Stride Length at different paces

Options
d_thomas02
d_thomas02 Posts: 9,048 Member
How do you handle different stride lengths at different paces?

Just got my Charge HR dialed in to my long 10K run pace of 5 mph (12:00 pace) and then did a Army Physical Fitness Test short 2 mile run at 6.1 mph (9:50 pace) and my FitBit distance came up short. Obviously my stride is longer at 6.1 mph than at 5. How do you handle it? Set your stride length before each run to anticipate your pace?

Replies

• hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Can you use it in conjunction with the app GPS? Of course, that means carrying your phone and I don't know if you do that or not, and I'm not sure how it would overlap the HR data.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    It will dynamically adjust the actual used stride length per step based on the impact that is seen based on the given stride length and weight stats.

So if your mass was more by a decent amount (carrying something?), or the stride length stat is at one end of usable range - it may not have adjusted well to other side of range.

Normally seen with walking stat if someone changes it to their fast exercise pace stride length, and then discovers the grocery store shuffle is way off, as is most of their day.

It's like it can adjust so much, then at end of range it starts losing accuracy.

I've had excellent success, actually shocking the first few times I saw it - picking a stride length from an average pace I'd do running. Which can vary from 7 - 9 / mile depending on amount of hills - which is interesting that Fitbit isn't aware of and the effect of impact is exactly opposite on distance.

And most of my training is jog/walk intervals at longer distances just to take a load off the knees. And yet it'll still get it at 1-3% accuracy or better, like my last long run Fitbit Zip saw 12.17 miles when GPS saw 12.1.

That's incredible in my mind knowing how it estimates.