from time to time and "read it" just to see how far I've come - It can be a great motivator.
  • RivenV
    Options
    Call me old school ... I've tried to use several different Apps, but nothing is a good as hand writting in a notebook.

I've use a notebook and recorded every WOD I've done since day #1 (*even my activities on open gym days). I use colored 'post-it' tabs to indicated my PRs, so I can find them easily. *I will also write some of my own personal comments about my performance (good or bad) AND include any tips given to me from coaches/trainers & fellow cross-fitters that made a differnce in my perfomance.

** It's nice like to look back from time to time and "read it" just to see how far I've come - It can be a great motivator.

With the exception of tabbing PR pages, this is exactly how I use my notebook, as well. Typically I write the programming in black ink but I'll make notes in the margins regarding weights, tips, etc., using differently colored ink. I've also found that on days when I have "bad" workouts, it's nice to have something so tangible to review to bolster my spirits.
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I use myWOD and I LOVE it. The fact that it allows me to track my max weights and download WODs from my gym's website via RSS feed. It is also searchable so you can look at your progress across similar workouts.

I recommend myWOD to everyone who wants to track their CF workouts. :-)
  • rachelannecraig
    Options
    I haven't thought much about writing down or tracking my CF workouts. I have been doing CF for a while now and was just pleased with some of the noticeable gains that I have made. After reading this post, I think I am ready to take it to the next level and get more serious!

Thanks for the suggestions!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I write down my workouts but need to create few charts on the back of my notebook for specific lifts and workouts so I have a quick visual reference.
  • MoJokes
    MoJokes Posts: 691
    Options
    I use a spreadsheet to track my finances, so I can appreciate that. However, taking a spreadsheet to the gym seems a little inconvenient since I won't be working on everything I'd be tracking every single day. I'm willing to concede that sounds pretty awesome for gauging long term progress, evaluating goals, and the like, though. Did you download a template or have you formatted your own? Also, how frequently do you input and analyze your data?

Hi

I have a spreadsheet which has all the WODS I have ever done.
    I simply record the time from my stopwatch and input weights and reps etc from my notebook. I do this when I get home. This takes a few minutes.
    Like one of the other users I also input notes on what I could have done better.
    I'm going to check out some of these apps.
  • ahemming1
    ahemming1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    We use the Whiteboard at our gym but I also purchased a journal from Journal Menu and I love it! www.journalmenu.com

It has a lot of great stuff, and it's customizable and not very expensive. Check them out!