Newbie question about deadlifts using just the barbell

Options
algrif37
algrif37 Posts: 107 Member
This is my second workout day with StrongLifts and I am supposed to do deadlifts today. My question is if I'm not using plates on the barbell how do I place it on the floor so I'm not bending completely over every time I'm lifting the bar? I'm not sure if that makes sense. When I watch the videos on deadlifts it seems straightforward enough but the bar is elevated off the floor because of the plates. I feel like I'm going to hurt my back having to reach down and then lift up every time and my back is not that strong to begin with. Do I prop the bar up on something? And then lift up? I understand that my back should be fairly flat and I should be able to get it off the floor but, and I'm sorry if this is TMI, but I am very large breasted and I'm not going to be able to hold good form if I'm reaching down to the floor.hope this makes sense! Thank you

Replies

• jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    This is a common problem for those of us who can't start doing deadlifts or barbell rows with 35 lbs on each side. Some people stack weight plates on the floor at each end of the bar to get it to the right height, but that seems like a lot of extra lifting and lugging. My gym has a ton of aerobics steps and those little square plastic frames that go underneath the steps to make them the right height. I have found that a small stack of those square frames, flipped upside down, works perfectly to get the bar to the right height for me, and they are lightweight and easy to carry from their storage location to the weight area of the gym.
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    This is a common problem for those of us who can't start doing deadlifts or barbell rows with 35 lbs on each side. Some people stack weight plates on the floor at each end of the bar to get it to the right height, but that seems like a lot of extra lifting and lugging. My gym has a ton of aerobics steps and those little square plastic frames that go underneath the steps to make them the right height. I have found that a small stack of those square frames, flipped upside down, works perfectly to get the bar to the right height for me, and they are lightweight and easy to carry from their storage location to the weight area of the gym.

I do the same thing, and I never knew what those square plastic thingies were until just this minute. Sometimes I stack plates just because I know I'll be using them on the bar eventually.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    depending on your gym, they might even have special 'training' plates which are the same size as the 45s but only weigh ten pounds each. that would let you start pulling from the correct height right away - which i really really recommend because the idea is to get used to how a lift 'feels' from inside your own skin. it's worth asking them, because imo any gym that's taking your money ought to have them.

and if you use those then you're starting out with just 65 pounds.