Deadlifts Died

Options
ktno1
ktno1 Posts: 297 Member
Hi all,

I've been lurking here for a while. Started SL in January and I'm in week 9.

Everything has been progressing nicely. Haven't failed a single DL rep.

Last workout I deadlifted 61kg for 5x5. I had to work for it but it wasn't ridiculously hard. I felt like I could've done more reps. Certainly didn't feel close to failure.

I've been increasing DL weight by 5kg (started at 11kg) so today I went for 66kg. The bar literally would not move. All I could do was laugh. I dropped the weight to 63.5kg (a 2.5 instead of 5kg increase). Still wouldn't budge.

My question is do I try 66 again? Or go back to 61 and try 2.5kg increments from now on? Or am I just having a bad day? At 5'9 and 93kg, I feel like I should be able to progress a lot further. Has anyone experienced this? How do you get through it?

Thanks all!

Replies

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    It could just be a bad day. I have had many a days when I can lift a certain weight, then a few days later can't get it to budge. If I were you, I would probably do 63.5kg and see how it goes.

I found that once I got to a certain weight, I needed 5 pound increases on my deadlifts instead of the standard 10 pounds. I just couldn't manage 10 pound increases after a certain point.
  • 5minty
    5minty Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Wow that is great progress in 9 weeks! I am on my first week of SL and only a couple days here with this group, just wanted to say hi & welcome :)
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i would go at least ten pounds UNDER my last weight that was good (previous workout), and try it again. my deadlift form drifts way more than i'd like it to, and i'm finding that up in the top ranges of the weights i can manage, there's no wiggle room. the tiniest deviation makes it so the bar never even pretends that it might-maybe move.

so my first thought is to drop down and try something distinctly easy, just to get a clear look at my form. my definition of 'easy' being 'heavy enough that i do have to use the muscles. but nowhere near heavy enough to make it so i can't 'feel' whether they're all doing the right thing.'

apart from that, if your warmups felt good and that working weight was just a flat wall, it might just be one of those days when deadlift's not working for you. it does tax your central nervous system like no other lift, so temporary burnouts like that one have happened to me.