Team 8 - Amazing Race

Options

Replies

• sandkp
    sandkp Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Wow... lots of stairs this week... and the miles are upped too!!! without a fitbit or other tracker how are you tracking your flights of stairs? I am trying to figure out how many stairs in a flight so I know how much I need to run up and down these house steps... or i may be surprised as to what I usually do in a week.

I see several that haven't logged anything on the spreadsheet... did we lose more friends? How many are on the team now?

Rough week last week, but let's jump back in strong team 8... let's rock it all the way to Egypt ... leaving the chocolate far far behind!
  • bex_2016
    bex_2016 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Ooohhh a stair challenge, that's my weakness so will give this a real good go! What counts as a flight as stairs? Mine in the house have 14 steps - will going up/down count as a flight do you think?
  • sandkp
    Options
    I read on the week 4 page that people were counting a flight as 12-13 steps so yours would work. I read somewhere else it only counts going up... I started out combining my two sets but guess they can be separate which means I actually did 30 flights of steps today (only counting going up). I went down just as much but not counting those. I realized later I have been up and down many other times today but I'm not going to try to count those for the challenge..just when I initially get my flights in as a session. I only have 54 more to go!!!! I was sweating and puffing for sure. I definitely know I worked the legs like a workout that way... my legs don't feel like this every day for sure! Told my boys if they hear me fall to just pick me up and drag me to the couch! Haha...
  • BJerzy
    BJerzy Posts: 1,844 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I know I slacked off big time last week. I find it hard to stick with my plans when I'm not on my normal schedule. I have another week off coming up in just two weeks, so I need to be sure to stick with my schedule. I can't keep jumping on and off!

So it looks like we could be down to 11 people, so that would mean this week is 603 minutes per person! Still waiting to hear from a few people, though, so it could be as many as 14 people @ 475 minutes per person. We had a huge goal the first week that we exceeded and I think this is a great way to get us back on track. I need to include more low intensity but longer work outs like walking and light swimming to meet this goal, so I'm going to try my best!

Did anyone think of a good way to keep track of their flights? I might just pick 4 days or so to intentionally do 20-25 flights in a row but I'll see how my knee handles that. I start PT today so hopefully that will start to help!
  • 303lissy
    303lissy Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Wow 84 flights is going to be brutal. Now that I'm forced to stop and think about it there aren't nearly as many flights of stairs in my life that I thought there were. I have 1 1/2 to my own apartment and my parents' house has a half flight. Hmm...
  • bex_2016
    bex_2016 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I've got a notepad and pen at the top of stairs and a tally chart going at the moment and will track on my phone when I'm out and about x
  • sandkp
    Options
    I really can't figure a way to keep track of my daily flights for normal routine.... I am up and down two flights from basement to bedrooms many times a day. I just decided not to count those and just do flight sets and get the count in that way.

I am heading out to run now but have no idea how that will work as my legs are still lead from yesterdays 30 flights! I will also try to make sure I get in some longer low intensity time and some weight time (was planning to up that this week) so hoping to get my numbers up there that way. I have to do the higher intensity stuff to try to even get some of this weight off but know that my minutes logged go down that way. Its a huge challenge at 603 but I will do my best to get there.

My maps this week on my fitness logs may just look like big squares as I walk and watch soccer practice around and around the field. That will get me a couple hours in. :wink:

