Stride Length

tiffkittyw
tiffkittyw Posts: 366 Member
Hi everyone, I'm really bad at math so I was wondering if someone who loves math could help me figure out my stride length? I used map my walk to track my distance and in 1 mile I walked 2,397 steps. What is my stride length for Fitbit? Thanks!

Replies

• tiffkittyw
    uqqzcgtnz8w1.png
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    A mile is 63,360 inches... divided by 2397 steps... is 26.43 inches per step... so about 2 ft, 2.4 inches? I never filled out my stride length on my fitbit. haha
  • tiffkittyw
    Thank you!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Now was that exercise level pace?

And is that your average pace for all activities all day long?

Your Fitbit can adjust the actual used stride length based on actual impact seen, but the farther away the current pace is from the pace used for the stride length stat - the worse the estimate.

So you could be dead on for an exercise walk - which is how much of your walking time daily?

And then it could be off by 10% or worse for the other 95% of the day (or whatever difference you get, you get be really sedentary besides exercise walks).

Or you get a stride length stat based on average pace, and then exercise is off by maybe 5% short for that brief time, but rest of the daily walking is right on.

And for calorie burn for the daily activities - it's steps that matter, not HR, which would be used for the exercise walking.

Just a thought.
  • tiffkittyw
    Oh wow that's a lot of information thank you. I was walking at a normal leisurely pace when I tracked my steps. I walk on my breaks at work and I'm not trying to get a major work out in, just additional steps. My main workout of the day is either a 40 minute circuit training class or 1 hour on an elliptical machine. My leisurely walking accounts for 1 hour and 80-90 minutes of my day plus any additional times I get up from my desk at work etc... So the majority of my daily steps. I never go for a fast, over 3mph walk besides maybe my pace on the elliptical. I hope I didn't mess things up.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Then you did valid test to get a stride length that is appropriate for the vast majority of the day - and the much shorter more intense walking you may do as exercise as say warmup for something else, may be a tad off - but that's only for distance for the time done.
    Calories will be based on HR anyway.

The elliptical isn't correct for steps usually anyway, and those steps even if accurately seen don't translate to real world distance anyway, so the fact the Fitbit may be off doesn't matter.
    Again, calories will be based on HR, so ......

You got it.
  • tiffkittyw
    Thank you!