Where to click "start exercise" on MFP

Options
masull
masull Posts: 3 Member
When I just added the Fitbit app, the instructions (which have now gone away) said for accurate accounting of calories burned during the exercise, that I need to "start exercise" on MFP on my phone. Does anyone know where to do this? Also, some other people were talking about whether they set their activity level at active, sedentary, etc. I don't see where to do that either. Thanks!

Replies

• NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend that you read the FAQ found in the stickies, if you haven't already. Here's a handy link: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10098937/faq-syncing-logging-food-exercise-calorie-adjustments-activity-levels-accuracy/p1

Most of us do not log exercise in MFP. We log all food in MFP and all exercise (even exercise the Fitbit can't track properly) in Fitbit.

Your activity level in MFP is set in your Diet/Fitness profile. There isn't an equivalent setting in Fitbit.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking this, I had the same question. What Nancy said makes sense for logging. Thanks
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,757 Member
    Options
    masull wrote: »
    When I just added the Fitbit app, the instructions (which have now gone away) said for accurate accounting of calories burned during the exercise, that I need to "start exercise" on MFP on my phone. Does anyone know where to do this? Also, some other people were talking about whether they set their activity level at active, sedentary, etc. I don't see where to do that either. Thanks!

This might be referring to pushing the button on your Fitbit, several models give you a snapshoot of the session when you do that. You push the button on the Fitbit at the beginning and end of a work out session.

Nancy's info is helpful too. Also remember that if you do log exercise in MFP it will overwrite the Fitbit data, and just keep any steps that are recorded, this messes with the cals. burned results. Fitbit dbase is much better than MFPs.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    masull wrote: »

This might be referring to pushing the button on your Fitbit, several models give you a snapshoot of the session when you do that. You push the button on the Fitbit at the beginning and end of a work out session.

Nancy's info is helpful too. Also remember that if you do log exercise in MFP it will overwrite the Fitbit data, and just keep any steps that are recorded, this messes with the cals. burned results. Fitbit dbase is much better than MFPs.

Yep, that's exactly what I was thinking.
  • masull
    masull Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks all! Very helpful tips