• BJerzy
    BJerzy Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Well I have good news/bad news for my part of the challenge. I went to my first evaluation with PT today and I'm not allowed to run or do any activities that cause me knee pain such as squats and lunges. Unfortunately that includes the stairs challenge so I'm out on that one :neutral: But since I can't run I guess I'll be walking to get my mileage in so that means I have an excuse to do longer/lower intensity, so I should be able to get my minutes up.
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I think many people were much slacker last week, I fought a migrane for 3 days and slept half of Friday and then the rest was Easter weekend. So back on track this week, although Monday wasn't great with school kids home. Did much better today and plan on improving each day as we go this week. We are taking a fun weekend away to my daughters cheerleading competition this weekend so not really much exercise going to happen. So, with that in mind, guess I need to up my game significantly the next three days. Luckily, I have done lots of prep work for daycare/preschool so I should be good and my kiddos love when I get on the treadmill. Hope they aren't making fun of me, haha! I will do the belly dancing, nutrition challenge is all but done and am logging food daily. With a bit of work, we can do this together! I bet most of us waste some time watching tv or sitting around, so if we all turned that 30 minutes into some type of exercise, it would be beneficial. I did 30 minutes on my exercise ball while watching Judge Judy tonight!
  • sandkp
    Options
    Ladies... This is week 4 right? So we need to do the assessment test this week to see our improvement right? Just checking cause I will need to plan to get that done when the weather is good for the run outside.
  • enuf2
    enuf2 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm back from my vacation and looks like I have a lot to catch up on! I didn't have wi-fi or even cell service where I was, so wasn't even able to check in! I had a great time! Didn't ski as much as I usually do. Instead, I hiked. It was beautiful! Skiing was tough this year. I grew up skiing, but have lived on the prairies for a good 20 years. The last time i skied in the mountains was a few years ago. I definitely felt it this time around. It hurt!! LOL!
    I am back and raring to go this week. Haven't even read what is needed in terms of minutes, based on your comments...alot! LOL!
  • enuf2
    Options
    Ok so I just updated my fitbit. Based on the hike that I did on tuesday, I climbed 108 floors. LOL! It was up the mountain - to a beautiful crystal clear lake, so worth the climb! 38 floors on Monday - that was a ski day, so I am not entirely sure how to count the roadblock. There were definitely stairs - at the ski his, in and out of the lodge, there were also stairs at the condo we stayed in. Even skiing was hard to count in terms of actual minutes. I put 60, kind of a guesstimate.
  • 303lissy
    Options
    Wow 108 floors - go you!!

I think I'll just freak out my neighbors tonight and run up and down my stairs a bunch of times. Today's also the last day of the squat challenge (I skipped one day so I'm officially a day behind), so my legs are gonna KILL me tomorrow. Worth it. Hopefully.
  • AnnmarieSimmons
    AnnmarieSimmons Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hi all sorry i haven't posted here for a while, I am still around and trying!! Last week wasn't good for me :neutral: I was determined this week was going to be better!! so I've tried to make sure i exercise daily and complete the stair challenge....KILLER! and the belly dancing videos.

I don't think my diet has been great....... this is where I really need to improve next week if I am going to reach my goal of 10 pound weight loss by May. Just got to keep going!!

x8d06bxli0sx.jpg
  • 303lissy
    Options
    Holy crap belly dancing is hard! Thank god no one can see me except my cat. Pretty sure he laughed at me.
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    This looks like a tough week for many of us....we can do it. I quickly looked at some of the other teams and they are struggling as well. We can do this, lets end the week strong.
  • sandkp
    edited April 2016
    Options
    wahmx3 wrote: »
    This looks like a tough week for many of us....we can do it. I quickly looked at some of the other teams and they are struggling as well. We can do this, lets end the week strong.

I agree... I know my exercise numbers are down... having a hard time with this week.. headaches and other lady stuff messing me up this week more than normal.

One thing I noticed is that the roadblocks/ challenges give us lots of point options... let's grab as many smart, easier points as we can and finish strong this week. Let's rock till the end team 8!
  • jodybergeon
    jodybergeon Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    sandkp wrote: »
    I really can't figure a way to keep track of my daily flights for normal routine.... I am up and down two flights from basement to bedrooms many times a day. I just decided not to count those and just do flight sets and get the count in that way.

I am heading out to run now but have no idea how that will work as my legs are still lead from yesterdays 30 flights! I will also try to make sure I get in some longer low intensity time and some weight time (was planning to up that this week) so hoping to get my numbers up there that way. I have to do the higher intensity stuff to try to even get some of this weight off but know that my minutes logged go down that way. Its a huge challenge at 603 but I will do my best to get there.

My maps this week on my fitness logs may just look like big squares as I walk and watch soccer practice around and around the field. That will get me a couple hours in. :wink:

http://wonderopolis.org/wonder/how-many-stairs-are-in-a-flight/
  • 303lissy
    Options
    Phew what a week. Definitely not as active as I meant to be, but I'll be better this week!
  • enuf2
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Good Morning! It's back to work for me today. Although I'm not loving the idea, getting back into routine is good for me.I had a wonderful vacation, but I need to get on track again with food. That never ending battle. :/ Looking forward to see where we are going next!! Have a lovely Monday!