Physical Therapy *Update*

jaylas_mom21
jaylas_mom21 Posts: 311 Member
So I went yesterday for my first physical therapy appointment for my si joint. The girl started out by having me walk and said I had a funny looking walk then felt my hips and had me turn and bend over all different ways. After I laid down on the table she felt my hips and said they were uneven and then measured my legs and said my right leg is 1/4 inch longer than my left! That was nice to find out at 28 years old! lol...so she pushed against me in all these different positions to try to get my hip in place and said she felt like it was good. I had to get this insert for my shoe to make my left leg longer to hopefully get my body more in line. I have to go 3 times a week for the first 3 weeks to make sure it stays in place. I was pretty sore today after all the positioning and exercises she made me do.

The funny thing is, all the advice my doctor had given me to help the pain, she advised against. She said that heating pads and hot baths will help give you temporary relief but it loosens the ligaments even more making you more sore in the long run. She said I could use ice packs and tylenol and be very careful about my movements. Squat instead of bending over, get in and out of the car with your legs together, no lunge movements, and make sure to sleep on your side with a pillow between your legs.

I have to go back tomorrow so I will give another update after that. :)

Replies

• AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Sounds like it went pretty well, but sorry you're sore! I think the one leg longer thing is pretty common but definitely funny to find out at 28!
  • jaylas_mom21
    My pelvis was out of line again today! Hopefully it will stay put. If not, I will have to get some kind of brace thing. I'm at least getting a workout in at physical therapy! :)
  • ybodwen
    ybodwen Posts: 340 Member
    Hi! Been so out of it lately, did not realize you were going to PT.. everything OK?
  • jaylas_mom21
    I'm ok, just had a lot of si joint pain and went to pt and was told my pelvis was out of line. The physical therapist is trying to get it to stay in the right place and I'm doing a lot of strengthening exercises.
  • ybodwen
    Hope it works and you're good as new soon!

I myself have been having a lot of knee pain- particularly when I drive longer than 10 minutes (I work 25 min away..)
    My OB says "It's normal in pregnancy" and my doula/massage therapist gave me a massage last night- she said it's not muscle inflammation based on what she felt so massage won't help (it didn't).. do you think my next stop should be a PT?
  • jaylas_mom21
    Maybe so. My physical therapist told me it's very important to strengthen around the area of pain because the ligaments are loose right now and you need to make the muscles stronger to hold everything in place. Hope you feel better!
  • AsellusReborn
    How are you feeling now?
  • jaylas_mom21
    Not very good. I go to pt and feel better that day but within a couple days I seem to have a different pain. It's like when the adjust me my pain just seems to migrate! It's so frustrating. I'm to the point where I just don't know what to do. I guess since my joints are so loose, they just go wherever they want to! Today I'm having a new pain in my tailbone. :(
  • ybodwen
    aww :( that sucks! hope u feel better!
  • jaylas_mom21
    I am starting to have a little hope of getting better. I'm feeling a lot better and am having to wear a serola sacroiliac belt. My pain is still mostly on the right si joint but even yesterday when I went to pt and was feeling better, she still told me I was jacked...lol. Not what I wanted to hear!
  • jaylas_mom21
    I'm happy to say I'm feeling a lot better and now going down to 2 days a week of PT! :)
  • ybodwen
    Yay!! So happy to hear :)
  • AsellusReborn
    That's great!
  • jaylas_mom21
    Thank you! I'm so glad to be feeling better. Gives me hope of being normal again one day! :)