Anyone else using Dumbbells only?

Options
tigerblue
tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
Hi,

New to the group here, but not new to MFP. I've been here for six years now! Initially lost over 40 lbs, but I've gained back 20. I'm still relatively small at 5'3" and 134 lbs. I am at a healthy bmi. But I am more comfortable around 120-125.

Initially I lost the "right" way--slowly and not doing anything crazy, but now I can't seem to re lose the 20 I've gained. (Perimenopause???). So I am working on strength, conditioning, and muscle building. I recently hired a personal trainer to write some workouts for me and set me on a "plan". But let me give a bit of workout history.

I started out walking for my exercise (and ate back calories per the MFP plan). I progressed to running via C25K and learned to really enjoy it. My first foray into weight training was Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. I know, not especially heavy. But for someone with NO MUSCLE, it worked great. I combined it with my running, alternating days. I progressed with JM by using heavier weights, and by using her more challenging programs, through Body Revolution. Finally I could see I needed more.

I found a dumbbell lifting program online and downloaded it. It is 3 days a week full body. I used it and progressed a bit more. Finally I started using it with some planned progression on the weights, actually keeping records, etc, instead of just going willy-nilly by how I felt on a given day. As I mentioned, I recently hired a trainer to help. I couldn't add weight enough to progress using the full body workout every time, because I was hitting the same muscles every time, sometimes on back-to-back days.

So now I have a bi/tri day, a shoulder/core day, a chest/back day, and a leg day. I am doing some sort of cardio on the off days, when possible. If the weather permits, I run, if not then fall back on a cardio dvd workout (sometimes going back to Jillian with light weights). I also add some cardio to all but leg day, if schedule permits.

Anyway, because of my crazy schedule, it works best for me to work out at home, so my current routine uses Dumbbells. I have added heavier ones as needed (wow they get expensive!). I hope someday to regularly get back to the gym, but that is not where life has me now.

So, anyone else out there lifting heavy with Dumbbells only? I'd love some pals for support. Message me and add me.

Replies

• prettycunninghat
    prettycunninghat Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hiya I'm very new to strength training and am looking to just start with dumbbells ( haven't ordered any yet still looking for the right ones any tips welcomed) am using home made ones at the moment.
  • sreagan6604
    sreagan6604 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I did for a while but it didn't really make me any stronger. I mainly use them as accessories to help hit what a squat,bench, and deadlift don't.
  • PikaJoyJoy
    PikaJoyJoy Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Hello there :)

I'm a dumbbell user (with bodyweight and band exercises mixed in) because I don't have access to barbells. It's pretty easy to find db exercises to substitute with barbell ones. I'm currently starting in on Nia Shank's Beautiful Badass program and substitute dumbbell exercises in.

@prettycunninghat - Look for dumbbells that use plates. That way you can buy heavier plates versus a complete other set of dumbbells.

Here's a link to the set I have - https://www.amazon.com/CAP-Barbell-40-pound-Adjustable-Dumbbell/dp/B000VCDXNS/ref=sr_1_3?s=exercise-and-fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1493701017&sr=1-3&keywords=dumbbell+set&refinements=p_89:CAP+Barbell

And it's easy to find and get heavier plates for this on Amazon as well, when you're ready. :)
  • Penelope416
    Penelope416 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hello.
    I am using dumbbells as well. I purchased the Power Blocks last year and I love them. They are adjustable dumbells and for beginners and they save a lot of space. They go from 3 pounds to 24 pounds per hand.
  • guardianwill
    guardianwill Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I use dumbbells pretty regularly in my workouts a lot of times I use them to either pre or post exhaust my muscles before/after main workout but incorporate a lot of different exercises to use during regular workout as well. @prettycunninghat I use a set from IronMaster and though a bit spendy I feel like it is a great investment.