The Crazy Core Lady's Crazy Core Exercises

Options
jstout365
jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
I'm all about core strength. I make sure to do accessory core work most non-SL days. To me, my core is the foundation of all that I do so I make sure it is strong. I do a mix of core exercises with dumbbells, resistance bands, kettlebells, cables, medicine balls, other equipment, and body weight. Some of my core stuff involves other muscle groups so I can put 4-6 exercises together and get a good burn and accessory work done at the same time.

So, as requested in the Check in and Chat thread, a listing of core exercises:

***NOTE: All exercises can be increased in difficulty by adding weight or resistance. It is best to get familiar with the movement before increasing the difficulty. Like all things, form is very important to prevent injury.

Beginner:

Crunch
Plank - Can be done either with arms straight or on elbows (sometimes referred to as a hover)
Side plank
Bicycle crunches
Russian Twists - http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/russian-twist
Frog kicks - Can be done on a bench or on the floor
frogkick.jpg

Glute Bridges
Heel Touches - crunch and tap the back of your calves or heels
Supermans/Swimmers - back exercise
superman-exercise.jpg

Back extensions
Woodchoppers - can be done with kb, cables, resistance bands (also adds some leg/shoulder/upper back into the mix)
25/75 situps - Start in the up position of a sit up, slowly lower to just above the ground (25% up) and come up to 75%. So never all the way up or all the way down.

Intermediate:

Roman/Captains chair Crunches or leg lifts
incline situps - difficulty depends on angle of bench
Leg lifts
Crunch to extension - So crunch in with your upper body and lower body then extend arms over head and legs out. Make sure your lower back stays flat on the floor. If it raises up, keep your legs higher.
Cable twists
Spider crunches
Leg lift to bottoms up/flag pole - basically leg lift to vertical then push hips up with a crunch and end on your traps.
Kettlebell Pirate ships - http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/kettlebell-pirate-ships

Advanced:

Stability ball pikes
Toes to bar - vertical leg lift from pull up bar
Vertical leg raises/ crunches from dip bars - keep straight arms to engage shoulder stability
Barbell roll out
Hanging frog kicks - Frog kicks done from the pull up bar

Additional websites with good core exercises

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/finder/lookup/filter/muscle/id/13/muscle/abdominals
http://www.acefitness.org/acefit/exercise-library/1/

Replies

• Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Thanks Crazy Core Lady! This is a great list! :bigsmile:
  • alisaglem
    alisaglem Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Awesome list! Thank you! I've never heard of some of these or seen them done I think. :embarassed:
  • cpiton
    cpiton Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Yay!:bigsmile: Thank you for doing this! :flowerforyou:

I was going to post this in the other thread, but I'll do it here instead.
    I did alternate heel touchers, crunches, cross body crunches, Janda crunches with exercise ball, flutter kicks, plate twists with 25# plate in my SL workout. 1x12-15 on all.

What would you add/remove from my list, Crazy Core Lady? Maybe increase reps/sets and rotate exercises within the SL workouts?

Also, I ran across this workout on bodybuilding.com and thought it looked interesting:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/single-arm-training-the-ab-solution-youve-never-thought-of.html

Now I've got another reason to return to my beloved single arm dumbbell rows. :heart:
    What are your thoughts?

Thanks, again! Some wonderful ideas here. :)
  • jstout365
    Options
    Looks good for the most part. I would only suggest working in some back exercises like back extensions or a full core like planks and side planks. If you work the front, remember to work the back.

Single arm training is a great way to engage the core. If you think Pendlay rows hit the core, try doing a one arm version. Natural instinct is to rotate the shoulders, but to keep still you have to really tighten the core. I would say about 50% of the core moves I do hit more than one muscle group. Like the pirate ships, wood choppers, pikes, single arm rows, and plyometric medicine ball push ups. Even things like an overhead walking lunge where you hold weight over your head while you lunge. Really, anything where you hold your arms overhead will engage the core.

I like the compound moves and exercises for efficiency. If I can smoke my muscles in 15 min or less, then I feel I'm doing it right.

The variations and number of good core exercises are too many to really list.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    tagging for awesome info.
  • pintobean
    pintobean Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the list! This is good. I also believe that having a strong core is very, very important.
    Maybe, we can make it a sticky :)

And, I'm glad that I've done them all in the past 4 years at some point or another in my lifting routine :). I'll be adding some from here to my routine.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Awesome list! Thanks, jstout!
  • belle_of_the_bar
    belle_of_the_bar Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    So I tried the frog kicks today and Oh MY! Feeling the burn. Thanks for the list!
  • cpiton
    Options
    Looks good for the most part. I would only suggest working in some back exercises like back extensions or a full core like planks and side planks. If you work the front, remember to work the back.

