Chinese food $&@$!

Options
Tanukiko
Tanukiko Posts: 186 Member
edited March 2016 in Social Groups
So yesterday was 2.5 weeks LCHF (my husband was 5 days in). A friend of mine had a bday dinner at a Chinese Bbq Place last night. I steeled myself and went.

I thought I did really well! I stuck to just meat and veg (no rice or the fried rice they ordered) and kept my portions in check. Well...about 30 minutes after the meal my husband and I both started having the worst painful gas we've had since starting LCHF. Must have been all the cornstach they use to stirfry.

Im better this morning and back on LCHF horse. It was tasty but not worth the pain. Wonder if it kicked me out of ketosis.

Do you guys ever indulge in Chinese?

Replies

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    It could have also been the sauce. If they use Soy Sauce in anything, that has gluten in it. The only time I get Chinese I get everything steamed and then use my own Coconut Aminos to add flavor.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I don't generally have that issue, but I stick to things in a butter sauce or brown sauce, which I've always tolerated well, or shrimp (peel & eat) or the occasional chicken stick. I've generally only knocked myself out by volume, not composition of meals...
  • MyPrimalLife
    MyPrimalLife Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Tanukiko wrote: »

Do you guys ever indulge in Chinese?

LAST NIGHT! LOL
    i'm allergic to soy, so i was breaking-out in hives, and i am allergic to wheat, and i ate lo mein noodles.
    i'm an idiot. LOL :D

• LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I avoid Chinese food like the plague as its so hard to avoid the sugar unless you go somewhere really authentic. But in the past, when low carb for me was 50-100g, and I had to do Chinese I'd keep it super simple with steamed chicken and steamed veg, no sauce. And if you ordered takeout, you could just add butter to your veg, though I realise that doesn't help in a restaurant, unless you carry a mini log of kerrygold in your purse lol.
  • motown13
    motown13 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I do, but I make my own.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I also avoid Chinese food, it's too complicated for me to avoid sugary marinades and sauces. Most Chinese food places offer Japanese Sashimi App Sampler. If I have to go it's usually 6-8 pieces of raw fish with ginger and wasabi and one fortune cookie. :)
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I make my own. Take out places use way too much sugar and/or starch in the sauces.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I just get plain steamed protein and vegetables (no sauce, no rice, no salt, sugar) and if I'm at home I make a quick peanut sauce. If I'm at a restaurant, I'll ask for tamari or hot sauce.
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I love Chinese. It's my favorite food and I'd eat it every day if I could.. I try to do my own stir fry these days. We have a really good mongolian BBQ place nearby that I eat at a lot. Avoid the rice and just have the dinner and egg drop soup, but try not to indulge too much as there is some sugar in the sauce. It's never made me stall, although it does make me retain water a little the day after. They say they don't use MSG, but I have my suspicions.

We're doing an all you can eat sushi/hibachi place this weekend. (I suppose I love Asian food in general LOL.) I'm not a huge sushi fan, so I can avoid it, but I am looking forward to the hibachi sans rice. YUM!