Fitbit Blaze: First Week Impression

Options
GBO323
GBO323 Posts: 336 Member
Ok, a little less than a week, but I've had my first battery cycle and want to post my First Impression here. On a history note, I've used FitBits starting with the Zip, One, Force, Surge, and now the Blaze. It's linked with MyFitnessPal and is an important part of my Health Universe.

Received it on Monday afternoon along with the accessory Leather Watch Band. FitBit's original bands rash out my skin. I converted steps already taken for the day from S2 Smartwatch into the FitBit. Yes, there is a way to manually report steps. Smiley Happy

Slight ding for lack of simplified instruction manual. Went to website, loaded up my Windows10 Fitbit app and connected it up. Initial firmware download took about 20 minutes. No issues. Went back to work. Smiley Happy Place on charger to get through rest of day while at my desk.

Set up the Call/Text/Calendar notifications. Default Samsung Text app only gave me Text notification. Switching to Google Messenger/SMS now gives me Notification and Text message. I did not opt for Classic Bluetooth connection for music since I want to save battery and work the music on my phone. I don't care for a full smartwatch experience, so not speaking commands to it or seeing weather, etc is bonus for me.

Turned off the Heart Rate Monitor. My experience with the Surge was that I got almost twice the calories burned back vs not using it. And, I want to save battery. Too many posts from others with same experience.

Set display to Max. Hard to see it otherwise outside or in bright lights.

Leather band is quite comfortable. 6 days on and no rash.

Battery. I'm impressed. Placed it on charger all night Monday and put it on wrist Tuesday morning, 7am. Got an "Empty Battery" icon on Saturday morning at 10:30a. That is 4 days and 3 hours of battery life. While I have HR turned off and no classic Bluetooth used, I do utilize all of the notifications and max brightness. My hope was 4 days and Fitbit nailed it.

I use original clock face and tap it to always see steps. A feature the Surge is sorely missing. Hope more watch faces are coming...or better yet, a watchface creator.

The screen is easy to read. Liking the touch screen function vs messing with the side buttons at times.

Step count seems to be accurate when I've checked it.

The ConnectedGPS feature is easier to use then people make it out to be. I like being able to sort the exercises on the FitBit app so I can get right to my Bike verses scrolling to find. Once I pick it, it's easy to start the GPS exercise. Once done, I see it on the App map and FitBit Activity Log.

Vibrations are just enough to get my attention.

Reaching Goal vibrates the Watch and blows up colors. Nice touch.

I'm glad to have gotten 4 days of battery. Having to take the watch off and pop the unit out of the band and placing it into the cheap feeling boxee charging station is a strange way to have designed this process. And for now, replacement chargers aren't available. Hopeful that the FitBit unit will handle being popped in and out regularly. Glad it isn't nightly. Still better than the Surge charging cable that always popped out.
Overall, I am pleased with the Blaze. It's the right mix of functional and battery life. With a few tweaks, FitBit will continue to reign supreme on the Fitness Tracker market.

Ok..mine is done. Your turn!