changeover to 5-3-1

Options
canadianlbs
canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
this may be a selfishly stupid/lazy question that's already been answered a zillion times, but i'd love a me-specific conversation about it:

backstory:

- just hit two years since the first day i ever entered a weight room. started work with a good no-bs trainer about 6 months ago.

- until now i've done 5-5-A on all lifts when i'm in mr trainer's space (every friday with lifts alternating, so basically each lift happens every other friday with him). on my own i've either done that same scheme, or used 5x5 depending on how i felt etc etc.

plot twist:

- we decided yesterday it's time to put me on 5x3x1 for bench. this because i've been doing 2.5 lb increases each time and hitting my reps, but just barely. yesterday i probably could have done the new weight of 80 if i'd really been willing to grind, but i wasn't.

question:

so that's the basic facts. my question is whether it's better to shift everything to 5x3x1 and make the change global? or is it better to stay at 5x5 until i start to hit the same failure ceiling on each of the lifts? or doesn't it matter that much? i have to say it feels really nice to be benching and NOT have it be a test of my determination and strength of character every time, so i'm very tempted to go the same way with all of them.

thanks.

Replies

• christch
    christch Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I've never tried 5 3 1 but read good stuff about it - mind you that could just be good marketing.
    What does your trainer suggest? And how much weight are your adding each week or set increase with your progressive overload are you getting?
    The only real way you're going to know is by giving it a go for a couple/few weeks and see how it feels.
    I would be interested in how you get on and whether you make more progress this way.
    Sorry not alot of help.... I know.
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I switched from 3x5 to 5-3-1 in July of last year for similar reasons and also to save a little time, as workouts were starting to get so long. I switched all at once. Pluses are that everything is in one place in one app on my phone (Wendlerized, highly recommended), and that the workouts aren't as time-consuming. With 3x5, between waiting for the rack, the bench, etc. and rest periods as the weight got heavy, I never seemed to have time for accessories. I also love having an "easy" week built in. I could probably be progressing faster on squats, but I like the 5-3-1 pace (and I'm adding 2.5 on everything), and I have a very it's-not-a-race mentality (read: I am naturally lazy and noncompetitive). And it's working really well for me so far. I've failed on deadlift and bench and then dropped down and easily broken through where I failed on the way back up.

What does your trainer say?
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    didn't ask mr t and i'm impatient, so asking here instead of waiting for friday. for my situation the logistics of pure 5-3-1 may not be what i want, since i only trainer once a week. so that would mean only getting a form check on one lift per week . . . i'm sort of pondering the various implications.

but i love not having to grind in every workout, just because i did x the last time :)
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    but i love not having to grind in every workout, just because i did x the last time :)

I think 2 lifts per session would be a good happy medium. Or you could do each lift once but do more than one just on Fridays with the trainer, depending on what the rest of your schedule is like. I know it's supposed to be a 4 day/week program, but I only do 3 days/week (see above re my lazy and noncompetitive nature). Cycling is more important to me and I started lifting to help me get better at that, so this way I get 2 good weekday rides in, and often I do at least a third shorter ride as a warm-up before lifting or a relaxed ride for transportation on one of the days I lift, especially now that the weather is decent. That was rough when I was deadlifting at almost every session.
  • christch
    christch Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Was it the volume of 5x5 that was beginning to get to much or the jump in amount of weight ie 2.5lb on bench each session. Can you put the 531 format into your 5x5 program so if day 1 is squat, bench ohp use the 531 progression? What about increasing rep range rather than weight range?
    I know that I am starting to struggle with bench to now at 40kg (88 lb?) and have been stuck at 2x3 reps for weeks with a normal session 3x5 35, 3x5 37.5 then 2x3 40 if I'm lucky. I don't want to try to push it harder bcos without a spotter I know I'll end up wearing the bar.

How long are your trainer sessions -could he have a look at the lifts you're concerned about with form weekly? Have a play with the program in the next couple of days and see if it gives you what you're looking for, then talk with your trainer next time you see him. Maybe you're trying to do too much each session.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    christch wrote: »
    Can you put the 531 format into your 5x5 program

sure. but what i was asking here was whether or not i should do that. i already know that i can, if i choose to do it.

[ quote] What about increasing rep range rather than weight range? [/quote]

could, but that's not my focus right now. i like the idea of 5-3-1 a lot. all i wanted from this was people's thoughts about doing a wholesale transition versus just doing it lift-by-lift.
    I don't want to try to push it harder bcos without a spotter I know I'll end up wearing the bar.

i'm somewhat the same. i've been working extraordinarily hard in every bench set, but getting all of them. this time it didn't feel like i could get it without losing form and/or possibly harming something.
    Have a play with the program in the next couple of days and see if it gives you what you're looking for, then talk with your trainer next time you see him.

kind of what i'm already doing :p i opened this thread to see what supplemental information i could glean from other group members who've done the same switch.