Ketosis & protein shake

wishfullthinking79
wishfullthinking79 Posts: 322 Member
edited March 2016 in Social Groups
Okay so this is a 2 part post.

1.) I am no longer in ketosis. WHich is to be expected because I did not eeat good this weekend. Well I ate stuff that I know I shouldnt have. Like kettlecorn popcorn, a scoop of ice cream, and a reeses cup. I am not going to lie. The rest of my eating was good. Can you give me an estimate on how long it is going to take for me to get back in it? Is there something I should be doing in order to speed the process up?

2.) I drink a 4-6 oz protein shake with 1 tbsp of pb2 and 1 tbsp of MCT, almond coconut milk and ice because I need it to be super cold. I sware to you that freaking shake is making it where I have been wanting to snack. I have never been one to eat while I am at my practicum site where I intern, but the past 2 days I have been. Today I have already eaten 1 oz of almonds and 1 oz of cracklins. I cant wait to go home and eat some eggs, green chili, cream cheese, and chorizo. I hate feeling like this. I know me sitting here at my practicum site where I intern contributes to it.

I forgot to mention I have consumed 594 calories. Thats crazy. My macros are spot on but I am a little worried about the calorie count

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    2) I've found that MCT can increase my appetite as it gives a thermogenic response... I don't know if this is typical. My typically egg breakfast is usually 400-900 calories, but I'm far heavier than you are.

1) you are already producing ketones again. You could feel the ketone benefits whenever. Since you're pretty active, if you didn't have over 100-150 extra carbs over the weekend, you've probably burned through it already and are restarted in adaption.

Remember that each stage of adaption can trigger more hunger, different energy, and increased salt needs, etc. That's usually day 1/2, 7, 14, 21, 28, and every 1-2 weeks after that until you'll fully fat adapted...
  • wishfullthinking79
    edited March 2016
    @KnitOrMiss Thanks. I was going to email that just too you but I know I am messaging you on a daily basis about all kinds of stuff. I havent entered in my lunch yet (scared to). I ate 2 eggs with onions and greenchili cooked in them then I added like 1 to 1.5 tbsp of cream cheese with like 3 oz of chorizo (very fatty but so good). Now I am drinking more protein shake (2carbs) with some HWC, almond coconut milk, SF caramel syrup, and lots of ice. I am craving ice cream. This is my version. I got the idea from someones post. I just omitted the coconut oil. It taste really good. I just should have made it a lot smaller. I really just needed a taste.
  • wishfullthinking79
    I havent even eaten dinner yet. I am 500 calories already!!!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Try stepping back to look at your calorie deficit on a weekly basis. Some days we're naturally hungrier than others. If in 7-10 days, you're still in a deficit, you're good. Your hunger will adjust and level out as soon as your body realizes you're nourishing it...
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Yeh - I can't believe it takes another 3 weeks to get back after a slip. Doesn't make sense. I can see a day or two, maybe......
  • wishfullthinking79
    Something I m doing is preventing me from going back into ketosis. I have bee measuring it everyday. It is barely registering. I realize that it is not what the strips are for. I havent been eating a ton of carbs in the past several days. My carbs have been higher than normal but so has my calorie count. I havent gone near 50 grams.. protein seems to be pretty stable. really for the last 3 maybe 4 days macros have been spot on.
  • SuesNewImage
    SuesNewImage Posts: 743 Member
    If I'm over 35-40g I'm kicked out of Ketosis. Have to go back to <25g for at least a week to get back in & stay in.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Any time you go higher and get bumped from ketosis, it's better to go stricter on carbs until you're fully back in - but you will produce some ketones at anything under 100-150 grams of carbs a day. "higher than normal" isn't the shortcut to getting back into full nutritional ketosis - it's the long, scenic route...
  • wishfullthinking79
    I will just have to cut back on the cheese and veggies that I have been trying to eat. This sucks because I just thawed out this really awesome dip that I made some time ago. I typically eat it will some snap peas. I know that my protein shake has 2 grams of carbs but I cant remember off hand what the almond coconut milk has in it. I packed me some nuts to snack on while in school but I do know that they have carbs in them. Humm.
  • KnitOrMiss
    As long as you're in the 30 total range and not 50, and your choices are good carbs, you should be okay. I just wouldn't allow extra carbs OVER what you've planned for.
  • wishfullthinking79
    @KnitOrMiss Man all I have had today is a protein shake and a chia tea (bag) with 2 tbsp of HWC and 4 packets of splenda. I am already at 10 grams. See that is the thing. When I first started this diet I wasnt even concuming 10 grams in the entire day. But I was not drinking the protein shake or anything else other than water. Looks like I need to be more strict with what I drink. I have always been a big water drinker, but you know sometimes it is nice to drink something other than water. Bummer!!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Most people use the mio-type pods to do something other than water. I like the LaCroix "sodas" too...once in a while. I do hot tea. I'll drink heavy cream straight. I make shakes. I just try to keep the portion reasonable, and adjust the rest of my day.

But if you get away from the splenda packets and get to a liquid, you'll cut those carbs. The carbs are from the filler, not the splenda itself.

Things like salami, pepperoni, and beef sticks, while not the best foods ever can give you protein and fats without carbs or with minimal carbs...rather than the nuts.

Don't forget to subtract fiber stuff... I'd just be more leery of carb creep or any actual sugary-like things...

And I don't use those sticks. If I'm alert and feeling okay, I don't worry about whether I'm in ketosis or not. You are creating ketones. As long as you keep your foods reasonable, I wouldn't worry.

And if you go over at the end of the day from LOW CARB VEGGIES, I never sweat that personally, but they don't affect me much. I just avoid breads and fake foods and starchy veggies, and of course sugar.
  • wishfullthinking79
    @KnitOrMiss I have been snacking on pepperoni a few times in the past week. mY boyfriend even brought home some deli pepperoni. Last week my son was eating some pepperoni pizza which smelled so good. I ate pepperoni and cheese. I do not normally eat the nuts at home, I just take them to class and to my intership. I do not want to bust out with something that smells. I hate when people do that. I have a very weak stomach. Oh and I can smell every little thing.
  • KnitOrMiss
    @KnitOrMiss I have been snacking on pepperoni a few times in the past week. mY boyfriend even brought home some deli pepperoni. Last week my son was eating some pepperoni pizza which smelled so good. I ate pepperoni and cheese. I do not normally eat the nuts at home, I just take them to class and to my intership. I do not want to bust out with something that smells. I hate when people do that. I have a very weak stomach. Oh and I can smell every little thing.

I was thinking more for BETWEEN classes, then carry a portable toothbrush or some gum... Not during class. Yes, I get you. I would not want to offend with smells. I try to have a fan on even when eating up at work!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

I was thinking more for BETWEEN classes, then carry a portable toothbrush or some gum... Not during class. Yes, I get you. I would not want to offend with smells. I try to have a fan on even when eating up at work!

As long as the portions are reasonable, I don't see a problem with a single portion daily, as long as you're not maxing out with cashews or something! LOL I also think I PMed, but you might try bumping your carbs up slowly. Since you don't seem to be as metabolically challenged as some folks here, you might be able to maintain nutritional ketosis at a higher level. I generally can up to the 35-40 range, as long as there's no added sugars, etc.