Stopped Phentermine-Gained 8 pounds in 8 days

Options
Fit4LifeAR
Fit4LifeAR Posts: 233 Member
edited March 2016 in Social Groups
LoL I am not writing this to scare anyone, I know I haven't actually gained 8 pounds, but the scale says I have. I just wonder what causes this....there haven't been any big changes that would cause that much water retention. My clothes are fitting the same, but the number on the scale still bothers me. I wonder why my body has reacted like this, after stopping the pill?

Replies

• KyleneSusan
    KyleneSusan Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Interesting! Give it a few weeks and let us know if it came back off? I've skipped a few days here and there and not noticed an overall difference. But I have no idea what to expect when coming off it for good...
  • jeanjean619
    jeanjean619 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Fit4LifeAR - how are the changes since stopping? Did your weight ever drop back? I have a prescription but have only took 2 this week (over the weekend) and I still ate about the same - I did have a lot of energy and got things done around the house, but during the week (I have a desk job) I'm afraid I will feel like I'm wasting my time (energy) and that I will have to leave my post!
  • Fit4LifeAR
    edited April 2016
    Options
    It dropped a few pounds but not really. I have no idea what caused it, but I have come to the conclusion that I don't want to take Phentermine anymore. It's not that I am against it, but I hate the feelings I struggle with when I come off. I know it's normal to gain a few pounds back, but then you automatically think that you need to start back up. We want to have another kid too, so I don't want to use phentermine, and then have to stop while pregnant. I attribute that to a lot of the reason I gained 50 pounds when pregnant (a lot of that came in the first 4 months of my pregnancy.) Anyhow, I would still recommend it to people who use it the right way. My weight gain has stopped, so I am about 5 pounds heavier than when I stopped taking it, which I can live with. I will say, I did find a supplement that gives me energy like phentermine did, but its mostly caffeine. It doesn't help with appetite, and I'm ok with that as it really forces me to be aware. Now if I can just stop using caffeine lol! That's been a life long struggle of mine, I think I am an addict lol.
  • jeanjean619
    Options
    Thanks for your response. What supplement did you find? When I got the prescription my dr said I can take it when I feel I need it (not necessarily every day) but most of the time I feel that I need it late in the day and it's too late for me to take it then (unless I want to be up all night!) I found I really ate a lot yesterday, which was the second day off it and of course my weight is up today. Unfortunately it's like binge eating and I don't stop until I'm satisfied... it's all so very frustrating!
  • Fit4LifeAR
    Options
    It's called six-star thermogenic, and I found it at Walmart. You can take 4 pills a day if you don't use other caffeine, but I drink Power Edge, which has caffeine, so I only take 1. It gives me a boost of energy, like Phentermine, but only last for a few hours.
  • jeanjean619
    Options
    Thanks! I will have to look into the thermogenics! I also love caffeine and really need the energy. Im going to finish up my prescription and see where my energy level is at. Did you take it every day or did you skip days? I took it over the weekend and was fine up until about Wednesday, then I found I was back to throwing things in my mouth again (like a piece of candy.) One thing this recent weight loss journey and tracking has taught me is that I am compulsive eater. I can go all day without eating and then I gorge myself when I come home from work (and unfortunately its not on vegies!) Good luck to you with your weight loss and good luck with trying for you new addition!
  • Fit4LifeAR
    Options
    Yes!! I am struggling with that too! I really need to focus on drinking more water and not eating as much. It really is a big mind game for me, which I am pretty good at losing lol.
  • Fit4LifeAR
    Options
    So quick update, after only one week of faithfully tracking my calories and reducing my sugar intake, the extra weight is gone. So, my body definitely held on to the extra fluids as a result of my poor diet. I don't think I was going over my calorie goals, I think the food choices I was making contributed to the quick gain (fluid retention). I have to admit, I didn't lose as much last time I took the phentermine, and this is definitely why. My diet was not in check the way it should have been, and thinking back, that is the big difference. 1500 calories of unhealthy foods, particularly high sugar foods, is definitely not the same as 1500 calories of healthy food. That really backfired once I stopped taking the pills.