Single arm training is a great way to engage the core. If you think Pendlay rows hit the core, try doing a one arm version. Natural instinct is to rotate the shoulders, but to keep still you have to really tighten the core. I would say about 50% of the core moves I do hit more than one muscle group. Like the pirate ships, wood choppers, pikes, single arm rows, and plyometric medicine ball push ups. Even things like an overhead walking lunge where you hold weight over your head while you lunge. Really, anything where you hold your arms overhead will engage the core.

I like the compound moves and exercises for efficiency. If I can smoke my muscles in 15 min or less, then I feel I'm doing it right.

The variations and number of good core exercises are too many to really list.

Thanks! I'll stick some planks in at the end. I was trying to get out of doing those dastardly things. >:) Though I don't hate them nearly as much as lunges. I was doing a 5 minute plank this time last year. That's pretty good for me. I'll get that time back up.

Yay for single arm rows! My all time favorite. I was doing them with a 55lb DB 3x6 before I started SL. I'm going back to those lovely things. I miss 'em. ????

I'm also going to do pirate ships because I like the name. :bigsmile:
  • jstout365
    Options
    cpiton - you can always look at increasing the difficulty level of the plank rather than holding it for 5 min. If you can do 2 min, try adding in 30 seconds (each side) of rotations from the plank into a side plank. So start in plank, after 30 seconds, lift one arm off the ground and rotate to that side while stretching your arm up in the side plank, hold for 2 seconds and rotate back down, but don't let your arm touch back down. Hold for 2 seconds and repeat for the 30 seconds, then switch sides. Hold plank for 30 seconds to finish out.

Or add arm and leg lifts into the planks where you bring one arm up to a "salute" pose with hand to forehead while lifting the opposite leg (if too unstable, leave legs in place). From the salute pose, extend arm out to side and then bring forward as if pointing arm above head. Return arm to side, then hand to forehead, and then back down. Repeat with opposite arm/leg.

If something isn't clear, let me know. I'm not always the best at describing what to do. I've been considering putting some videos on youtube of me doing core stuff just so I have an easy reference to point at.
  • cpiton
    Options
    Good idea! I know exactly what you mean. I'm actually doing some of these exercises right now. (On a 3 min break between bench presses) I came here to see if I forgot anything. :bigsmile:
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Completely awesome. Thank you!
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Those are great abs exercises. I belong to a gym and abs exercises are part of the spinning classes I take. Between personal training and spinning I probably work my abs about 4 times per week. Lifting would be very difficult if the core is not strong.
  • inkysmurf
    inkysmurf Posts: 168
    Options
    Brilliant list! and exactly what I need - going to work these (aherm not all of them) - to my lifting days as extras to help get my core stronger - also hoping to try and do some jack knifes on my door suspension kit as well.

Cheers
  • Sugar_Junkie
    Sugar_Junkie Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Excellent. I am going to put some of these to use tomorrow!!!! Thanks for the tips/list.
  • kitkat4141
    Options
    Teacher in my abs class decided to do a different version of extensions and I strained my lower lumbar doing them. UGH. Now I am having to de-load my weights for lifting. I'm pretty strong in my core so it surprised me when I woke up with back pain the next day.
  • jstout365
    Options
    kitkat - that really sucks. I'm sorry to hear that you hurt your back. What variation of extensions were you doing?
  • kitkat4141
    Options
    kitkat - that really sucks. I'm sorry to hear that you hurt your back. What variation of extensions were you doing?

It was the one I call Superman where you are prone on the floor with arms outstretched. The instructor had us keep our feet glued to the floor and lift our arms and torso. Normally that is not a problem but he was going fast, almost like a quick pulse. It was too fast a pace and I hyper-extended my back. At the time I was thinking I should slow down but didn't. It feels better today but it did require a drastic reduction in weight for Workout B. I took the opportunity to go ATG on the squats and incorporate the proper hand grip and widened stance recommended by the Mark Rippletoe video.
  • jstout365
    Options
    Yeah, I find that most core exercises need to be done at a controlled pace. Hopefully you are able to recover. Great idea about working on form since you are dropping in the weight. Supermans are a good exercise, but they are not a good one for speed. I don't know why so many fitness professionals are so interested in doing things super fast.
  • kitkat4141
    Options
    Yeah, I find that most core exercises need to be done at a controlled pace. Hopefully you are able to recover. Great idea about working on form since you are dropping in the weight. Supermans are a good exercise, but they are not a good one for speed. I don't know why so many fitness professionals are so interested in doing things super fast.

Quantity over quality is pretty typical for some instructors, usually male. Don't want to sound mean but this particular man is a genius in spin class but lacking in the abs department. His exercises are outstanding but I can never keep up with his pace. And his form isn't the best. I happened to exercise poor judgment and am paying for it now, LOL. Never again.