Not ovulating

Options
Fhoover
Fhoover Posts: 62 Member
So I got some bad news yesterday. I am not ovulating. I know there is medication for this but has anyone naturally started ovulating on their own after weight loss. I'm so confused and all I want is a baby! Any information would be great.. Thank you everyone..

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I think that Inositol is one of the things that brings hormone into balance (it's B8, our bodies just don't produce enough of it), and Vitex is another hormone balancing supplement, but bringing hormones into balance may or may not induce ovulation. I think @Dragonwolf has some information for what might work here.

Losing weight is crucial to restoring any sort of hormone balance, though, and long term health gains help everything, so I'd agree that this is helpful too.
  • aSearch4Me
    aSearch4Me Posts: 397 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I totally understand your frustration on this one.

I started ovulating on my own following a near 60# weight loss (actually, I was about 40-50# down when I started ovulating, 60 now), but that was combined with Metformin 1000mg extended release b.i.d, a LCHF diet, a few other dietary supplements. I used to frequently go 3-6 months without a cycle (annovulatory), and wasn't ovulating even on my shorter cycles. I was on a LCHF diet for 3 months before I was started on Metformin. The Metformin restored ovulatory cycles within 1 month for me (& regulated my cycle like clockwork to a 32 day cycle). So I'm not really sure how much was the Metformin vs. the weight loss, or a combination of those, with starting my ovulatory cycles. But I can't imagine life without Metformin again. I think it helped accelerate my weight loss a bit, kills carb cravings, & overall I just feel better & clearer-headed on it.

My doctor was going to start me on either Clomid or Femara (other medications used to help induce ovulation) this April if I didn't get pregnant...but...a positive HPT in January changed that :smile: . So far [knocks-on-wood], everything looks great & I'm currently 10w4d. Not out of the woods by any means, but my doc seemed pretty positive about my 8w ultrasound.

As a bit of a history, my husband & I had been "not actively trying but not preventing" (i.e. not tracking temperatures, ovulation dates [that weren't happening] etc) for 5 years hoping for a surprise "Yay, we're pregnant!" moment that never came. It was only after several months of a very dedicated life change as far as diet & exercise, and the support of Metformin, Inositol, & other vitamins/minerals that we got to this point. More details on my story can be found on the "Conceiving success stories" which is a sticky post on this group. But if you have any questions about what worked for me, just let me know.

Edited to add: I'm 5'9 & currently 229...so still not "normative weight" by any means....
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely look into inositol and vitex. Also, even if you don't actually go low carb (which I also recommend), at least make sure you're getting enough fat. Fats, especially saturated and monounsaturated fats, are crucial to hormone health.
  • pineygirl
    pineygirl Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I wasn't ovulation for a while in my mid 20's. I can me off the pill...got one very light period 7 weeks later....then nothing for 8 months. Then a really long heavy period and nothing for 4 months. I was trying to take go on Accutane and these lack of periods made it hard to verify that I wasn't pregnant (needed to have a period,take a blood pregancy test, go on the pill, and take another test a month later).

I asked my OB/GYN to test me for PCOS then, but he said I was too skinny to have it and the pill would fix my irregular cycles....

Well I spend 3 years on the pill, came off and did start ovulating again on my own. My cycles are long...around 40 days. And it turned out I did have PCOS....which made it not so hard to get pregnant but very hard to stay pregnant. I've had 3 miscarriages.

Mine wasn't so much about weight loss or insulin resistance. I'm not overweight or insulin resistant. My hypothalmic-pituitary-ovarian axis is messed up. My FSH rises too slowly and my eggs take too long to mature...
  • Fhoover
    Fhoover Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I go on Weds 3/23 back to the Dr to talk about my options. He put me on a med to restart my period which has started again.. I can so that I have not missed it lol... I know I need to have it to help me on the road to getting pregnant but I get these nasty clots of blood that come out and it's horrible. I am hoping that with the weight loss that my periods lessen a little in their intensity. I lose a lot of blood when I'm passing those clots and they are rather large in size. I just want to thank all of you for giving me such good advice. I hope to have some type of answer soon.. ;)